WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

What Ya' Cooking!

Old 09-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490
Default What Ya' Cooking!

Tell us any mouth watering recipies that your doing tonight.

I'm doing Bacon wrapped chicken chish-kabobs marinated in yoshida sauce and cooked on the charcoal grill. Yummmy.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

This is one of my very favorite things to cook. It's SO easy! We serve it with cheese and sour cream on top, and we use Frito Scoops instead of a spoon.

YUM!!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-co...up/detail.aspx

Cancer mom blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Writer blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Redlorry

I cooked a roast chicken dinner for my family with home made Yorkshire puddings, which my children love.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Ink (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 154

Nachos. Simply delicious.

- Check out my blog on the (very slow) progress of my novel.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.

I'm making pesto pasta tonight; it's one of my favorite dishes.

if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Originally Posted by Ink View Post
Nachos. Simply delicious.

Oh, I think I will be following suit!

I love to bake them on a huge cookie sheet with all sorts of gooey stuff on them, and then a make a dip out of sour cream and salsa.

YUM!!!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Yesterday morning I cooked a batch of pancakes on the electric griddle for the family. I used Hungry Jack complete buttermilk (just add water style). I like to thin the batter down more than what it calls for. Nothing like light textured melt-in-your-mouth pancakes

*Breakfast has been added to the menu*
Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

My kids love "breakfast for dinner" -- that usually means pancakes. Easy and fast when you haven't planned anything.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:02 PM
CandraH

Mmmmm, pancakes. Never use ready made mixes though. Thats cheating. Make them from scratch every time, roll fried banana up in them and smother in homemade caramel sauce.

I have a sweet tooth.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

I prefer french toast to pancakes. I love it, and eat it a couple of times a week. My favorite thing is to put peanut butter on it with the maple syrup.

YUM!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Antonym (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 16

My favourite cheat's "looks kind of difficult but is really easy" dish.

It's a filled large mushroom with three cheeses, covered with a thin layer of bacon, baked for half an hour on top of tagliatelle in a white sauce, served on a bed of lettuce.

It's piss easy and looks very chef-y. =D
Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
StoryWeaver (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 6

Peanut butter on french toast? You'd be a queen in our house, peanut butter is a staple over here. Oh, and cake. Can't live without cake.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

You should try it. I have never in my life enjoyed peanut butter more than when I mix it with maple syrup. It is SO good!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Ink (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 154

Well, today's dinner should be good. I've got a bit of free time on my hands and thought I'd treat everyone to a White Chocolate Cheesecake.

The idea behind this thing is disgusting, but I love it- guilty pleasure: It's got something like 300-400 calories a slice.

Anyway, from what I can remember from last time (need to check the recipe book):

Philadelphia+cream cheese+ melted white choc+ butter+sugar?

Then mash some biscuits into crumbs, mix with butter to make a base.

Blend some raspberries for a puree topping.

Leave the whole thing to set in the fridge for a couple of hours.

I'm gonna get fat tonight!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Gwyndolin View Post
I prefer french toast to pancakes. I love it, and eat it a couple of times a week. My favorite thing is to put peanut butter on it with the maple syrup.

YUM!
I never thought of putting peanut butter on french toast. I'll have to try that. And yeah, pancakes for me is a special once or twice a year treat on birthdays or at New Year, simply because the kind I make are so rich. If I ate them regularly I wouldn't fit through my front door.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
I never thought of putting peanut butter on french toast.
Peanut butter on waffles is good too -- as long as it's not the completely flavorless organic goop my wife buys.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

And yeah, pancakes for me is a special once or twice a year treat on birthdays or at New Year, simply because the kind I make are so rich. If I ate them regularly I wouldn't fit through my front door.

Lol, yeah, your pancakes sounded that rich. But I bet they are SO good!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Peanut butter on waffles is good too -- as long as it's not the completely flavorless organic goop my wife buys.
I've had bad experiences with shop bought and restaurant waffles so tend to avoid them in my own eating regime. If you've got a good recipe though, I'd consider giving them a go, and yep, also had bad experiences with organic peanut butter. My sister buys it and it tastes weird. I'm all for Sunpat.

You a crunchy or a smooth kind of guy?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Gwyndolin View Post
Lol, yeah, your pancakes sounded that rich. But I bet they are SO good!
Oops, you got this in before I clicked post. I hope Winterstorm doesn't do her tidying thing till after you've had a chance to read.

They are rich, and oh so good, mmmmhmmm. Indeedy. I figure what's the point in making them if they're going to be pale and healthy shadows of themselves, you know?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:55 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I've had bad experiences with shop bought and restaurant waffles so tend to avoid them in my own eating regime. If you've got a good recipe though, I'd consider giving them a go.
No recipe -- we eat these organic whole grain waffles -- they're not too bad, really, but I wouldn't recommend them. Everything we eat has to be free of preservatives, processed flower etc.

You a crunchy or a smooth kind of guy?
I like crunchy -- but we buy smooth. I'm outnumbered 3 to 1 on it. It's OK, I'm used to it.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

Dishsticks.

I mean, fishsticks! Lol! Lunch. Quick and easy.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
No recipe -- we eat these organic whole grain waffles -- they're not too bad, really, but I wouldn't recommend them. Everything we eat has to be free of preservatives, processed flower etc.
Ah, cool. Though I hear you on trying to eat healthy, it can be a bit restrictive at times. I try to go for healthy or organic and natural non-processed foods when I can but sometimes things need a bit of sugar and salt and modification, ya know?

I like crunchy -- but we buy smooth. I'm outnumbered 3 to 1 on it. It's OK, I'm used to it.
Haha. You poor beleagured bastard. You should buy crunchy and hide it in a cupboard in your office. Only bring it out when no one else is around. That way you keep your ladies and yourself happy all at the same time.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Redlorry

Well for my dinner tonight I have 'cooked' slices of Wensleydale cheese with cranberries on salted crackers.... but now I also want French toast and pancakes.

This thread is bad for my waistline!!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Ink (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 154

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
Well for my dinner tonight I have 'cooked' slices of Wensleydale cheese

Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Redlorry

Lol, I am called Wallace by some of my friends for my cheese addicion. And that would be cool if the character didn't make me want to smash the TV so much!!

I am a Gromit fan.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Morechoiriel (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 29
Send a message via AIM to Morechoiriel

Jalapeno hummus, Spinach & tomato linguine, and cheesy garlic bread. Easy and delicious.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:32 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

My wife and kids are out of town. They're not big meat-eaters, so I went out and bought a huge thick steak and grilled it up, medium rare. They all hate mushrooms (brainwashed by mom), so I sauteed a big pile of those too. Now I'm going to watch "Reservoir Dogs." Aahh -- sweet freedom.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 10-01-2011 at 03:35 PM..
Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 AM
CandraH

No way. I watched Reservoir Dogs recently after not having seen it in years. It's still a very cool film and as good now as when I first saw it. Good choice, mister.

Not so sure about the steak though...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:15 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Heh. The steak was awesome. Enjoyed Reservoir Dogs too. I watched it because my wife has a pretty low tolerance for violence.

Tonight -- it's sushi. Another thing the better half won't eat. Got to make hay while the sun shines.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 AM
CandraH

Wow, you have odd tastes. Never tried sushi but I figure if I was starving on the seashore I'd get to try it regularly.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe