WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Western Culture, and specifically "American" Culture

Old 12-18-2017, 02:10 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...sorry everyone, some sort of edit bug made a string of double posts here..." went the goblin trying to make amends, adding "...so I would just like to take this opportunity to post some old reposts that I feel to be on topic still...")

repost from elsewhere

in fact, the goblin was beginning to appreciate american english more and more, yes like with real american words like "whatever" now, saying "...let's try now, whatever and ever amen, oh yes and how about "god bless americever" too, whatever then..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-19-2017 at 04:00 AM..
Old 12-18-2017, 02:18 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

repost from elsewhere

certainly, the goblin thanked the poster for pointing out the plight of the american economy of late, but either way, the goblin's mind, or whatever little remained of it that is, was musing on the idea that somehow those federal financial institutions could solve much of that accusation, that the market is out of touch, or insensitive, or even irrelevant to mr joe average, whatever, if they were to better entice the average american here to participate in the stock exchange more, by for example, creating some special issue treasury bonds that convert upon their maturity straight into foodstamps, "...yes, these so called foodstamp bonds could be traded freely on the open market, so that the one in ten americans receiving foodstamps at the moment would be able to keep track of their investment in the US economy so to speak..." ventured the goblin, somehow aware that without some sort of intervention soon, his much needed supply of american peanut butter could well be in serious jeopardy, perish the thought

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-18-2017 at 12:25 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 02:43 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

repost from elsewhere, goblin's easter address

"...other americans, wackos, fruit and nuts, and nut and blots..." and yet the goblin was not quite sure if that really was in fact what the pope was saying in latin while making the sign of the cross each time he visited america, surely it would just be easier to look at the map of north america instead rather than trying to remember his barrings that way, but perhaps the goblin was missing something, anyway he wished everyone a happy easter though

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-18-2017 at 12:33 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 02:47 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

repost from "welcome new members" thread, elsewhere

and with that the goblin welcomed the new member saying "...actually, it's all hush hush yet I feel I can trust you here, where this forum is, in fact, just a front for the "homeland security service" and their operatives in their ongoing undercover work to root out the threat of cyber terrorism on the internet...", the goblin paused knowing that it was all too hard to comprehend in one go, but he continued "...simply think about it, which site would you least expect a cyber counter attack to originate from, that is between some ultra smart nerdy eastern block country, the taliban's website, or the nigerian spamming site, well any of those types of sites on the one hand, and well, just somewhere like this forum here then, where the members can, and do, manage to hit the post button from time to time, so that's right then so now you know all, the members here are really ultra sharp "homeland security" operatives only pretending to be wretched writertypes and pauperpoets, and yes very snide of them I know but in fact they're probably the best america has..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-18-2017 at 01:11 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 02:53 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

repost from elsewhere, the "I have been hitting my ketchup bottle for 1 hour now and cant get any on my ice cream" thread

What am I doing wrong?
"...nothing wrong at all, my dear friend..." went the goblin welcoming him back from the brink of sanity, continuing "...but then again, clearly as of yet, you haven't contacted those homeland security people to report your suspicious activity there, in that although pouring ketchup upon ice cream is not a misdemeanor in itself, it's hardly normal neither, and thus by being abnormal in the absence of normalcy, it becomes highly suspicious of you doesn't it, perhaps containing some hidden subliminal message for some as of yet unknown terrorist activities elsewhere...", just that the goblin was building up the the idea that the poster, in his wish to aid the homeland security people that is, could offer his icecream to judge napolitano at this point thus keeping america safe from the subversion from this apparent type of suspicious activity, whereupon the goblin went "...now hands up all those in agreement with me..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-18-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 02:56 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

repost from elsewhere, an american "last post" thread

the goblin let others win here in their own way, and what they posted was, in fact, what they won of themselves, concluded the goblin, saying "...I suppose sites too, are there to make members feel good about themselves, something I'm all for then...", so the goblin then humbly thanked america for its people, its democracy, its liberty, and its dashing president, etc., but actually the goblin liked america far more for its peanut butter, putting his hand on his chest and boldly saying "...god bless america and all its chunky peanut butter..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-18-2017 at 01:05 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 02:58 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

Originally Posted by brianpatrick
Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...can't see what any of this has to do with american culture though..." started the goblin wondering what if any of the things american as in american culture today would last into the future and still be seen as american by it, adding "...trouble is that the norm often loses its identity over time, for example the common table folk comes from the moors, the wristwatch is swiss, the potato is south american, croissants are austrian, and so on and so forth, all building to the idea that familiarity breeds anonymity, novelty breeds identity...", in fact, the only reason why the goblin had written this was his need to escape in the knowledge that outside the relentless rain would have been better as snow and that work loomed still, sighing "...he who sleeps in a field wakes up in a field, as that chinese saying goes, but I argue that the dream is still worth it if the limitations of one's reality are all so evident..." while outside his post the goblin's reality was once more ignored with full intent till at last it could be ignored no longer)
None of it has to do with American culture or western civilization , including the OP. Címon Flea; keep up.
(the goblin was somewhat reminded that the secret of being a troll was the same one as being a politician, adding "...btw it's the text in bold brianpatrick, hope this answers your question though, if it was a question now and not an oversight on your part...", by now the snow was so heaver that is stopped one from seeing the other end to the street even, the goblin stuck in his reality still would happily swap his reality for reading something from anyone about american culture as long as it didn't mention snow nor pertain to most things american then, adding "...I'm easy, shall we talk about dingdongs or twinkies now...")
Old 12-19-2017, 02:42 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Of course, it's a cliche on both ends -- but all the people who pine for the good old days are always white males -- like this Roy Moore character, with his horse and his six-shooter. Because that’s what they are in their fantasies -- and they have freedom, land, self-determination etc.

In their minds, they’re knights or generals or gentlemen farmers or plucky pioneers or cowboys. They’re never slaves or serfs or women or indentured servants -- all of whom were kept in line by the fear of God -- and they didn’t know any better anyway, so no one rocked the boat. They even decided who could have sex and when. It was probably terrible sex – but you can’t have everything.

Last edited by Myers; 12-19-2017 at 03:37 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-19-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 02:16 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

How long does it take Mo to write a post? I mean, itís been days...

Maybe heís super busy, but Iím super busy, and I have time for fifteen minutes of keyboard punching here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-20-2017, 02:42 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

I donít see why anyone has to think much to say what they mean. 🤔

Old 12-21-2017, 03:11 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...naah it's far easier, if not too easy even, to say "what one thinks" rather than what one really means by it..." smiled the goblin thinking it was a matter of depth there, relating "...yet either way who actually says what they think today, which journalist can speak freely about the demise of the west, so the world of adults is one of lies, and only out of the mouths of children the truth as they say..", where america was ever what one wanted to hear at this point, sighing "...if someone says fire in a crowded building then they'll take you to court for causing a stampede, whereas if everyone gets burnt to death then they'll be asking why no one shouted out fire now, same goes for the break up of the west now, simply the journalists can't cause a stampede for the exit, that's all...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-22-2017 at 08:37 PM..
Old 12-22-2017, 08:32 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...naah it's far easier, if not too easy even, to say "what one thinks" rather than what one really means by it..." smiled the goblin thinking it was a matter of depth there, relating "...yet either way who actually says what they think today, which journalist can speak freely about the demise of the west, so the world of adults is one of lies, and only out of the mouths of children the truth as they say..", where america was ever what one wanted to hear at this point, sighing "...if someone says fire in a crowded building then they'll take you to court for causing a stampede, whereas if everyone gets burnt to death then they'll be asking why no one shouted out fire now, same goes for the west now, the journalists can't cause a stampede for the exit, that's all...")

There are magnitudes of difference between our understandings of the world.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 09:20 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
There are magnitudes of difference between our understandings of the world.
("...no, there's really no need to be so modest, but I suspect you know far more than you're writing..." replied the goblin sat at his desk a bit before work, but at least the snow of the mountains around geneva hadn't descended down into the city itself, not yet anyway then the goblin looked back at Brian, continuing "...for if one knows that america's government, or shall we call it "the west" here, has lied, and is lying still, while knowing too that mainstream journalists can't report the truth of it, for that truth would cause an escalation leading to a stampede, then what one knows without being privy to the details is that bankruptcy and war are playing out again, as empires invariably pile up debts before turning to war to dig themselves out, where empires are in effect asset bubbles supported by their military, thus the "one world order" can come into being perhaps but it too will pass in its turn for the same weakness of structure...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-23-2017 at 12:55 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
kev (12-29-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by bluewpc View Post
@brian It's a tactic simultaneously the mark of a coward who lacks the courage to espouse his ideals. But it is apparent enough what he believes.
r.
What have I not espoused?

Even though I am hugely flawed, I believe in Christ as my savior. I am willing to put this out on an internet forum where this is largely scorned.

I believe in things as I was brought up to believe them. Not from some rote repetition, but from observation.

It would be easy enough to ignore this, or to edit this out. I could cast aspersions back, based on what you've posted, but I'll let that pass.

I will note that it is really easy to make accusations on the internet. I know you would not make these in person.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:08 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 48

No Id damn sure make this accusation in public in front of a crowd and to your face. There is nothing I say here that I wont say in person. So you can kiss my ass on that account.

And you dont believe for a second youre flawed. There is no humility in you. For god's sake you cant even write a post without being passive aggressive. At least when Im aggressive you know it.

It would be easy enough to ignore this, or to edit this out. I could cast aspersions back, based on what you've posted, but I'll let that pass.

Except that you did not ignore this because you brought it up, you did not let it pass because you brought it up. And so here you are acting the innocent as though the accusation is completely baseless and that youre some saint for doing so. But you couldnt not say it. Ignoring it means ignoring it. Not calling attention to it and to your pride by saying look here I am ignoring this.

Youre a Christian? What does it say about this hypocrisy?

Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad
countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

You might actually believe you believe christ is your savior but you know what you cant say that. Because you dont even try to follow the tenets. Where is your humility? Wheres turning the other cheek? Wheres charity? Wheres understanding and unconditional love? Wheres self-sacrifice? All I see from you is an unearned sense of moral superiority on par with the damn postmodernists.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

brainpatrick: How would you ďrewindĒ to the time before the sexual revolution? I mean: how would you actually do it?
This deserves an answer:

The start begins at home - instilling values in my children.
Further and more difficult is living in the manner I proscribe for others.

Barring a pendulum swing or a reset this will occur in pockets, and will be a slow process.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:20 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231
Default Western Culture, and specifically "American" Culture

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
This deserves an answer:

Barring a pendulum swing or a reset this will occur in pockets, and will be a slow process.

With respect to evolutionary biology, We probably agree. Men and women ARE different, and any attempt at equity of outcome is foolish. In fact, any social or communal attempt at equity of outcome is also foolish. Itís just not in the science.

There are actually institutionally oppressive systems that were put in place and need to be addressed or rectified. How that happens, I donít know. Iím equally opposed to both political propositions on the Matter.

There are intellectuals whoíve parsed these waters, but Iím not astute enough to have seen them come to any conclusion yet I can agree to. So... I listen.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Of course, it's a cliche on both ends -- but all the people who pine for the good old days are always white males -- like this Roy Moore character, with his horse and his six-shooter. Because thatís what they are in their fantasies -- and they have freedom, land, self-determination etc.

In their minds, theyíre knights or generals or gentlemen farmers or plucky pioneers or cowboys. Theyíre never slaves or serfs or women or indentured servants -- all of whom were kept in line by the fear of God -- and they didnít know any better anyway, so no one rocked the boat. They even decided who could have sex and when. It was probably terrible sex Ė but you canít have everything.
I have known people of many races to pine for "the good old days". Part of it is indeed escapism. And in many cases there are large kernels of truth.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:59 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Blue chose to address number 7.
7. What the US culture looks like? Monoculture? Multiculture? LackaCulture?
I will agree with his main point that the US had distinct cultures.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:06 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
This deserves an answer:

By instilling values you mean modeling the desired behaviors? With my kids thatís the only thing that works. So, the ďliving in the manner you proscribeĒ seems essential to your proposed start. And yeah, that will always be flawed.

I just donít think we can put the genie back in the bottle. We canít control culture. It does what it does. Everybody shapes it. Everybody. There will never be a US monoculture unless we impose one by force, and look at the countries thatíve done that.

In fact, the world is opening up. Itís like: once people see whatís possible somewhere else, they want it too.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:36 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 41

The beginning of this thread alluded to two migrations to America:

"East Anglia to Massachusetts
The Exodus of the English Puritans (Pilgrims and Puritans influenced the Northeastern United States' corporate and educational culture)[3]
The South of England to Virginia
The Cavaliers and Indentured Servants (Gentry influenced the Southern United States' plantation culture)[4]"

However, I did not see any discussion of the significance and implications of these two different migratons.

The two different migrations came from two polar political sensibilities in England, and, in my view, were the progenitor of contemporary liberalism and contemporary conservatism in America. (In this post, I am defining liberalism as the mainstream press defines it, not as how philosphers define it.)

The first migration, which consisted of Puritans, sometimes called "radical Protestants," consisted of people who gravitated to Democratic norms. They were fleeing the English crown.

Protestantism was, in large measure, a revolt against the hierarchical structure of Catholicism. Whereas the Roman Church held that one needed a Priest to make peace with God, Protestantism held that a lay man could do this without a clergyman and this was conducive to the belief that no elites were needed. (Of course,sometimes Protestantism was dismissive of the common man as Calvin said that many people were inherently rotten and destined to go to Hell.)

Also the Puritans were opposed to the "High Church" tendency of the English aristocracy (High Church refers to Protestantism that is a bit more like Catholicism, which tends to lavishly adorn and decorate their churches, and which is more hierarchical than Radical Protestants or Puritans.)

In any event, the Puritans (And yes I know they were sexual prudes and oppressive but that's another issue) in their opposition to hierarchy were implicitly supportive of the common man and this created fertile ground for Democracy and later the Roosveltian Reforms of the New Deal.

By contrast, the people who settled in Virginia were ARISTOCRATS WHO FLED ENGLAND BECAUSE OF THE ASCENDENCE OF OLIVER CROMWELL. Very simply, the Virginia colony, and to a large extent the South, was settled by aristocrats. Obviously, they were not very keen on democracy or freedom. They luxuriated in a slave society which had the regressive features of Feudalism. (In Alabama, in around 1910, a man had to have 10 grand in the bank to be allowed to vote.)

In any event, the conservative streak of America finds its origins in the aristocrats who settled the South.

Most political scientists realize that the Virginia and Mass colonists were antipodal entities in England, but the idea that they became the template for the American Left and the American Right is my idea.

Last edited by DoggedDavid; 12-26-2017 at 07:40 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DoggedDavid For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-26-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:21 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by DoggedDavid View Post
The beginning of this thread alluded to two migrations to America:

"East Anglia to Massachusetts
The Exodus of the English Puritans (Pilgrims and Puritans influenced the Northeastern United States' corporate and educational culture)[3]
The South of England to Virginia
The Cavaliers and Indentured Servants (Gentry influenced the Southern United States' plantation culture)[4]"

However, I did not see any discussion of the significance and implications of these two different migratons.

The two different migrations came from two polar political sensibilities in England, and, in my view, were the progenitor of contemporary liberalism and contemporary conservatism in America. (In this post, I am defining liberalism as the mainstream press defines it, not as how philosphers define it.)

The first migration, which consisted of Puritans, sometimes called "radical Protestants," consisted of people who gravitated to Democratic norms. They were fleeing the English crown.

Protestantism was, in large measure, a revolt against the hierarchical structure of Catholicism. Whereas the Roman Church held that one needed a Priest to make peace with God, Protestantism held that a lay man could do this without a clergyman and this was conducive to the belief that no elites were needed. (Of course,sometimes Protestantism was dismissive of the common man as Calvin said that many people were inherently rotten and destined to go to Hell.)

Also the Puritans were opposed to the "High Church" tendency of the English aristocracy (High Church refers to Protestantism that is a bit more like Catholicism, which tends to lavishly adorn and decorate their churches, and which is more hierarchical than Radical Protestants or Puritans.)

In any event, the Puritans (And yes I know they were sexual prudes and oppressive but that's another issue) in their opposition to hierarchy were implicitly supportive of the common man and this created fertile ground for Democracy and later the Roosveltian Reforms of the New Deal.

By contrast, the people who settled in Virginia were ARISTOCRATS WHO FLED ENGLAND BECAUSE OF THE ASCENDENCE OF OLIVER CROMWELL. Very simply, the Virginia colony, and to a large extent the South, was settled by aristocrats. Obviously, they were not very keen on democracy or freedom. They luxuriated in a slave society which had the regressive features of Feudalism. (In Alabama, in around 1910, a man had to have 10 grand in the bank to be allowed to vote.)

In any event, the conservative streak of America finds its origins in the aristocrats who settled the South.

Most political scientists realize that the Virginia and Mass colonists were antipodal entities in England, but the idea that they became the template for the American Left and the American Right is my idea.

You just gave Mohican a boner😀

Heíll be with you shortly, with decades of history books in tow.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:41 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 41

Brian, I know you are being funny, but I don't get the joke.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:44 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by DoggedDavid View Post
Brian, I know you are being funny, but I don't get the joke.

Do you know who Mohican is?

Old 12-28-2017, 06:53 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...loved that post..." went the goblin thanking David for making his day in pointing out the english civil war between the roundheads of parliament and the cavaliers of royalty continues on to this day, adding "...back and forth swings the pendulum, seems most folks can't stand either side for long, the royalists lost first, then twenty years later the roundheads lost too, then the royalist lost a second time as britain became a constitutional monarchy in compromise towards parliament, no doubt the present day system won't last forever neither...")
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
DoggedDavid (12-31-2017)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table