WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

What Ya' Cooking!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Originally Posted by Gwyndolin View Post
Bagit, that sounds delicious! Our dinner ended up being granola cereal and oreos with milk.

It's one of those hot dips that doesn't stay around long at a cookout.

Tonight it's back to the charcoal grill (with Icehouse beer in hand)to barbecue a dozen chicken thighs. The wife(Amy) will probably nuke some Knorr flavored noodles to go with it.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Tonight I'm at work, so my hubby will probably buy pizza, lol.

Cancer mom blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Writer blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Tonight is probably roast chicken, cauliflower cheese, brocolli and roast potatoes.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

This morning I'm cooking bacon, sausage links, eggs, buttermilk biscuits with country gravy, and my daughter is bringing home some doughnuts. I love Sunday morning breakfasts!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Redlorry

For Gwyn:

My Yorkshires:
4 eggs
200ml milk
150g plain flour

Whisk into a liquid batter.

Place a metal bun tray in the oven and a little oil into each individual mold. Let the oil get as hot as you can... If cooking a roast I normal put the tray in the bottom of the over when I start cooking the meat.

25 minues before you dish up spoon equal amounts of batter into the molds and plce in the top of the oven. About gas mark 6. Make sure the shelf isn't too high as they will rise.

Alternatley get a wide shallow stonewear or pyrex and heat up the oil as hot as possible and pour all batter in. Cook for 25 minutes. Gas mark 6

Traditionally Yorkshire pudding is served with roast beef. However my children refer the to roast potatoes with any roast, any meal for that matter.

But the versatile thing with yorkshire pudding is that it can be served sweet as well with honey, jam (jelly if you are American) and my friend likes dipping them in golden syrup.

Anyway, enjoy.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:42 PM
auburnivory (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Today was homemade falafel burgers with salad and hummus in wholemeal pittas, with sweet potato wedges on the side. And a lot of ketchup. Very very satisfying. Shame we didn't have the dessert from last night though - frozen cookie dough balls dipped in a hot chocolate fondue. Soooo good!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Thanks, Lorry! I can't wait to figure out how to convert that and try it. =)

Gas Mark 6 ... is that the temperature you're using?

And what should the consistency be when it's done?

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

4 eggs
1/3 pint milk
5oz of flour

Gas Mark 6 is about 425 F

My recipe uses cups and comes from the Castle Howard/Malton area of Yorkshire.

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 large egg
2 tsps of vinegar or orange/lemon juice for sweet ones
pinch of salt or sugar for sweet ones

Cooking is the same as Red's. (sometimes I cook them in the fat off the meat if I am doing a roast or vegatable oil when I am just doing yorkshires). I also like making a large flatish one and that cooks for about 25 minutes.

Consistency is similar to pancake batter.

Last edited by AnyaKimlun; 10-10-2011 at 07:00 AM..
Old 10-10-2011, 06:55 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

My wife and I are tired of cooking for everyone. From now on, it's every man for himself. If the kids want "hot" or "cooked" food, there's a perfectly good microwave oven for them to use. Enough of this mollycoddling.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
My wife and I are tired of cooking for everyone. From now on, it's every man for himself. If the kids want "hot" or "cooked" food, there's a perfectly good microwave oven for them to use. Enough of this mollycoddling.
Trouble is if I did that my boys at 4 and 2 would give it a go lol A few times I have caught them trying to cook eggs.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:14 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Well, my girls are 6 and 8 -- plenty old enough to fend for themselves. Also, no more eating before chores and homework are complete -- and no complaining. These kids don't know what hungry is.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 AM
CandraH

Haha. Now thats what I call training for life!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

I sure know when I was 6, I cooked like a pro. And made such healthy choices!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Well, if my kids could cook like pros, I'd hire them out.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Here's the deal for tonight at Bagit's house. Fried chicken legs and mashed potatoes. Bread them suckers in your favorite chicken breader w/plenty of garlic powder added. I fry them in a stand alone electric fryer. Finger licken good...

Last edited by Bagit; 10-10-2011 at 02:26 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

You must know by now I love to cook over tasty charcoal.

Tonight it's thin sliced porkchops and a few chicken thighs. I rubbed in some Lawrey's chicken & pork spice on 'em, then basted them with Carolina Treet barbeque cooking sauce.

The chicken will get a final Sweet Baby Ray's sauce on them. Dig in!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Sounds delicious, Bagit!

I made one of my kids' favorites last night, and it's SO easy!

These days, you can buy alfredo sauce in a jar, just like spaghetti sauce. It's bland, though, so you have to season the heck out of it. So, I took 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them into around 1 inch cubes. Then I fried them, just like if I was browning ground beef. I added freshly minced garlic to the pan while I pan fried the chicken.

I boiled fettuccine noodles (although usually I use spaghetti noodles because I have so many of them in my pantry... and I decided last night, I actually like the spaghetti noodles better).

Then when the chicken is cooked through, I add the Alfredo sauce and season it to taste.

Served with rolls and butter, and a green salad with ranch dressing. YUM!

And it only took me about 20 minutes to prepare. That's the best part. And even my 3 year old will eat it, which is amazing! He only eats like 2 other things.

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Think I'm doing macaroni cheese and cauliflower. If I can be bothered might make some garlic bread.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Making Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup tonight. I think I posted the link here in the beginnings of this thread. It is SO good!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Now chicken taco soup sounds good - off to look it up. I make Nacho soup which is yummy.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

It's whole chickens tonight, rotisserie style. Yeah, the wife bought them at Sam's Club, but she is nuking some flavored pasta in the microwave, so it qualifies as something cooked.

Later she'll make some yummy chicken salad out of the breast meat. A little mayo, salt & pepper and celery go a long way to making it a prized sandwich spread. Make sure you add a piece of sliced cheese, and lettuce between your bread. Enjoy!

Last edited by Bagit; 10-17-2011 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-17-2011, 05:41 PM
CandraH

You guys are all eating way better than me. I've been stuck on mashed potato and omelette for the last three days (long story). I'm getting a taste for chicken.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Nadja

I've been cooking too much recently. I'm easing off tonight and serving up thawed pizza.

Last edited by Nadja; 10-18-2011 at 09:24 AM..
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Lamb and Beef stew - with either crusty bread or mash. Followed by icecream lol
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Last night I made one of our favorites. We call it Hobo Dinner.

You take your favorite meat, I use either chicken (cut when raw into cubes, and then fried like ground beef) or bratwurst (cut into small pieces and then fried like ground beef) or ground beef (lol)

Once the meat is cooked, add a small amount of olive oil to the pan, and then add the following vegetables, all cut into bite sized pieces:

Potatoes
Carrots
Celery
Onions

And I also threw in a drained can of corn, and a drained can of green beans.

Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are soft.

You have to season it really well, but it's SO yummy!!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 AM
CandraH

That sounds nice, Gwyndolin, but all I can think about is ice cream. I blame Anya.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Haha, ice cream is yummier. I think we had ice cream for dessert that day, too. =)

This week, I've been working all nights, so my husband ordered pizza last night. I sure wish we could order pizza once in a while when it's MY night to cook!

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 10-19-2011, 07:03 AM
CandraH

Funny how that happens. Maybe you just need to put your foot down and order the pizza before anyone gets a chance to say otherwise.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Lol, I agree! Only I'd rather order chinese or something. =)

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 10-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 633

I attempted to make spring rolls a couple of days ago. The filling was great, but the outside became hard as rock after putting the rolls in the oven... That had happened before when I'd tried it with filo, but I bought special spring roll thingies this time round, but it had the same effect.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe