WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

What a realistic amount to write a day?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:28 AM
tahdas

Default What a realistic amount to write a day?

My new years resolution is to write a certain amount each day. What's a realistic amount to write? Whats a good word amount or amount of time?

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 703

Well, Tahdas that just depends on how fast you can type and how much flows out off your head and into your fingers/keyboard.

I have days when 3K is easily reached, in less than 4 hours. But I also have days when 300 words take 4 hours.

You really are forcing the issue if you set an amount to reach and I fear it might work against you rather than help you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to luckyme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

I'm with luckyme, there. Takes me several hours to get a handful of narrative (a paragraph or three) to work "just so." A page or two is a good, achievable goal to start with, especially with rough drafts; moderate, workable.

Twisty mind candy:

The Following User Says Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 AM
tahdas

I need to write at least once a day which I havnt been doing. Ive tried to write every day before but it hasn't worked. I think if I have an amount of words to write a day I might actually succeed.

I understand what your saying but I think 600 words a day that need editing is better than than 2000 perfect words once in a while.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Set yourself an amount of time rather than words. Like the others mine varies. I can write anything from 10 words to 35,000 words with my usual being 3,000.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM
MiriThompson (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 47

I tried for a 2k per day goal--but it didn't work for me. I failed too often, and then began the shame spiral.

My new goal, word count wise, is an easy 500 words per day. But they need to be solid, productive words--words that will survive the majority of my edits!

: Drew is tired of the compliant pretty boys who have been subbing for him. Michael, that excruciatingly responsible and judgmental accountant, might just provide a real challenge . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to MiriThompson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 PM
TheSummerSon (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89

I don't know you Tahdas but I might be inclined to suggest you are far too easily distracted away from writing productively.

The easiest and best way is to set aside X number of minutes or Hours per day. You will by simple nature and as testimonied here by others, have peaks and valleys where you will scribble for the entire period of time. There will be other days when you will do nought but scratch your bum. So it goes.
If you really want to go by numbers of words then how about averaging 2 sides of A4 paper. Take a few random sheets of A4 that you have filled wit writing, count up the word total and average it out. Then use that as your yardstick....but time is better.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 AM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

Setting goals is important if you ever want to finish anything. However, goals must be realistic. Some days are diamonds, others dust.

If writing is what you do, then do it everyday. More or less.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 199

It can be tricky when you force yourself to write; personally my work gets boring, and I find myself stuck too often. Make sure you're in the mood for it.
When you're not trying to get your work published, a moderate workflow is a good idea. You want to keep the number of overall hours quite high, if you're not working, at school or whatever, but if you've got unavoidable stuff like that, just a hour a day is fine, the important thing is to write something every day, to keep a foothold. Even a post on a forum is a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Front&Centre; 01-03-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM
IrvineGray (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3

Three pages in a college-wide spiral notebook of whatever my thoughts happen to be at the time is usually a good place to start. For me, anyway. Get those three pages outta the way, which just about anyone can do in an hour or an hour 'n a half at the most, and then start work on whatever you have in mind.

You'll have gotten whatever worries or hopes or bothers or anxieties you have about life or the piece outta the way, and your mind will feel much more refreshed and ready to engage whatever you want to work on.

As everyone else has said though, writing everyday is very important in order to keep those writing muscles strong 'n flexible. Shouldn't really matter how much one does, just as long as you hold yourself to get a little bit in there every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to IrvineGray For This Useful Post:
Front&Centre (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 199

I couldn't write three pages of my thoughts, I'd feel pretentious, and it would all be a load of bollocks anyway.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
IrvineGray (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 3

Who said it isn't just that? Trust me. I shudder every time I reread my journals. The stuff in there makes Holden Caufield look normal. But that's why it's in a journal, for your eyes only.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

I would suggest you set yourself a Time goal rather than a word goal, say One hour each day. That way you can schedule the hour into your day, and insure that there are no distractions during that hour. Then it does not matter if you having a slow day and manage only a paragraph or a fast day when you get several pages.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM
tahdas

I've set my goal to at least 400 words a day. It's an easy goal and hopefully I'll get carried way and write more than 400.
You can read what I wrote today here: http://www.writersbeat.com/showthrea...168#post558168

Thanks for your sugestions guys!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Andy Mitchell (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 119

I try and write over 500 words per a day if I can. But sometimes it isn't possibly when you feel you need to relax.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe