WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Classifieds

Classifieds Advertisements go here. Content of this forum does not represent the service provided at this web site.

Rebecca Walker: The Art of Writing, Selling, and Publishing Memoir

Old 07-07-2009, 08:38 AM
RebeccaWalker (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Rebecca Walker: The Art of Writing, Selling, and Publishing Memoir

Join bestselling author Rebecca Walker August 15-22 on Maui for a writing retreat to craft, market, and sell your work in a challenging publishing climate. The workshop includes writing sessions, one-to-one mentoring, and strategy sessions to bring your work to publication readiness.

Become one of a very special group Rebecca has helped to write and place their books as a result of attending her workshops in the Netherlands, Thailand, the South of France, Latin America and London. Learn from fellow writers in an inspiring environment of challenge, growth, and accomplishment.

Space is limited, so register early!

Rebecca Walker is a popular speaker, manuscript consultant, workshop facilitator, editor, and award-winning author. Time Magazine named her one of the fifty most influential leaders of her generation. As a public intellectual, she is known for presenting ideas about race, class, culture, gender, andthe evolution of the human family that courageously challenge ideological rigidity.

Rebecca's approach to charged subjects is incisive critique combined with heartfelt warmth. One of the original leaders of third wave feminism, Rebecca takes a non-partisan approach to identity politics. Whether exploring multiracial identity, enlightened masculinity, or the divisiveness of contemporary politics, she firmly believes that no matter how you look on the outside, lasting change begins with openness to the truths of others.

Audiences, workshop participants, corporate hosts, and readers from around the world comment on Rebecca's accessible, honest, and future-forward contributions to their understanding of identity, power, social change, and creativity. Authors compliment the powerful memoir-writing tools and techniques she shares, and the success they find after working with her.

Rebecca describes herself as a multiplatform catalyst for change.

Connect with Rebecca:

Email
Website
Twitter
Facebook
Linked In
YouTube

Last edited by RebeccaWalker; 07-07-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

That would be a big wow.

Sadly 1] Maui is way too far away (come to England!) and 2] I'll be in Cuba, but if you arrange such an event in the UK at any point, let me know.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Lin

I'm getting really tired of people claiming to be "Bestselling authors".

Pushed for explanation, they end up citing that their book sold the best of the four POD titles on some mini-press or some such.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

Rebecca is actually a widely known author whose books are held to be very good. She's definitely more than some mini-press person. Her site even shows videos of her appearances on The Today Show, Oprah, etc. Plus, I think that her mother is Alice Walker(?) who wrote The Color Purple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Lin

Her website paints her as a speaker and professional talk show guest... where is the best-selling book?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

It appears that Black White and Jewish: Autobiography of a Shifting Self was an international bestseller in 2002.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Lin

Well then, I guess this one is an exception to what one sees.

Funny thing, though... I see a lot of MENTIONS of it being an "international best seller", but don't see it on any lists. Including the list of NYT best-sellers for 2002

I also see her being referred to as a "leader of her generation", which strikes me as a bit of hyperbole. Anybody out there feel led by this woman?

I would say, if you can arrange to be both black and Jewish (and lesbian as a special bonus), and have famous parents you don't need to read any books on what it takes to get published and lionized. But I just don't see where people have been buying it enough for it to make best-seller lists. Perhaps my searching isn't that good.

Last edited by Lin; 07-11-2009 at 12:10 PM..
Old 07-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Well, I never heard of her book here in Britain, and if an American author can't be an international best-selling author here, where we speak vaguely the same language, I don't know where they can be. Sounds like a lot of hype to me. Quel surprise.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Lin

Well, she has sold some books, at least. Unlike so many "how to sell books" writers.

But I have a hard time thinking she could teach anybody to emulate her success. She had a gold platter practically from birth and managed to fill it.

I have no idea how she reads...perhaps she's a moving genius... but coming from the place she is (a modern liberal's equivalent of royal sainthood) the fact that she has books out and glowing comments doesn't mean much.

On the other hand, that's just supposition.

And if the "best seller" tag fits her, I apologize (assuming she comes back around to accept it) but I do get sick of people making that claim when it's patently untrue.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:26 PM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 85

Does 65 copies make me a worstselling author?

I was thinking of becoming a black Jewish lesbian to help boost sales. Anyone know the number of MJ's surgeon / Rabbi / sister?

|
|

Short+Sweet Theatre needs good writers to become
Old 07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Lin

I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body. That's gotta count for a few sales and seminars. Maybe a shot on Jerry Springer
Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM
kimba (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 7
Send a message via MSN to kimba

Originally Posted by PeteMalicki View Post
Does 65 copies make me a worstselling author?
No, I think a worstselling author is someone who hasn't sold any copies like ... um .... me.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Q Wands View Post
Well, I never heard of her book here in Britain...
She was interviewed in the Guardian last year, I think. She's known over here.

WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Classifieds