WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Hey, you! Hey! Hey!!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694
Default Hey, you! Hey! Hey!!

I'm curious. Regarding spreading the word about one's indie-published book . . . does anyone else feel like everyone's talking "at" everyone else, and not really "to" anyone else? Are we all self-absorbed in promoting our own work, that nothing anyone else says, regardless of how good it might be, ever crosses the threshold of another's mind?

I was just wondering. Sometimes it feels like I'm simply shouting out in a loud, crowded room filled with people who are all trying to do the same thing, but we're all crisscrossing wires with each other and never really hearing.

Am I the only one who feels/thinks this way?

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I have to say the self published books I have bought have been as a result of meeting and talking with authors - not from a random link. Then if I like them I will do the promotion. Moriah Jovan and Mike Devlin I bought because I liked them and discovered their writing and stories were amazing.

I do love author face to face presentations and often buy a book as a result of that.

I've always been lucky with my writing in that the promotion tended to take care of itself - my blog got a small but steadily increasing number of people based on its content. My email list for short stories appeared because of people asking to read more.

The promotion I find works best is when the author talks excitedly about the story and characters - hooking me in before I read it.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

when the author talks excitedly about the story and characters - hooking me in before I read it.
Ooo, that's a really good idea. And, in fact, I know an indie author who does that. But I'd bought her book (both volumes) before I'd realized she did do that. Her characters are awesome, and so in depth. Can't wait for the sequel, to be honest.

Ah, yes. That's right, she's the indie author whose interview will be next in my blog post #6, on January 5th.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Ooo, that's a really good idea. And, in fact, I know an indie author who does that. But I'd bought her book (both volumes) before I'd realized she did do that. Her characters are awesome, and so in depth. Can't wait for the sequel, to be honest.

Ah, yes. That's right, she's the indie author whose interview will be next in my blog post #6, on January 5th.
For me when the writer obviously adores their characters and story it stands a good chance of being a good read.

Self published is a selling point for me as it is often the place to find innovative works that traditional publishing companies have been shying away from.

What is your public speaking like ?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

What is your public speaking like ?
Pfft! Hahahahahahahahaha! Can't speak a decent sentence in front of a group if someone held a clown at my throat.

I suck. Public speaking? Pfft. Ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, yeah, I can hear it now (from many, actually): But you have to learn how.

I will. Eventually. Currently, my public speaking ability really, really sucks.

But I love my characters, and will talk a blue streak about them . . . so long as I can write it all down.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I don't know what they are like but the UK version (British Speakers Association) is really good.

Toastmasters International

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe