WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Just Watched

Old 12-21-2012, 07:00 AM
CandraH

Default Just Watched

Thought I'd start a thread on stuff we've watched but without all the specifics. Just post the last TV show or movie you watched and what you thought about it.

No lists please. I want gory details, and lists are boring so humour me.

Here's mine to get things started.

I just watched Safe House. It's a thrill ride from start to finish. Fair enough, it's not very thought provoking or plausible, but I really enjoyed it. The chase and fight scenes are brilliant - my feet were twitching during the car chase - so there's plenty of action, and Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington in the same film... My mouth was watering. Definitely going to recommend this one for a couple of hours of mindless entertainment.

Not going to comment on Prometheus because I already bitched about that in another thread, but if someone else brings it up, I'll happily go on about it some more.

Okay, someone else go.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Webgoji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 67

I just watched Lego Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out. It was actually pretty funny even for adults. Look up Darth Maul's awesome song on the Interwebs, it was hilarious. Darth Vader was funny and had jokes I had seen in some adult comedies. Fun show actually.

Check out my Blog at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

We just watched Bernie -- a "black comedy" based on a true story about an assistant funeral director who befriends one of his clients -- an old lady whose husband dies. He ends up with power of attorney and takes over her finances. Easy to figure out what happens -- even if you don't know the story. It all takes place in an small Texas town and is built around interviews of the townsfolk -- like The Office. As absurd as the interview bits are in The Office, there is a feeling of authenticity to them that's missing in this movie. They seem contrived and somewhat poorly acted.

Jack Black is the funeral director, and although he's fine, it's hard to get past his usual goofy persona -- although some of that works, there's no edge to the character. Matthew Mcconaughey is the district attorney -- he overplays it. More evidence that he's not really that good. Shirley McClain is the old lady and she's fine playing a character who by all accounts was a really unpleasant women.

It's mediocre -- fine to watch if you aren't expecting much. I saw a documentary on the true story -- I think they blew a good opportunity -- mainly by not making it dark enough and trying too hard to make Black's character sympathetic.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:50 AM
CandraH

I had to google Bernie, not having heard of it. It started ringing a vague bell, like I've maybe seen a review of it or something but thats about it. Sounds like it might have been better if they'd let the Cohen brothers loose on it ala Fargo. But yeah, I hear you about Matthew McConaughey. He looks good and does a fine job in some films but he seems to be turning into a one trick pony. I'll check it out if it pops up on normal TV here.

Webgoji, you made me laugh with your Lego Star Wars. I'm not a fan of Star Wars but the way you talked about it put me in mind of how much I enjoyed things like Cars and Wall E and Ice Age. Just because they're for children doesn't mean old fart adults like me cant have fun with them too.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 AM
TheSummerSon (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

Just watched Jam its about Jam
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

You're right -- the Cohen's could have nailed it.

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
But yeah, I hear you about Matthew McConaughey. He looks good and does a fine job in some films but he seems to be turning into a one trick pony.
He was fine in The Lincoln Lawyer and few other things -- and the material in this was a little weak. People tell me my voice is like his -- not sure if that's a compliment or not.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
He was fine in The Lincoln Lawyer and few other things -- and the material in this was a little weak.
Oh yeah, I forgot about The lincoln Lawyer. I liked that one a lot. I also thought he did a good job in Reign of fire. It's about dragons so you probably wont have seen it but he's brilliant a a slightly psychotic American soldier.

People tell me my voice is like his -- not sure if that's a compliment or not.
Haha, really? Well, I'd take it as a compliment because I like the way he talks.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Redlorry

I can't watch anything at this time of the day except video games of Spongebob. I'll come back to this later when I have something interesting to share.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 AM
CandraH

Cool. Don't be a stranger.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 AM
CandraH

Take Shelter. A really well told and acted story about a guy who starts having visions about an apocalypse. It works so well because you're never told, until the very end, if he's really seeing the truth or if he's going mad so you're right there with him, wondering the whole time.

Also Immortals. I remembered you saying you liked it, Lorry, so I decided to check it out. It was pretty cool visually but that was about it, sorry. Not nearly as good as 300, or even Clash of the Titans which at least had a brilliant pegasus clippety clopping over the rocks.

Looking forward to Tarantino's Django Unchained. It looks pretty good and I'm hoping it'll be better than the stuff he's been producing recently. Didn't think much of Inglourious Basterds.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Redlorry

I agree. I found Immortals a little too uncomfortable to watch, although I loved the visuals. I much prefer 300 and Clash of the Titan, Troy (until Hector dies), Kingdom of Heaven, Robin Hood, Gladiator and even King Arthur. I'm sure you see the pattern here.

As a family we've just watched 100 Greatest Toys. It was great because we all saw things we recognised. It was funny to see the children frown at all the toys hubby and I used to have as kids. With all the technology they have today I think they actually felt sorry for us. But I still look back at everything I had with fond memories.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Haven't watched any films recently, with the exception of The Dark Knight Rises, but I have been watching Justified. A rather good show.

You can catch the entire first season of it via Virgin's on demand service. TV XL, then US Boxsets.

Did of course watch the 3rd series of An Idiot Abroad too. Wasn't as good as the other two series though.

I also own Safe House, CandraH. Watched it a few months back and was alright. Currently just waiting on Arrow and Person of Interest to come back on.

Oh and Matt damon does a fine Matthew Maconaughey impression: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4iVkmYBigc (I'm not going to bother saying I've seen Lincoln Lawyer and Reign of Fire. )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by DavidGil; 12-23-2012 at 09:53 AM..
Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by DavidGil View Post
Oh and Matt damon does a fine Matthew Maconaughey impression.
Ha ha. Yeah -- I've heard this. Pretty funny.

We just watched the American version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Not bad, but I liked the Swedish version a lot more, the two leads especially. The Swedish guy who played Michael was more sympathetic and seemed like a more believable every-man. And the girl wasn't nearly as badass as in the Swedish version. Also no lesbian sex scenes -- you've got to take a lot of points off the American version just for that.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

I've seen the Swedish versions of those films. Own them on DVD actually. But I haven't watched the American version. A family member has though. Said it was a bit hard to choose between the two as to which was better. I'll probably watch it sometime, as I can view it anytime anyway.

Figures about the lesbian bit though.

and

Last edited by DavidGil; 12-23-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Old 12-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Redlorry

Did of course watch the 3rd series of An Idiot Abroad too. Wasn't as good as the other two series though.
I preferred it because Karl didn't get away with being so monumentally ignorant. Having Warwick Davies with him made it watchable for me. I can't stand cringeworthy TV and that's what Series 1 and 2 were for me. Just a shame it was only three episodes long.

Is he really that ignorant, or is it all an act. Because if it's real... scary!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
I preferred it because Karl didn't get away with being so monumentally ignorant. Having Warwick Davies with him made it watchable for me. I can't stand cringeworthy TV and that's what Series 1 and 2 were for me. Just a shame it was only three episodes long.

Is he really that ignorant, or is it all an act. Because if it's real... scary!
If I was a betting guy, I'd say it's not an act. He's a fellow manc. He'd be a good character to write about.

I did enjoy Warwick being on the show though. Only problem was I didn't find it that funny. The first episode though? Couldn't stop laughing throughout that one.

and

Old 12-24-2012, 04:58 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
I agree. I found Immortals a little too uncomfortable to watch, although I loved the visuals. I much prefer 300 and Clash of the Titan, Troy (until Hector dies), Kingdom of Heaven, Robin Hood, Gladiator and even King Arthur. I'm sure you see the pattern here.
Oh yeah, a lot of those are on my list of good watches too. Especially Gladiator and King Arthur. I had to watch Kingdom of Heaven a few times before I managed to sit through the whole thing. It seemed to change depending on the mood I was in. Troy was okay but for some reason it didn't hold my attention the way some of the others did. Shame that because Brad Pitt actually did a really good job of making me believe him as Achilles, surprisingly.

Haven't watched any films recently, with the exception of The Dark Knight Rises, but I have been watching Justified. A rather good show.

I also own Safe House, CandraH. Watched it a few months back and was alright. Currently just waiting on Arrow and Person of Interest to come back on.
Justified is one of my favourite shows. Not sure what happened to it though. I've only seen maybe three seasons and then it kind of disappeared. I hope they' havent killed it like they do with so many good ones.

And yeah, I'm waiting on Person of Interest to come back on too. Got pretty hooked on that one because there's actually a bit of intelligence in how the various stories and characters play out.

Oh and Matt damon does a fine Matthew Maconaughey impression: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4iVkmYBigc
Haha, excellent. Thats real cool.

I also saw both versions of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and cant decide which I prefer. I liked the Swedish guy and thought the Swedish girl was definitely a lot cooler so I'm probably with Joe on that. But in some ways I thought the English version flowed better as a story. Not sure if thats because I didn't have to follow subtitles as well as watching the action though.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:18 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Candra, I forgot to mention, I saw Take Shelter. I liked it for the most part. I wasn't that convinced by the lead actor, for some reason. Otherwise, I really appreciated the attempt to do something different. What made it work for me was the sympathy I felt for the guy and how frustrating it was to watch his life go off the rails. Really intense and well worth watching.

Re The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo -- I'm pretty sure the Swedish movie version was edited down from a TV mini series -- that may be why it didn't flow as well. On Netflix, there's an "extended" version -- I think it's the whole series. It would be interesting to see -- although I can't imagine taking the time to re-watch it.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 AM
CandraH

Thats interesting about Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I never thought of it being from a TV series. But it does make sense if it was because they had to try to distill eveything from the series into a single film.

And yeah, I get what you mean about the guy from Take Shelter. I remember him from Revolutionary Road where he played the crazy son, and I kept expecting him to do something nuts but he played it totally straight so that might have had an effect on how his character in Take Shelter came across.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I just think he over-acted a bit -- like he was trying too hard. But otherwise he was fine -- it didn't really detract from the movie all that much.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:52 AM
DavidGil (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 190

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post

Justified is one of my favourite shows. Not sure what happened to it though. I've only seen maybe three seasons and then it kind of disappeared. I hope they' havent killed it like they do with so many good ones.

And yeah, I'm waiting on Person of Interest to come back on too. Got pretty hooked on that one because there's actually a bit of intelligence in how the various stories and characters play out.
Indeed, Person of Interest is quite good in that regard, plus I find the action sequences entertaining.

Also, there is a season 4 of Justified airing soon. Won't hit here for a while though, I imagine. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2253817.html

I watched the entirety of the first season via Virgin's on demand service. Then bought the 2nd season on DVD. On the fourth episode. Guess I'll have to wait for the 3rd season to release on DVD.

and

Old 12-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Jats (Offline)

Thanks 1,142

"...well there isn't a decent latest release I haven't watched lately, as downloads now are so easy if you know how, and I had to laugh when recently my lad was showing me sites that he had found now, evolution in progress perhaps, where on one I see The Hobbit is available already, remarkable..." Jats peruses through his latest video downlaod files then seeing what he has been watching other than the last series of Dexter which was delicious as ever "...oh Red try 'Snow White and the Huntsman' for a family film, which was beter than I expected and the boys sat through it, also you must have tried the old favourite here 'The Fifth Element' which is always dipped into by the boys now too should it be stumbled upon when channel hopping. As for the rest I have watched recently they have all pretty been much of a muchness other than 'Alan Partridge: Welcome to the places of my life' which was up to standard..." chips in Jats then, off now to find series 3 of that round headed baboon abroad then, even though he can be found all over forumland of course

alright

Last edited by Jats; 12-24-2012 at 07:09 AM..
Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Are you letting your lads steal content online -- or did they just show you the dowbload sites?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:05 AM
SeeTheMonkey (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 169

The last film I watched was 'Tinkerbell and the secret of the wings.' If you've young children that are interested in that sort of thing then I can highly recommend it. It was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Feels a bit unfair to be critical of this sort of film but the third act felt forced and really wasn't needed, plus I wasn't too happy with one of the moral messages that came at the end, but other than that it was the 'awesomest' according to my daughter.

Tv wise I'm thoroughly enjoying 'Arrow' and 'The Young Doctors Notebook.' Both a lot better than I thought they had any right to be, one being based on a comic and the other starring Daniel Radcliffe.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Jats (Offline)

Thanks 1,142

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Are you letting your lads steal content online -- or did they just show you the dowbload sites?
...I'm actively encouraging them, part of my home uneducation, yes I have met a lot of teachers in my time, fucked a couple too, so come at me bro if you wish, though I thought you didn't read me posts. Still, take what you will...meanwhile, a repost from several years ago...

"...all my Christmas shopping done now, apart from the food, although I have bought my Ham, a beauty, which will be boiled in coca cola, the only time my lot get it, so a rare boxing day American treat, still one present to get though, a pc for the kids, to keep them away from my laptop, and I am on eBay now, waiting to bid an an old slow system that's not good enough for windows now with it's inbuilt obsolescence and so is going cheap, just $50, and I will simply slip in my Linux Mint disc and hey presto it will be faster than machines twice as big, add on a an old game pad and joystick and they can take a break from the xbox then, at the same time discovering Linux, and realising, subliminally, that windows stinks..." as Jats realises as a consequence that in the future when they have IT classes they will be telling their teacher with arrogant disdain that Windows is a pile of shite, and laughs at the moment, and others, in advance now

childsplay

Last edited by Jats; 12-24-2012 at 08:43 AM..
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

You probably haven’t noticed that my comments are usually based on the first line or two – and I never bother with your reposts, then.

I’m not going to “come at you.” I’ve heard every lame justification in the book for stealing content -- so whatever you have to tell yourself to feel good about it.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 AM
FireHill (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 210

I don't watch TV, but I went and saw Lincoln last night. It was really good. I love the old-timey way they talk, especially Lincoln himself, and it's an interesting window into how the 13th amendment got passed (though likely there was some Hollywood stretching of the truth, as always). Mostly serious, but also a good deal of humor, and very well acted.

I saw no God, nor heard any, in a finite organical perception; but my senses discover'd the infinite in every thing ... I cared not for consequences but wrote." ~William Blake

Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I'm looking forward to seeing that. I've heard mostly good things about it.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Jats (Offline)

Thanks 1,142

"...oh no I notice all your pretence Joe, yes we are what we post, and you'll get no argument from me, no flaming or raging, only reposts, for those that see behind the masks now, and you'll get no argument that I am a thief too neither, why no I have never denied that..." laughs the chameleon busting his sides knowing that Joe can't reeply to this, stolen away, contained in a post and even if he tried would negate everything he keeps saying that he dosen't read the posts, MWOAHAHAHAHA cries the goblin from a distance "...and I'd snigger should one of my lads happen to steal away one of your lasses from under that condescending nose of yours someday in the future where you will retort that will never happen of course, but it could, all you have to do is use your imagination, yes I am your boogeyman now Joe..." chuckles the chameleon

focker
Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

A repost, then...(sort of.)

Jats, this isn't really that hard to figure out. If the first line or two of your post catches my eye, I might respond to it. Are you with me so far?

If I respond based on that -- and an exchange follows -- I might read more. I have never claimed that I don't read ALL your posts -- with the exception of your "reposts." As much as you'd like to believe it -- you're not somehow outwitting me. More delusional nonsense on your part.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe