WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Find a meaning

Old 02-14-2018, 08:25 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725
Default Find a meaning

Here's my thing.

I've always
for as long as I can remember
been able to employ this kind of thinking
in order to bring some calm to a situation.

Whatever is going on in the world
it is in the context of the universe
inconsequential... so y'know,
don't get too sucked up
into your own story like it really
matters in the grand scheme.

Like there...
really is a grand scheme

That little mental exercise
can dwindle the significance
of any tragedy.

Here is the clincher --
anything which isn't human
careth not that we perish

But apparently a clinical
psychologist I was listening to
suggested that those people
who really take that kind of thinking
seriously are not at peace at all.

In fact completely the opposite,
they are deeply troubled and at risk
of suicide.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

There are those who are motherfuckers; they climb atop hills with high powered weapons and take as many innocent victims with them as possible.
Then there are those who are deeply troubled and cannot cope with all the fucking rules and regulations we place upon one another. These individuals put a pistol to their heads to leave the madness behind. Nevertheless, these are the ones who deserve medals because they harmed nobody else but themselves -- and tragically the loved ones they left behind.

Addictions, mental breakdowns, anxiety, hopelessness ... so many causes which lead someone to a feeling of being at the rope's end. Peace is nice. And, if all would be at peace with themselves, besides having no suicides, there wouldn't be a single murder committed in the world tomorrow. Peace is what Christ preached two thousand years ago, long before a psychologist mentioned it to you.

Last edited by Cityboy; 02-14-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 988

I advise against suicide JC. It doesn’t end well.

I too have always thought like that, found comfort in it. Not in an overt intentional way, so this made me think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-15-2018, 01:23 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
There are those who are motherfuckers; they climb atop hills with high powered weapons and take as many innocent victims with them as possible.
Then there are those who are deeply troubled and cannot cope with all the fucking rules and regulations we place upon one another. These individuals put a pistol to their heads to leave the madness behind. Nevertheless, these are the ones who deserve medals because they harmed nobody else but themselves -- and tragically the loved ones they left behind.
You are on exactly the right track here (except for the medal awarding bit, I'd probably shy away from saying that). Apparently this is where this thinking eventually leads. It's the commonality between suicidal people some of whom wish to take others with them -- nihilism. That life is meaningless.

So I guess I dip my toes in it to stave off any sort of hyper-emotional states which might be stifling -- but you travel deep down into that rabbit hole at your peril. And promoting it as a philosophy amongst humans is probably a sure fire route to total destruction.

Psychologically speaking, it's probably why the 20th century was such an unprecedented disaster.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:32 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

This issue is much too complicated for a poem based upon a one-liner from a psychologist. If you were the parent of a child who was murdered by a suicidal nut job, you might reconsider your initial thoughts. Suicide is a tough swallow, especially when the person leaves behind children. But, my point -- which you miss -- is that the person harms only himself/herself. It's not destruction -- it's a FACT. I've known childhood friends who have committed suicide. And how I wish they would have never done it, I must give them credit for not even thinking about harming any STRANGERS. It's a dark moment, a-no-way-out state of mind for the individual who commits. And when a person ventures into that territory, anything is possible. Yet, when the damage is minimized to just one family -- yes, I do believe a medal should be issued.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:38 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

How can anyone find peace when rational reasoning disintegrates? Can a goldfish survive on your front lawn? Mental health issue, not a "Give-Peace-A-Chance" issue.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:41 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

This isn't really a poem I don't think -- I was just rambling. All my rambling goes in this section.

That's pretty cool though, I mean the thought of handing out medals for not killing people.

There's a book in there somewhere.

In general, the idea that it only harms the person committing suicide is unpalatable I'm afraid. The only way it works is in the absence of any loved ones.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:20 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
That's pretty cool though, I mean the thought of handing out medals for not killing people.

Unfortunately, the world has reached this low point. // In the extreme case in which the suicide victim hasn't a family, one could make a case that he or she has harmed no other. But, anyway, you're intelligent enough to grasp what I'm saying about "medals."

Broaden your rambling. You toss out some interesting stuff.

Last edited by Cityboy; 02-15-2018 at 06:22 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing