WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Your Favourite Song of All-Time

Old 12-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61
Default Your Favourite Song of All-Time

Carrying on from my "Has Rock n' Roll Sold its Soul thread". So, what are you favourite songs of all time? Here are my top five:

5. Back in Black - AC/DC. The song (and album) that propelled AC/DC into superstardom. An insanely fast riff, coupled with two of Angus Young's best solos, this remains my personal favourite AC/DC song of all time.

4. Champagne Supernova - Oasis. Quite simply the song of the nineties. Oasis's best song, in my opinion. Deep lyrics, great guitar playing, and everything you could ask from a song.

3. Sweet Child o' Mine - Guns n' Roses. Possibly the most recognisable song in the history of Rock n' Roll. Arguably the greatest riff in Rock n' Roll history. Rumour has it that Slash (Saul Hudson) was messing about with his guitar one day, playing the riff, when Axl walked in and said that it perfectly suited the lyrics to a new song he was writing. The rest is history.

2. Nothing Else Matters - Metallica. Considered by many to be Metallica's greatest song. I think it's actually better than that. I think Nothing Else Matters might just be the best Heavy Metal song of all-time; and it's not even a Heavy Metal song!

1. November Rain. Guns n' Roses. There are not enough words to describe how unbelievable this song is. Axl Rose wrote it for his wife after she said she wanted to leave him. It won her back, as well as turning the Rock n' Roll world on its head. The single best solo ever in history, in my opinion, and some of Axl's deepest lyrics both combine to make this my favourite song of all-time.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 323

Love 'em all, Daedelus! November Rain is one rockin' song. Mine are a little less from the era of classic rock, but great songs all:

5. With or Without You - U2

A terrific ballad, one that revolutionized the use of delay effects on guitar. The vocals are soaring and emotional, and it's a simple, yet beautiful song.

4. Higher Power - Boston

Tom Scholz's guitar is simple, but unbelievably infectious. The synergy of the vocals and instruments craft an energetic anthem for the ages. I can't say there's ever been a song more easy to tap your foot to.

3. Memento Mori - Kamelot

Sweeping, rich instrumentation, poetic lyrics, one of the most well-orchestrated, terrifically produced songs ever. Roy Khan has a talent for injecting life into his lyrics, and this song is no exception. Thomas Youngblood and Sascha Paeth made a terrific music-writing duo on this one.

2. And Then There Was Silence - Blind Guardian

Fourteen minutes of the richest, most interwoven melodies in all music. How can you go wrong with such a huge orchestra backing a catchy guitar melody together with soaring, energetic vocals. Rhythimc and melodic at the same time.

1. Over the Hills and Far Away - Gary Moore

One of the best guitarists of all time produces one of the best songs of all time. Not only does it tell a story (All the best songs do ), but it's crossed with Irish rhythms and instruments. It's a metal song, a jig, and a ballad all at the same time. Including one of his most interesting solos and a rocking bagpipe backing. Man, what a song!

EDIT: I just noticed that two Irish artists made it on to the list. Ireland, quite obviously, rocks!

Last edited by Winterbite; 12-24-2008 at 07:16 PM..
Old 12-24-2008, 05:07 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

My musical tastes are too varied to name an all time favorite... but I have to say you have good taste in music. So, with an emphasis on modern stuff rather than folk or opera...

I like Freebird, by Lynyrd Skynyrd, simply because I find myself incapable of turning off the car when it's playing. It's over the top, though, so I can't listen too often.

For my softer moods, Hey There Delilah, by the Plain White T's, is very nice. Makes me get a little teary, but in a sweet way.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Val Jester (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 13

I am more into the modern hardcore and indie.

So I would have to say:

What Sarah Said - Death Cab for Cutie

A very soft song with deep meaningful lyrics and a great sound to it in my opinion.

Desperate Times, Desperate Measures - Underoath

An intense song about overcoming addictions. Full of really good screaming and the like.

A new favourite band is The National, my favourite song as of this moment would have to be "Racing like a Pro", by said band.

Those are just a few, I am really tired and can't think of anything else right now!
Old 12-25-2008, 12:45 AM
El902 (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 43
Send a message via AIM to El902 Send a message via MSN to El902

Music is the epitome of my soul (not sure if that's the right context, but yeh get it).

5. Wonderwall, Oasis -- My best friend of long ago as well as an old boyfriend both sang this to me. Corny as hell, but it's a sweet song. Actually, another best friend dedicated this to me also... Popular song.

4. Teenage Dirt bag, Wheatus -- Old favorite, but I just downloaded it a few days ago and I still love it.

3. One, Metalica -- IMO, this was their greatest song. The music itself is amazing enough, but the story behind the lyrics is just effing depressing, and I can't turn it off when it comes on.

2. Gives you hell, All American Rejects -- I know, I know... But they're catchy, damn it! Just have a listen to the lyrics... Hilarious, really.

1. Hallelujah, originally done by Leonard Cohen but I prefer Kate Voegele's -- I can literally loop this song for hours, and do just that quite frequently.

1. Untitled, Against Me! -- Song's always stuck with me...

Not to mention Canon Rock, by Funtwo; Welcome Home, The Suffering, Everything Evil, and Wake Up by Coheed and Cambria; Thrash Unreal, Pints of Guiness Make You Strong, by Against Me!; Nothing Better, Clark Gable, and Sleeping In by The Postal Service... Angry Johnny by Poe, The Kid's Aren't Allright, by the Offspring, and, God help me, Build God, Then We'll Talk by Panic! at the Disco. Crystal, by Stevie Nicks, Hallowed be Thy Name by Cradle of Filth or Iron Maiden; You're So Last Summer, There's No "I" In Team by Taking Back Sunday.

Actually, go have a listen to Seventy times 7 by Brand New, and then There's No "I" In Team, by Taking Back Sunday. The lead singer of Brand New (guitarist, maybe) wrote Seventy Times 7 to the... A band member of TBS, and then the member of TBS wrote There's No "I" In Team back to him. They're good songs, 'specially if you happen to be pissed at someone. If There's No "I" In Team doesn't start with "I can't regret..." then it's titled wrong -- it's like that on a few sites.

And then there's Jesus Christ by Brand New, one of their greatest songs ever, along with Degausser.

My Favorite list goes on for a while... That's about an eighth of it.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

EL - I like Kate Voegele's Hallelujah as well. Cohen's (and this may be sacrilegious to say) version is boring and bland. The best version out there, in my opinion, is by an Irish singer: Rufus Wainwright. You should check it out.

Funtwo's version of Canon in D - I still believe Guitar90 does a better version of that on youtube.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:06 AM
El902 (Offline)

Thanks 43

I agree with that -- For some reason, neither Cohen, Jeff Buckley, or Gavin Degraw did it well. Maybe it just needs a woman's voice...

Have you heard Samson, by Regina Spektor? If you can get used to her voice (lovely, but she pushes the octaves) the song is nice; it's about Samson and Delilah as well.

I think I've heard the version of Cannon you're talking about... Is it the white-shirted guy who makes a lot of faces?
Old 12-25-2008, 01:25 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Nope, blue shirt and cap. Here's the video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

Everyone says that Jeff Buckley's version is the best. I don't like it at all. This is the best, in my opinion: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0DKOGco_o
Old 12-25-2008, 01:39 AM
El902 (Offline)

Thanks 43

... Blue shirt and cap is Funtwo "Composed by Johann Pachelbel, Arranged by JerryC, Played by funtwo" Lol... We've agreed all this time.

I've never heard that version of Hallelujah -- it's nice. I still like Kate Voegele's better though; I think the quote from the show was "You'll think the Gods of cover music were here in your studio" or something to that effect.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Well, the poster's name is Guitar90, so I thought it was by him.

The show? One Tree Hill? I don't remember her singing it on One Tree Hill. I have heard her version, and it's the kind to stay with you, but I can't remember it on the show for the life of me.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:13 AM
El902 (Offline)

Thanks 43

Err... It was the episode where... I dunno. I remember Hailey bein' in a car though.

Which reminds me, and I don't know how I forgot her, Bethany Joy Galeotti is an amazing artist. Leaving Town Alive and Songs in My Pocket are great songs (the girl who plays Hailey/Haley/whatever have you)

Edit: Not Leaving Town Alive, but The Day After Today...

Last edited by El902; 12-25-2008 at 02:15 AM..
Old 12-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

I think her best song is Feel This, which she sang on the season finale of Series Three, I think. But, yeah, she's a multi-talented girl. A bit like Jennifer Love Hewitt, who also has an amazing voice.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:51 AM
El902 (Offline)

Thanks 43

Jennifer Hewitt sings? Odd...

Feel This was a good song... I like Honestly or Then Slowly Grows better though. She's definitely multi-talented; I just wish they'd played more of her songs on OTH, or that she'd hurry the hell up and make a new record... If she ever actually made a cd in the first place. I don't think she did.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:59 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Yeah, she's had an album or two out - Jennifer. Here's her best song, in my opinion: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg377DeHgsM

Bethany - I don't know whether she made an album or not. I know that her character, Haley, left Nathan in the show to pursue a music career, because in real life Bethany was pregnant and she needed time off. She made an album on the show. Whether she made one in real life, I don't know.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38
Send a message via AIM to Castiel Send a message via MSN to Castiel Send a message via Yahoo to Castiel Send a message via Skype™ to Castiel

On Bethany: She has yet to make an album, but it's in the works. And I think Halo is her best song.

On J.Love: That's my favorite song by her, too, Daedalus. I watched that video a million times. Because I couldn't find the song.

My favorite songs:

1. If I Can Dream by Elvis Presley

2. Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer

3. Bring Me to Life by Evanescence

4. Time of the Season by Ben Taylor (The Zombies version as well)

5. Gunpowder And Lead by Miranda Lambert (my current favorite)

Music is my first love, so my favorite songs change a lot, but 1 and 2 will always remain the first and second.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 867

I'll take two, please.

"Imagine" by John Lennon

"Sounds of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel

Last edited by Gaines; 12-28-2008 at 09:32 PM..
Old 12-29-2008, 04:09 AM
El902 (Offline)

Thanks 43

A few more songs have bumped their way into my favorites list, where I think they'll stay. All by The All American Rejects...

The Wind Blows -- The lyrics are definitely great, but it's the music that I love.
Mona Lisa
and Fallin' Apart -- Again, it's the music. So damn catchy... Hard to resist.

And Happy Ending is definitely worth a listen; tis what I have quoted in my signature. Perfect angsty break up song
Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Rezna (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 16
Send a message via AIM to Rezna Send a message via MSN to Rezna

Since it's the all-time favorite song, not songs, thread, I'll say:

Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf

Not really sure why.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Willow (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 6

I'll post 5 of my current favorites as there's no way I could ever pick one for all of time.

- I'll Be - Edwin McCain
- Why Don't You Kiss Her - Jesse McCartney
- Burning Times - Inkubus Sukkubus
- One Girl Revolution - Superchick
- Full Moon - The Black Ghosts

Yeah, I'm a little bit eclectic in my music tastes... And this doesn't even begin to cover all of the genres that I enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... the journey into writing my first novel
Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Mr.Gryn (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 27

Wow, now that's a tough one, but for me it changes every week but I am sure there is a favorite somewhere in the recesses of my grey matter. If anything it would be by Opeth or Porcupine Tree. I'll get back to you when I figure one out (for that day ofcourse)
Old 01-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

I'm like Gryn, whereas I can never really pinpoint a favorite. There are a few that I can listen to over-and-over again, so they must be some of my favs!

Have You Ever Seen the Rain - CCR

Brighter Discontent - The Submarines

These Boots Are Made for Walking - Nancy Sinatra (I can not stand the newer versions of this song. I used to listen to this album on the old record player my dad has, and there's definitely no substitute!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Fantasywriter (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Hmm . . . I don't know about my favorite song "of all time," but at the moment my favorite is In the End by Linkin Park!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
ArchAngel (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 7

Originally Posted by Winterbite View Post
Love 'em all, Daedelus! November Rain is one rockin' song. Mine are a little less from the era of classic rock, but great songs all:

3. Memento Mori - Kamelot

Sweeping, rich instrumentation, poetic lyrics, one of the most well-orchestrated, terrifically produced songs ever. Roy Khan has a talent for injecting life into his lyrics, and this song is no exception. Thomas Youngblood and Sascha Paeth made a terrific music-writing duo on this one.

2. And Then There Was Silence - Blind Guardian

Fourteen minutes of the richest, most interwoven melodies in all music. How can you go wrong with such a huge orchestra backing a catchy guitar melody together with soaring, energetic vocals. Rhythimc and melodic at the same time.
You get 19078482735x more love from me again for that.

Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
3. Bring Me to Life by Evanescence
Good stuff, that.

So, this could take some time to figure out for me; there's just so much awesome music in my media library...

1. Evergrey - Inner Circle

It's not a song, it's an Album. but you CANNOT make me choose ONE song from that album, they are all inhumanely epic! Astoundingly great power metal music, combined with a full symphony, powerful lyrics, so on. Simply brilliant.

2. Within Temptation - Ice Queen

Currently one of my favourite songs, after having witnessed to greatness of Within Temptation Live (even if it was only on DVD ). The song, typical of Within Temptation, has some of the best sounding female vocals i've ever heard as well as great Power Metal music to go along with it.

3. Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day or Darkness

This, too, is a full album. But then, it is also one song. It's a song, that lasts an entire album. And it is brilliant. Again, powerful, moving lyrics that are delivered in clean, soft vocals when the music calls for it, and energetic, powerful vocals at other times. And, also, a full symphony behind it as well as a choir. It's a musical masterpiece, if you ask me.

4. Kamelot - The Human Stain

Like what Winterbite said, the music is astounding, Roy Khan is simply a brilliant singer and this song has made me all tingly and such on more than one occasion.

5. Delain - Pristine

Brilliant combination of both power metal and symphonic elements. Delain is, i think, one of the best bands to have pulled it off. Simply brilliant music, and the vocals by both Charlotte and Marco Hietala (Nightwish)

And now, i'm going to do a sixth, simply 'cos i love it too much to ignore it

6. Lacuna Coil - Heaven's a Lie

While the vocals and lyrics are good, they don't compare to other songs on this list. However, the music is enough to make up for that completely. It's just... awesome...

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe