WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Who are you?

Old 05-11-2013, 01:15 AM
KBR (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius

Thanks 656
Default Who are you?

The Beat is always changing. Long lived gone and newcomers take the stage. Who are you? What are you about? Why are you here in the Beat?

I realized later that I should have kicked this off with answers to my own questions. I'm Kirk. I joined the Beat 3 months shy of 3 years ago. I did well writing poetry as a child. between childhood and and college, I wrote nothing. I have a degree in English with a focus on creative writing. After college, I wrote nothing. Then, I joined the Beat when I understood that writing really was a part of me that required outlet. I joined to try to grow as a writer. I work in Information Technology, a profession known for consuming it's adherents whole. With very little time and good energy, I tend to work in 20 minute segments. 20 for the initial write and potentially 2 sets of 20 for rework. Rework can come from suggestions in posts by fellow Beaters or from my own reading of the new piece. I've tried one other site. I did not like it. I've published nothing. I enjoy getting critiqued and providing feedback for others. Sometimes there's fun banter on the posts. I have to say, I'm not very good at the banter. I'm so much more likely to SOL than LOL. I'm not with it like everyone else who has replied to this post so far. If life provides more time, maybe I can hang out here more often. I'd like that.

Last edited by KBR; 05-11-2013 at 11:15 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 AM
amberzak (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 57

I'm AmberZak, but my real name is Becky. I wrote screenplays and children's stories. I love films.
I live in England by the coast, and I've been telling stories since I could talk. But it was something I kept secret. I only showed teachers who seemed generally interested. I'd been out down too often.

I have a degree in English and creative writing with media and I'm hoping to start my masters in September.

I am a moderator on another writers forum, but I just wanted to try somewhere new and someone suggested here. I tried it out and I liked it so I'm staying.

A molehill is a mountain to an ant
Old 05-11-2013, 03:50 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Devon (Kimberly), wife of one, mother of four, writer by perfect happenstance. I live in the backwoods with black bears and coyotes, turkeys and a moose.

I've studied creative writing and editing, both on my own and through some college courses, and have been working on developing the same novel since my son was two (he's twelve now). In fact, this particular novel will be released on November 11th of this year.

I'm here because I'm an admin. Originally came here to get feedback on my projects, gave tons of feedback to others in the early years and got rewarded with mod status early on.

I feel like I'm one of those "old ones" here. Members have come and gone, returned, and some have never come back. I agree, the Beat is always changing, like the turning waters of the ocean. And it's always interesting to see what washes up along the shores.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:42 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Loz (Laura) - Live on an island that's much colder than I'd like it to be. I'm part of the WB be furniture. Either that, or I like the sofas here so I stick around even though they try to get rid of me. I'm all about the home made cookies, mugs of tea and fun stories to read, share, and critique when there's time.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 AM
CandraH

One of those oldies too.

My name's in my username, my location's in my location and I'm mostly here to hang out and waste time.

Not really writing anymore - art is what I do with my time - but when I joined I was. I got to know the folks here so I still hang out because they're fun to talk shit with. And I occasionally give critiques but those are getting thin on the ground since my focus is elsewhere.

I'm not here all the time but I pop up every now and then like the proverbial bad penny.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Whiskers, Jack (although not Jack Whiskers ). I'm a parent, have been with my partner for 17yrs, and scramble about the UK from time to time.

I've proofed, copy-eidted, content edited, but I've taken some serious time out lately to spend with hubby, who's pretty sick. I write erotica / erotic romance, I've secured contracts for four novel-length projects (and some shorts), and I love the fact I get to say I write hard-edged smut.

I'm here to help/talk/slack off on the rare occassion if/when I can.

I don't like feeding egos through online arguments, though. If it's rife on a writer's site, and I've seen a few where writers resort to school-yard bitch fghts, I'm more likely to cringe and walk away, mostly because of the damage those writers are doing to their reputation.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
Old 05-11-2013, 05:58 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

I'm an ex-mod from writingforums.com. When the site was bought out by a former member, I thought it best if I moved on. I got a lot of help from writing forums when I started, and I don't believe I would ever have been published without that help, so I suppose I'm here to pay that forward. But in reality I mostly hang around the Intellectual Table disagreeing with people.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 AM
Redlorry

I came here initially looking for advice about word counts. I stayed because I found great people, many of whom I've since made connections with outside of the forum. I wouldn't be published if it wasn't for some of the people I've met on Writer's Beat (some twenty short stories).

Being invited to become a mod here was a real compliment and has done me the world of good. It's helped me learn to hold my tongue and find diplomatic ways to express myself in discussions when I'd normally go in all guns blazing and look like a total harpy.

I'm publishing my first novel in December this year and I've got amazing practical and moral support from members and fellow staffers that's utterly invaluable. I've met amazing people and great friends here.

I love this place *soppy grin*
Old 05-11-2013, 07:36 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

I'm Steve. I go by JustcallmeEd because the first forum I belonged to asked that I provide a "handle" that was not based on my name. I couldn't think of anything so I put down, "JustcallmeEd".

I grew up writing but had not done anything with it for twenty years or more, other than the occasional letter to the Editor and legal stuff during the years of my troubles.

Then a daughter I have never met contacted members of my family. She told me, "I don't know you and I don't know who you are. Write me something. Tell me about yourself."

How do you tell a daughter you've never met who you are? I could tell her my age and occupation; where I live, but that doesn't really tell someone who you are.

I decided I would write stories about growing up, the things I did and the things that happened to me over the years - stories she would have heard from me and from friends, had her mother not taken her away.

Because that's all we are; the sum of our experiences. I started writing about my experiences and what I had learned from them and am now up to 82,000 words.

I had to start over at roughly 70,000 words because I foolishly put all my copies in one place, just for a minute, and they were lost.

I post because I've had no feedback on my writing for 20-plus years and I don't want to sound like a complete idiot to my daughter.

And because I like the conversation.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 PM
DunbarSI (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 8

Hello all. I'm SI and I'm new(ish). I'm... well, here.

Stumbled upon this site after searching for some feedback on query letters. So far all I've done is critique, because your guys' work got me super sidetracked, hah.

Happy to have found such awesome writing company

Oh, and if you have any questions, you can Ask Me Anything for a quick video response.

Last edited by DunbarSI; 05-11-2013 at 12:48 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 635

What a nice thread, KBR! It's fun to read something about our fellow members, old or new.

I'm Ilseum, which is 'muesli' spelled backwards. One of my friends once gave me the nickname Muesli because I had a celebrity crush on William Moseley. Once I found out Muesli backwards was Ilseum, I thought it sounded fun and started to use it as a username around the internet.

I've been on the Beat for a long time, and came here initially to get some help developing my characters through the Character Clinics. They were a ton of help, and thanks to the interactions in that section of the forum, I managed to put together one of the fantasy worlds I'm working on. It's my baby, and I've been working on/with it for almost four years now, I think. I don't write nearly as much as I'd like to, and I'm trying to get back into the groove again by pushing myself to take some more time to critique pieces here, and stimulate myself to get back to writing and just get that darn first draft ready.

I also got together with my boyfriend through this site, really -- when we found out writing was a common passion I gave him the link to WB, and we started communicating through there. So all good memories here

Like Devon, I was asked to be a staffer rather quickly; I was extremely active around the boards. I'm trying to get back into that groove, since from time to time I feel I'm losing it a bit.

I look forward to meet more of the new faces around here, now that many of the ones I used to know are gone. I'm getting old . . .
Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 PM
KBR (Offline)

Thanks 656

Hey Lorraine, on that word count thing. I count my words left to right.

Finally!! A suggestion of mine that can really help someone! I knew this day would come.

One of the challenges of participating in something like the Beat is to find ways to help people out who are on the right track but need a fresh perspective to really hone their skill. Others need to consider the possibility that writing is quite possibly not their gift. Sometimes it's like listening to one of the early on Idol contestants thinking to yourself "Really?" It's embarrassing when one of the pieces is my own. I'm trying to weed those out ahead of time now.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:08 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...me, I'm just your average everyday sort to goblin I suppose, married with kids from way back now..." ventured the goblin trying not to think upon the dull cloud that enveloped geneva today, not that the goblin himself was ever his circumstances while he was writing, for instead he escaped himself onto forumland with himself at the wheel of his imagination and with the others as company, saying "...an anonymous livewriter at your service humans, guess I'm just words written on your screen in the time remaining...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-30-2013 at 04:02 AM..
Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Originally Posted by DunbarSI View Post
Hello all. I'm SI and I'm new(ish). I'm... well, here.

Stumbled upon this site after searching for some feedback on query letters. So far all I've done is critique, because your guys' work got me super sidetracked, hah.

Happy to have found such awesome writing company

Oh, and if you have any questions, you can Ask Me Anything for a quick video response.
Good vid. I'd fallen a lil bit in love with you until I saw that you hate facebook, but now you've blown your big chance i'm afraid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rincewind For This Useful Post:
DunbarSI (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 05:37 AM
DunbarSI (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 8

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Good vid. I'd fallen a lil bit in love with you until I saw that you hate facebook, but now you've blown your big chance i'm afraid.

My loss, I'm sure.

*me, right now*

*everyone else, right now*

Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Wind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 15

Wind here, Lucija in real life.
I've been writing for most of my life (which is now at proud 15 years) I still have some poetry and short stories which I wrote when I was a kid. I always liked writing and reading, which is mostly the influence of my mom who read me Harry Potter and Lord of the rings when I was little (no kidding I stayed with here the whole time). Unlike most people here, I haven't got a published book because every single time a good idea strikes me I start to see huge flaws in the plot and characters and other stuff and the I realize that the story is dead or some better story comes along so yeah, we'll se how that goes, no hurry right? I'm one of those writers who are largely devoted to their characters. If I could snap a picture of them I would probably put it in a wallet and go around showing them off; "See these are my babies aren’t they soooooooooo cute."

Well that enough stupidity for one thread.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:26 AM
CandraH

Dunbar is stunning and Wind has a nice quote in her signature.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Originally Posted by DunbarSI View Post
My loss, I'm sure.

*me, right now*

*everyone else, right now*
Dont give up hope. It just means you'll have to work harder to get in my good books. Be warned though, you have a lot of competition from the rest of our forum ladies, and one or two of the blokes too.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

I used to think I had ego issues, then I read the post above...
thewordsmith (05-15-2014)
Old 05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Verkisto (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I'm Isaac. I'm 16 and I live in Canada. I have a bunch of little siblings, and a pet tarantula. I've been writing for the last 6 or 7 years. I'm quiet and I prefer being on my own. I like books, poetry, movies, and being outdoors. I don't do too well in school because it doesn't interest me in the slightest. I procrastinate way too much. I've been told I'm likable, though I don't really stand out much. My confidence in my writing abilities fluctuates a lot. I haven't written anything in a while, which is why I've decided to visit this site a little more often... I need some sort of motivation or inspiration.

Last edited by Verkisto; 05-12-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I used to think I had ego issues, then I read the post above...
Don't despair, Mike. Any ego issues you have are, I'm quite sure, in your mind.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Originally Posted by Verkisto View Post
I'm Isaac. I'm 16 and I live in Canada. I have a bunch of little siblings, and a pet tarantula. I've been writing for the last 6 or 7 years. I'm quiet and I prefer being on my own. I like books, poetry, movies, and being outdoors. I don't do too well in school because it doesn't interest me in the slightest. I procrastinate way too much. I've been told I'm likable, though I don't really stand out much. My confidence in my writing abilities fluctuates a lot. I haven't written anything in a while, which is why I've decided to visit this site a little more often... I need some sort of motivation or inspiration.
GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND WRITE A BOOK!

There. Does that help?
The Following User Says Thank You to JustcallmeEd For This Useful Post:
Verkisto (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 03:20 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by JustcallmeEd View Post
Don't despair, Mike. Any ego issues you have are, I'm quite sure, in your mind.
I only despair when confronted by other people's ego issues. I have no issues with my own - it's entirely self-sufficient and extremely robust.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Verkisto View Post
I'm quiet and I prefer being on my own. I like books, poetry, movies, and being outdoors. I don't do too well in school because it doesn't interest me in the slightest. I procrastinate way too much. I've been told I'm likable, though I don't really stand out much. My confidence in my writing abilities fluctuates a lot.
Teenage writers, no need to post anything about yourselves; just quote the above, and write 'me too'.

Yes, all of you, you know it's true.
Verkisto (05-14-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

My real name is Brian, but many times it's been Brain. Not because of smarts mind you, some people just get the spelling wrong. I'll guarantee you it's the most misspelled five letter name ever!

I started my forum life going to painting and lawn care forums, hence the name Bagit--pronounced 'Bagg-it'. Nothing looks better than a nicely cut and Bagged lawn... Anywho, the name stuck with me when I needed to find friends and a home on a writing forum. Luckily, the Beat existed.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:30 AM
mandijames (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

One of those oldies too.

My name's in my username, my location's in my location and I'm mostly here to hang out and waste time.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:44 AM
KBR (Offline)

Thanks 656

Noble pursuits both!

Originally Posted by mandijames View Post
One of those oldies too.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:32 PM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 596

I was literally bored and wanted my poetry and short stories to be read by somebody.
Found this site, back in 2007, had a little attitude and rebelled, which was fun, until I found myself missing for a few months.
Returning every now and then with a poem.

Found my comfort in poetry which I am most active in.
I write about anything at any point in time.
And sometimes I go haywire with erotica.
Most people mistake me for male, well I'm not.
So stop flirting women
I'm female, quite young, into audit/ fraud as a career and I love erotica and Sufi poetry.

Enjoy fine arts, growing cacti and pets.
Tons of musical instruments, literature etc.
I'm from a cold place. Always cold.
So I'm a regular now.
Call me Nat. short for Natalie.
Got no kids, and I think I like being single also.
Kids are just...not for me sorry.
Nokturnal is after a band I love, so I get a little annoyed when people spell it with a c.
That's my nickname story.

Site has been great so far.
Lots to do here.
Great post KBR.

P.s I write a lot.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Pewdog (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 5

My name is Brett...I'm a newcomer, but I have "been around the block" (more than once). Pewdog was my call sign in the Army--I know...kind'a lame, but it's all I could come up with on short notice. I am very fortunate to have an incredible family: married to the same super-hot woman for 15 years, two boys, one small dog, house payment, etc.

I earned a business degree, after the Army, from Fresno State and worked in the business world for several years. Everything was good, so we decided to start a family. My first born son was diagnosed with Autism when he was four, and my life hasn't been the same since. I returned to school, earned several special education credentials and a master's degree, and eventually found a job that pays half of what I was making previously. It's the best thing I've ever done!

I have limited creative writing experience, but I'm a very creative person (I'm a pretty good artist and I've done a lot of custom airbrush art on motorcycles, cars, and boats). I figure if I can learn to paint, I can learn to write. How hard could it be?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:24 PM
tahdas

Who am I? How can i reply to this question when i don't know the answer? I am an enigma wrapped in the blatantly obvious.

I love bullsh*ting, and the best outlet for that is writing. So that's what i do! I like writing crime, sci-fi, and bizzarism.

I googled writing forums, and i came across the beat. I joined and i've been somewhat active ever since.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe