WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Donald J. Trump: A President Like No Other by Conrad Black

Old 09-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 182
Default Donald J. Trump: A President Like No Other by Conrad Black

Donald Trump was the 4th child of Fred and Mary Trump, born in New York City, June 14, 1946. He grew up in Queens. He graduated from New York Military Academy in 1964, and went to work for his father. He learned the building trades. Donald graduated from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania in 1968, and became president of the Trump Organization in 1972. He had 2 sons, Donald Jr. and Eric, by his first wife, Ivana. He built Trump Tower at Fifth Avenue and 56th Street and bought the Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida. Trump published his first book, "The Art of the Deal," in 1987. He took over the Miss Universe beauty pageant in 1996. Trump believed in the power of celebrity and debuted his TV show, "The Apprentice." "You're Fired!" became its tagline.

Trump had toyed with the idea of running for president long before it became a reality. The stage was set in 2016. Americans were disgusted with both parties, the endless wars and a national debt that ballooned to 20 trillion under Obama. Trump's ideas about immigration and trade appealed to middle America as did his opposition to unwinnable wars. Trump attacked the press as dishonest and coined the phrase "fake news." He held "Make America Great Again" rallies across the country. His energy was prodigious! He railed against rigged elections. He attacked everyone, and the American people ate it up, including myself. Trump cited the loss of jobs, illegal immigration, violent crime & the reluctance to call Islamic terrorism what it was as contributing to America's decline. He promised a wall along the southern border.

Before the debates, it was assumed that low-energy Jeb Bush would be the Republican nominee. Trump beat 16 candidates, however, to get the nomination. Trump is an engaging public speaker. He is entertaining. Even so, the pundits thought crooked Hillary Clinton would win the general election. The Democrat party and The Left freaked out when Trump beat crooked Hillary in the Electoral College 304 votes to 227. Trump and his vice president Mike Pence got more than 62 million votes.

President Trump has done exactly what he said he would. He withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership. He ended the government's assistance of abortion in foreign countries. He approved the Keystone and Dakota pipelines. He strengthened security along the southern border. He blocked federal grants to sanctuary cities. He went after voter fraud. He instituted a travel ban to keep terrorists from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya & Yemen from entering our country. He put conservative judge Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court and nominated Brett Kavanaugh. He imposed new sanctions on Iran. He rolled back regulations. He fired FBI director James Comey. He repealed global warming policies. He bombed an ISIS complex in Afghanistan. He met with North Korea's Kim Jong-Un and persuaded him to agree to the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula. He used social media (twitter) to speak directly to the American people. His America First policy was working!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:13 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

This is okay, but as a piece of writing it reads like a 7th grade essay.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (09-21-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 06:48 AM
Vince (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 42

Not sure what this is but it is clear that the facts are there. i believe that things are going well and that much of the silent tmajority has spoken and continues to speak. It is certainly an interesting time.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

I agree, this is a very dry factual piece... so what? Allow me to throw a Trump into the race- as a non-American, thank fuck for Trump- a leader who will not go down the identity politics rabbit hole. I can now relax! My point is, you kinda need to explore WHY he was voted for...
Old 09-28-2018, 08:35 AM
Vince (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 42

chinspinner,interesting thought - I think many voted for him because we were sick of the fake world
Old 09-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Originally Posted by Vince View Post
chinspinner,interesting thought - I think many voted for him because we were sick of the fake world
Yes, it was not necessarily a vote FOR Trump (who I personally find quite hideous); it was a (and I have said this before) vote AGAINST poorly constructed Democrat policies and a bad candidate (who I also find hideous).

No one likes to be lied to, and when your entire political construct relies upon telling you what you SHOULD believe and do, from a (questionable) moral perspective; you first question the morals and you secondly question the verisimilitude behind the statements. When both prove false you are left with a sense that your democracy is being undermined by religiosity, just not in the traditional sense.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:48 AM
Vince (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 42

I remember back in the sixties that one of the worst things you could do was make "value judgements' But i always wondered how do you live your life without making judgements based on your values. Your life is one of the only things that you will ever own or at least feel like you own. You should live it in the best way you can. Harming no one else where ever you can avoid it, learning and changing your views as you grow through experiance.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:58 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

I remember back in the sixties that one of the worst things you could do was make "value judgements' But i always wondered how do you live your life without making judgements based on your values. Your life is one of the only things that you will ever own or at least feel like you own. You should live it in the best way you can. Harming no one else where ever you can avoid it, learning and changing your views as you grow through experiance.
This is why voting is so difficult. I truly believe that most people have a sense of live and let live; as long as you are not harming the vulnerable, do whatever the fuck you want. Don't bother me with it, do not interrupt my day, just carry on.

Government exists for imposition. In the UK gays would have been perfectly fine were it not for government imposition in the past. Weed would have been fine were it not for... Blacks, women, transexuals, even straight white men, pick your minority, would have been fine were it not for government imposition.

I believe that people are starting to recognise that the systemic control should be stripped away. Government should PROTECT their citizens, not control their behaviour.

Last edited by Chinspinner; 10-13-2018 at 07:00 AM..
Old 10-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Vince (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 42

I think that self-control base on general civilzed values is esential to the continuation of the spieces. Evil is percived from within and targeted to those without. You can drive any vehicle you want, as long as everyone agrees which side of the road to drive on.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

I think that self-control base on general civilzed values is esential to the continuation of the spieces. Evil is percived from within and targeted to those without. You can drive any vehicle you want, as long as everyone agrees which side of the road to drive on.
Yeah, that is kinda the numb thoughts of Weinstein senior. It is so reductive so as to be nothing more than a soundbite. It is valueless.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Vince (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 42

ouch - sounds like anger but that's ok
Old 10-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

ouch - sounds like anger but that's ok
Sorry, was not intended that way, but I am slightly tired of people who talk in circles, yet pretend they have something important to say
Old 10-13-2018, 01:00 PM
Vince (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 42

Relax most people do just that. but it keeps them busy
Old 10-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Well fortunately I am British, and conversely, free debate still exists here, despite having a royally designated head of state and no freedom of speech provision.

It seems the founders missed a few paragraphs...
Old 10-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Vince (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 42

We still have free speech here in the US but we may need to have another revolution to keep it. Hate masqurading as careing is the prime danger that must be faced.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Yes, I believe that invocation of the second amendment may be required to protect the first. Good luck with that.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:01 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
Well fortunately I am British, and conversely, free debate still exists here, despite having a royally designated head of state and no freedom of speech provision.

It seems the founders missed a few paragraphs...

I think the problem is actually in the naming, the writing it down, rather than just leaving it a social contract between humans. Once it’s written down, becomes a law, then every fucker who wants can come parse it, challenge it, redefine it, until there’s nothing left of it.

It’s the same thing with the “second amendment protecting the first.” None of it means what it meant. All reduced to a few words on a legal document with no soul in it. A soundbite, a meme, something to put on a t-shirt and stretch over your fat gut.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I think the problem is actually in the naming, the writing it down, rather than just leaving it a social contract between humans. Once it’s written down, becomes a law, then every fucker who wants can come parse it, challenge it, redefine it, until there’s nothing left of it.

It’s the same thing with the “second amendment protecting the first.” None of it means what it meant. All reduced to a few words on a legal document with no soul in it. A soundbite, a meme, something to put on a t-shirt and stretch over your fat gut.
Yes, we have a face. There is a royal prerogative and it is meaningless apart from this... she has the power to dissolve government. That is incredibly important, if ever a government with a majority attempted to extend their term, we could rise up in the name of the queen.

You have the second amendment, you can use a pistol to shoot a F16. Good luck with that.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:14 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Yes, we have a face. There is a royal prerogative and it is meaningless apart from this... she has the power to dissolve government. That is incredibly important, if ever a government with a majority attempted to extend their term, we could rise up in the name of the queen.

You have the second amendment, you can use a pistol to shoot a F16. Good luck with that.

An F16 is old news. You can’t even see or hear the new ones coming.

Ask the Syrians

Or people in Yemen

Or the Pakistani’s

The Iraqi’s
Old 10-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

oh, whatever denomination, still applies.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:44 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

oh, whatever denomination, still applies.

Yes. I live in a very conservative community. I have lots of friends that think going down to the shooting range or out to the desert a couple times a week is practicing for when they’ll be called to overthrow a tyrannical government (ha ha). I have a friend with a working 50 cal. Machine gun, and a small tank. He has a ‘compound’ outside of town where he’s prepping for a showdown with the gubment. I tell him all the time: Carl, you won’t even see them coming. They can shoot you from halfway around the world.

I understand how fun it is to shoot guns, I really do, but there will be no defending against a tyrannical US government.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 230

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yes. I live in a very conservative community. I have lots of friends that think going down to the shooting range or out to the desert a couple times a week is practicing for when they’ll be called to overthrow a tyrannical government (ha ha). I have a friend with a working 50 cal. Machine gun, and a small tank. He has a ‘compound’ outside of town where he’s prepping for a showdown with the gubment. I tell him all the time: Carl, you won’t even see them coming. They can shoot you from halfway around the world.

I understand how fun it is to shoot guns, I really do, but there will be no defending against a tyrannical US government.
No, you will lose in seconds, but the point is, the moment you allow someone to redefine the terms within the constitution, you set a precedent that is limitless. You can never fight the government, but you concede on 2 and eventually you will concede on 1....
Old 10-13-2018, 03:53 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

No, you will lose in seconds, but the point is, the moment you allow someone to redefine the terms within the constitution, you set a precedent that is limitless. You can never fight the government, but you concede on 2 and eventually you will concede on 1....

Seems right

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction