WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Summer Contest -- Copy Comments

Old 04-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682
Default Summer Contest -- Copy Comments

If you have any comments on either Contest (Prose/Poetry) or any of the entries then please leave them here. Please encourage and help fellow writers by sharing your thoughts here.

Also a round of applause for last seasons winners PeteMalicki and Timon.

If you have entered the contest and see a comment here that makes you want to change your entry, please don't! Editing after you've posted will disqualify your work. The staff is happy to make minor spelling or spacing corrections for you, but significantly changing your piece after you submit it isn't fair to other people.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

Comment about Primary Colors:

That was not what I expected. And I'm not saying that in a bad way. While reading it I wondered how the narrator felt about his brother. It was easy to see what he thought about his mother, but I'm actually curious about what kind of relationship he had with his brother. Were they close or not. I don't think they were, but I'm curious.

I understand the whole color issue very well. Where I live the colors are Red and Blue. There are other little colors around but it's mainly Red or Blue. You're either one or the other, and if you're something else, you better hide.

I just didn't expect the narrator to choose. He plans to seek revenge but it won't be that easy. He needs to get in and out before he forms any kind of bond that will make him weak. Then he'll really be following his brother's footsteps. Face down on concrete with a bullet in his head.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

I have to say, ScribblerKing's alliterative noir-ish detective story was fun and unexpected. Copying pulp novels, copying letters and sounds, and copying bits of Marylyn Monroe's persona... definitely took the "copy" theme and ran with it!

"Her name was Mona Monroe, a beautiful byline for such a brooding broad" just captures the feel of old pulp fiction, but doing that in every sentence made it more amusing than dramatic.

I enjoyed!
ScribblerKing (05-28-2010)
Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 PM
ScribblerKing (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 59
Default Yes!

I am so glad you enjoyed that! It was totally meant to be as amusing and fun for the reader as it was for me to write. Let's call it my slight homage to Elmore Leonard or someone like that...it was a challege I set before myself and loved doing it.

I do love aliteration but at time I think I might have went overboard? Finally, I had to stop and just submit it...
Old 06-12-2010, 05:27 AM
AdamMMA (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 4

So far there are 7 entrants to the Summer Contest "Copy" (including my own).
In other contests I've entered I've never voted for my own submission and don't intend to break this rule this time. Having said that god knows where my vote is going considering the high quality of the submissions so far, I assume the rest of you are faced with a similar dilemma?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
ScribblerKing (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 59

I agree that is a great rule to have and I shall consider your fine example!

In truth I am not sure who I would vote for in this case either....

Last edited by ScribblerKing; 06-17-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Old 06-16-2010, 10:39 AM
LiminalLady (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

This was very intriguing, though short, it tells a lot without having to explain the detail of the characters' entire life. It is one mentor to another student, student succeeds teacher and thus the circle continues. A very classic tale, but i love the many different scenarios you can color with such a story. I am curious though as to why you chose the Grecian names, why those specific people from mythology?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
AdamMMA (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 4

I would have to say there was no underlying reason for the specific names other than anonymity given the line of work they were in. I suppose, however, this could change should I ever wish to expand on the story...
Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Jukka (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Send a message via MSN to Jukka

Excuse me, but are people really allowed to vote for themselves in this contest?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 721

'Course they can. If a presidential candidate can vote for him/herself, why not a writer in a writing contest?? It's a public poll, though, so everyone can see if they did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM
AdamMMA (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 4

It would seem there's a tie for first place in the prose section.
Given that voting has closed I assume it's okay to congratulate Midweststamp and Scribblerking?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

It is indeed, I was just about to make a announcement, I guess this will be it.

Congratulation Midweststamp, Scribblerking and Gary_Wagner for coming first in Prose and Poetry respectively.

for all

Thank you to all who entered, it was nice seeing so many entries, and they were a lovely read.

Last edited by Tau; 06-28-2010 at 02:16 PM..
Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 AM
gary_wagner

Thanks, Tau. I wish there was a way to expose these contests to more people and encourage some more participation and voting. I miss the old format of having a team of judges review the work.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Well this time we had few entries, and fewer voters, but the Smiles contest I believe had over somewhere around 30 entries between the two, and another 12 or so for the Word Vault, so just some low turn out this time.

You do have a point though, greater awareness would be good.

The thing with the panel of judges and specific feedback is that it takes a lot of time and means there is less time for the contest to be open. In addition the production of WBQ takes a lot more time now then it used to do, and a lot of staff attention goes there. Also one of the reasons for the current format is that the old form of contest were dying over several months, with few entries, one or two, or even none.

I guess I could reintroduce Guest judges, who would give feedback on all the entries in the comment thread while still having it a open vote. Or rather not judges but dedicated volunteer commentators. Something to think about.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 AM
ScribblerKing (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 59

I for one appreciate all the hard work that is put into this forum, the contests and WBQ...I know from experience it is not easy and it is way cool to be recognized for something that you love to do by your peers!

Thanks one and all!!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM
AdamMMA (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Tau View Post
I guess I could reintroduce Guest judges, who would give feedback on all the entries in the comment thread while still having it a open vote. Or rather not judges but dedicated volunteer commentators. Something to think about.
Yeah I think if that there was one thing missing from a good competition it was the comments which were a lot scarcer than they have been in the past.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests