WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey

Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM
donnaf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 219
Default The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey

Have any of you seen it yet? I saw it last Saturday and am going back on Sunday to see it again. Lots of little details I missed out because we had the kids with us and they kept pestering me.

There was a scene where Smaug is taking Erebor and they show the dwarves fleeing--I am pretty sure I saw some females in the group but can't find anything on the net from the movie that shows them. Did anyone else notice the chick dwarves and if they had beards or not?

Old 12-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Redlorry

Sadly, due to a horrible cough, my plans to see The Hobbit this afternoon had to be cancelled. Did not think the cinema would appreciate my sickly hacking and germ fest.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM
donnaf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 219

I'm sorry! Hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Redlorry

Thank you.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 199

I don't remember seeing any female dwarves close up, but I'm fairly sure I saw them fleeing.
I've a feeling the whole beards thing is just a little joke Gimli cooked up.

On a more serious note, this was probably the best film I've seen in years.
A lot of purists are whining over minor details, like the way the thirteen fall into the orc-infested valley part of the misty mountains, but really, some little things need to be ignored, they can't include every detail, or they might as well have Ian McKellen read the story aloud throughout the film.
No, overall, the film stuck well to the story, apart from the much larger role played by Azog the desecrator, but he was so well acted, and such a great character, that even me and my little nerd-brain couldn't whine.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:32 AM
donnaf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 219

I loved it too. I know "the critics" are panning it for the most part but I guess when it gets over $84,000,000 on its opening weekend (at least here in the US) what the critics think doesn't really matter much.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:26 AM
Burlesk (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 17

Originally Posted by Front&Centre View Post
I don't remember seeing any female dwarves close up, but I'm fairly sure I saw them fleeing.
That speech in the movie is taken direct from Tolkien's historical material contained in the appendices to LOTR. Dwarf women are said to be few in number, and indistinguishable (to non-dwarves) from the men, leading to the rumour that there are no dwarf women.

Admittedly, Tolkien doesn't mention the beards, but it's an obvious inference.

Edited to add: On topic, I saw The Hobbit in 3D last night, and enjoyed it a lot. I didn't find it as compelling as the LOTR movies, but I think that's due to the limitations of the source material rather than any fault in the movie. The book is really a series of escapades tied together by a fairly thin plotline, and the film reflects that. In a way, the movie has more substance than the book, because the big-picture stuff about Sauron and the fate of Middle Earth has been woven in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Recent posts:
|
|

Last edited by Burlesk; 12-22-2012 at 02:30 AM..
Old 12-22-2012, 03:48 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

I saw it last night, and I am not yet convinced. Why are the orcs and goblins different? Why has the White Council moved into the plot and why do I have to wait another two years to see all of it?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:56 AM
Marshin (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 34

I saw it at the midnight premiere. It was awesome.

Anyways, yeah I saw a dwarf lady (I know cause she was wearing a dress) and it kind of looked liked she had a small beard. It was pretty hard to tell since the shot was so quick.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 633

Originally Posted by Tau
Why are the orcs and goblins different?
What do you mean by that?

What I am about to say might contain spoilers.

I saw it too, and am a bit torn. I liked it a lot, and loved the same things about it as I loved about the LotR movies: deeper into cultures of the different races, foreign tongues . . . And the dwarves' deep-voiced song gave me chills. Gollum in the riddle game was also amazing.

I was a little disappointed by the Disney-like elements that appeared every now and again. Clearing plates by throwing them around while singing a song, for instance. It just didn't feel like Peter Jackson. I understand that the Hobbit is aimed at a younger audience than LotR was, but I think the contrast between those child-like moments and the harsher images (the way Azog's artificial arm is attached to his body for instance) was quite large, in a way that felt, like I said before, un-Peter Jackson-like. I absolutely love the playful, more naive and light moments in the Shire that also existed in LotR, like Merry and Pippin stealing fireworks, or Bilbo running around the house worrying about his pantry being plundered. But the plate-throwing was just a step too far, if you ask me.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 AM
FireHill (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 210

Originally Posted by Front&Centre View Post

On a more serious note, this was probably the best film I've seen in years.
A lot of purists are whining over minor details, like the way the thirteen fall into the orc-infested valley part of the misty mountains, but really, some little things need to be ignored, they can't include every detail, or they might as well have Ian McKellen read the story aloud throughout the film.
No, overall, the film stuck well to the story, apart from the much larger role played by Azog the desecrator, but he was so well acted, and such a great character, that even me and my little nerd-brain couldn't whine.
I agree fully, this was a brilliant movie. Had some of the humor and lightness of the book too, like the orc king when he was killed, and it was plenty epic for my tastes. And freaking beautiful to look at, the landscapes, the architecture. Loved the "white council" stuff too, with Sauraman, as well as the bits with Radagast the Brown.

The changes didn't bother me at all, nothing like what Jackson did to Faramir in LOTR, which seriously pissed me off. Can't wait for the next installment, will have to get by with seeing this episode a few more times to get through the year

I saw no God, nor heard any, in a finite organical perception; but my senses discover'd the infinite in every thing ... I cared not for consequences but wrote." ~William Blake

Old 12-22-2012, 06:57 AM
FireHill (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 210

Originally Posted by Tau View Post
Why has the White Council moved into the plot ?
because they're trying to make a trilogy out of a pretty short and straightforward book written for a young audience. I rather disagree with making a trilogy, I can see 2 movies but not 3, not really necessary, but I love all the Tolkien books so I'm not really complaining.

I saw no God, nor heard any, in a finite organical perception; but my senses discover'd the infinite in every thing ... I cared not for consequences but wrote." ~William Blake

Old 12-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Burlesk (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 17

Why are the orcs and goblins different?
There's some dispute about this among Tolkien buffs. The words orc and goblin are used pretty nearly synonymously in LOTR, but some people believe they are different kinds – that goblins are a breed of smaller orc. That theory isnt very consistent with the way the film portrays the goblin king.

I suppose the uncertainty is sufficient to entitle Peter Jackson to portray them as different if he chooses.

Why has the White Council moved into the plot
Because they are there in Tolkien's history of Middle Earth. While the Quest of Erebor is going on, Gandalf and the council are debating what to do about Sauron (the Necromancer). This is Tolkien's post-hoc explanation for Gandalf's frequent absences from the dwarf party.

According to an essay published in the Unfinished Tales, Sauron sets up home in Dol Guldur because he has divined that the Ring was lost in the river Anduin, and is searching for it. Saruman is secretly doing the same, hoping to find the Ring before Sauron does.

Recent posts:
|
|
Old 12-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Burlesk (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 17

Originally Posted by FireHill View Post
because they're trying to make a trilogy out of a pretty short and straightforward book written for a young audience. I rather disagree with making a trilogy, I can see 2 movies but not 3, not really necessary,
With reference to the bolded part, that's not strictly true. Although the trilogy is officially called 'The Hobbit', it's really based on The Hobbit plus a largish collection of Tolkien's other writings on Middle Earth, mainly the Unfinished Tales and the LOTR appendices.

Recent posts:
|
|
Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM
FireHill (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 210

Originally Posted by Burlesk View Post
With reference to the bolded part, that's not strictly true. Although the trilogy is officially called 'The Hobbit', it's really based on The Hobbit plus a largish collection of Tolkien's other writings on Middle Earth, mainly the Unfinished Tales and the LOTR appendices.
Splitting hairs. The main story is about the Hobbit, and they're filling it in to make it another epic trilogy, which is all the rage these days, especially for Jackson who is used to doing TV miniseries, not mere 2 hour movies. I'm not complaining, mind you, except that they're stretching it over 3 years, when they should be releasing one every 6 months or so.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

I can understand the ones in the Misty mountains looking different, but whay are the ones in Moria so different from what we saw in the LotR?

As for the White council, why not make that its own film, so that the hobit would be two film that are focused, and the Council its own that goes on at the same time.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM
FireHill (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 210

There are different breeds of orc, that's all.

As for the White Council, it'd be hard to make a whole movie out of it, as it was just a brief event, not a big war. Sauron fled from Dol Guldur with little fight, feigning easy defeat and secretly going home to Mordor to rebuild Barad dur.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Burlesk (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 17

Originally Posted by FireHill View Post
Splitting hairs. The main story is about the Hobbit, and they're filling it in to make it another epic trilogy, which is all the rage these days, especially for Jackson who is used to doing TV miniseries, not mere 2 hour movies. I'm not complaining, mind you, except that they're stretching it over 3 years, when they should be releasing one every 6 months or so.
Well, you're entitled to your cynical interpretation. I'd say the reasons for doing it as a trilogy, with material not included in the original Hobbit novel, are a) that it will fit better with the LOTR storyline, to which it is a prequel; and b) the resulting storyline will be closer to Tolkien's historical vision. Tolkien actually rather regretted the published version of The Hobbit, but could do little about it: his unpublished writings were his attempt to flesh out the story and make it fit with LOTR and his broader vision.

Every 6 months? I suspect you're not familiar with the lead-times for movies and the associated marketing. Anyway, one a year worked for LOTR.

Finally, when has Peter Jackson ever been 'used to doing TV miniseries'? I think you must have mixed him up with someone else.

Recent posts:
|
|
Old 12-23-2012, 02:04 AM
Burlesk (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 17

As for the White council, why not make that its own film, so that the hobit would be two film that are focused, and the Council its own that goes on at the same time.
Because they are all part of the same story.

In Tolkien's mind, the main purpose of the plot of The Hobbit was that it brought the Ring to Bilbo. (That wasn't his intention when he wrote the novel, but it became so after he'd written LOTR.) Meanwhile, the White Council's dealings over the Necromancer (Sauron) are connected with the Ring.

At this point in the story, Saruman is already scheming to acquire the Ring. He knows it was lost in the Anduin, and has reason to believe that it has since been recovered. He is hoping that the Ring will reveal itself by tryng to get back to Sauron, who is nearby in Dol Guldur. For this reason, Saruman resists the White Council's proposal to drive Sauron out of Dol Guldur.

Meanwhile, Gandalf senses unconsciously that the Ring will be recovered, and this is what guides him to pick Bilbo for the Quest of Erebor. (Remember the line in LOTR, when Gandalf's tells Frodo that Bilbo was 'meant to find the Ring'.)

I don't know how much of that will make it into the remaining movies, but that is what was in Tolkien's mind: he wrote it all down.

Recent posts:
|
|
Old 12-23-2012, 05:59 AM
FireHill (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 210

Originally Posted by Burlesk View Post
Every 6 months? I suspect you're not familiar with the lead-times for movies and the associated marketing. Anyway, one a year worked for LOTR.

Finally, when has Peter Jackson ever been 'used to doing TV miniseries'? I think you must have mixed him up with someone else.
Every 6 months because I'm greedy for more. I think the world should bow to that.

As for the miniseries, I read that somewhere in a review. Could be wrong, I never looked into it.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 AM
CandraH

I was a big fan of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Read them both umpteen times back in the day, and all the other stuff around them like the Silmarillion, Lost Tales, The Lost Road etc.

I loved the LOTR films but I'm not sure I like the look of The Hobbit. It doesn't look like it's for children, which the original book was aimed at - more for a mix of children and adults, trying to catch a bigger audience by hopefully hooking the LOTR fans and others who might not bother with it otherwise.

I also don't like the idea that they have to stretch a story thats a fraction of the length of LOTR over three films like they did with that. It's just unecessary overkill and will no doubt make The Hobbit drag interminably. There arent enough dwarves or dragons in the world that will hook me for that long, sorry. And bringing in elements that werent in the original story, like the side plot about Gandalf going off and getting involved in the White Council debates and going after Sauron in Dol Guldur, just to stretch it out even longer wont wash with me. The Hobbit was a tight, lovely little children's story. It doesn't need to be weighed down with extraneous Middle Earth stuff. If they're that interested in the other stuff, make other films about it, but leave The Hobbit alone.

I probably wont bother going to the cinema to see this one and will likely just check out the first film when it comes out on DVD. Sorry, Mr Jackson, but if you want to turn this story into a cash cow for milking, you've just turned me off.

Oops, ranted a little there. Heh.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 AM
Burlesk (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 17

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
I also don't like the idea that they have to stretch a story thats a fraction of the length of LOTR over three films like they did with that. It's just unecessary overkill and will no doubt make The Hobbit drag interminably. There arent enough dwarves or dragons in the world that will hook me for that long, sorry. And bringing in elements that werent in the original story, like the side plot about Gandalf going off and getting involved in the White Council debates and going after Sauron in Dol Guldur, just to stretch it out even longer wont wash with me. The Hobbit was a tight, lovely little children's story. It doesn't need to be weighed down with extraneous Middle Earth stuff. If they're that interested in the other stuff, make other films about it, but leave The Hobbit alone..
Since you used to be a big fan of the entire Tolkien canon back in the day, you'll recall that Tolkien changed his mind about The Hobbit. He wasn't happy about the frivolity of it. To rationalise its existence, he decided that the version he had published was Bilbo's simplified version, designed for telling among simple Shire folk, for the purpose of amusement. Meanwhile, Tolkien developed a parallel version (which exists only as notes and fragments) of "what really happened". It is that version, more or less, which is the basis for the films.

Some of the elements of "what really happened" (according to Tolkien) are:
  • Gandalf's absences from the dwarf quest were due to his involvement with the White Council.
  • The confrontation between the White Council and Sauron had arisen due to the search for the Ring.
  • Saruman had begun plotting to acquire the Ring for himself.
  • It was no coincidence that Bilbo happened to find the Ring at this time.
  • It was a matter of destiny that Gandalf specifically chose Bilbo for the quest of Erebor, a destiny that was tied up with the Ring.
  • The desolation of Smaug and the heightened activity of goblins in the mountains were connected with the increasing strength and influence of Sauron.
  • The Quest of Erebor was encouraged by Gandalf as a means of countering Sauron's influence.

So, this isn't a case of Peter Jackson manipulating or stretching the original novel; it's a case of weaving it together with LOTR as part of the same ongoing history of the Ring, Sauron and the fate of Middle Earth. Which is how Tolkien viewed it.

Recent posts:
|
|
Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 AM
CandraH

???

Uh sure, if you say so.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 199

How can we complain that it doesn't stick perfectly to the book?
There had to be some changes, because the way stuff happens in a book is not necessarily visual enough for the big screen.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Lin

Candra, one thing I'd say is, if you are going to see a Jackson film, you probably should do so on the biggest screen you can find. This is not a guy who works with 26 inch venues in mind, he sprawls out across your retina to kick your butt.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
donnaf (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Burlesk (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 17

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
???

Uh sure, if you say so.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be obscure or seem like I was dictating my own viewpoint. My post wasn't my interpretation of The Hobbit; just a sketch of how Tolkien himself viewed it – mainly how he saw it fitting in with the rest of the Middle Earth histories.

The issues surrounding the book (and by extension the films) have come about because when Professor T wrote The Hobbit, he had no conception of The Lord of the Rings. It was intended as an imaginative but reasonably simple adventure tale for children.

For reasons which he later came to regret, he decided to set his hobbit story in Middle Earth, in the mythological setting which he had spent the previous twenty-odd years developing (in the writings which later became The Silmarillion).

Then came The Lord of the Rings, and everything changed.

Prof T revised The Hobbit to fit. The riddle game scene had to be changed significantly, but there was a limit to what he could do with the style, substance or import of the rest of the published story. So, he embarked on the various essays and truncated narratives which are the missing glue that binds The Hobbit to The Lord of the Rings, and which Peter Jackson is mining in order to construct his trilogy.

Sorry again – I've gone off and been all obscure and dictatorial again. Oh well, that's Middle Earth for you.

Recent posts:
|
|

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe