WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Moral Relativism

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Moral Absolutism or Moral Relativism
Morality is Absolute 0 0%
Morality is Relative 2 66.67%
With few exceptions I believe Morality is Absolute 0 0%
With few exceptions I believe Morality is Relative 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2018, 04:58 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Wait.

That's not a plumber clearing a drain with a "green" tool?

I can assure you thatís not how we do it. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 01-02-2018, 05:04 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
Morality can only be talked about in theory. And can only be 'proved' by logic.

And because of this, unfortunately, it is by definition relative.

It is perhaps the greatest and ultimate task for philosophy to define what we might call moral absolutes.

Ask even simple questions such as are 'thou shalt not kill' or 'thou shalt not steal' moral absolutes and you'll find a heap of grey areas which are tricky to untangle. The obvious one to polarise these discussions is 'is taxation stealing?'.

As a start though I think it's fair to hold that there are behaviours which are [I]universally[I] preferable. That no-one wants to be stolen from, or murdered, makes honesty within trade, and non-violence universally preferable, and on this basis philosophically you can put the two injunctions forward as absolutes.

Aside from that it's still true that absolutes are reserved for hard science rather than philosophical abstractions.

And yet... there are still gray areas with murder and stealing. Like if some evil dude tortured and raped and killed your daughter, is it morally wrong to bust a crap in him? If you get a chance. Or send him to the electric chair. Somebody posted something about moral laws being for essentially ones own tribe. I think it was doggeddavid. He was talking about Jewish law, but it probably applies everywhere.

And I think this gets to the heart of the OP. But I can only say: we canít put the genie back in the bottle. So now we need new solutions. And we may have to wait for evolution to catch up.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Lockette (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 55

I think Mohican was just bored and wanted to see some people argue. Being the omniscient person he is, he wrote " This thread is moderated" at the top. Which, as we know, prompts everyone to go for the jugular. So yeah, thanks for the laughs, Mohican.

Morality is something that's decided by the person, right? It's what the person decides is right or wrong? Sure, society has it's politically correct morality, but if I believe the holocaust was morally right, who's to stop me?

It's one of the main reasons I have so many qualms with religion in general. It panders to the human fear of death. If we do these morally 'correct' things in life, we'll get rewarded in death. Whether that was sacrificing humans, or following the ten commandments, we followed. It was our morality.

Moral absolutes are very few and far between. I don't really believe that there is a universally accepted Moral absolute. At least, not one I can think of.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:10 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
And yet... there are still gray areas with murder and stealing. Like if some evil dude tortured and raped and killed your daughter, is it morally wrong to bust a crap in him? If you get a chance. Or send him to the electric chair. Somebody posted something about moral laws being for essentially ones own tribe. I think it was doggeddavid. He was talking about Jewish law, but it probably applies everywhere.

And I think this gets to the heart of the OP. But I can only say: we canít put the genie back in the bottle. So now we need new solutions. And we may have to wait for evolution to catch up.

Sure but you can make an argument that it is universally preferable not to be murdered. And therefore must also be universally preferable to do no murder, ie: to live in a world without murder. Since everyone can agree on that this is at least the closest you're going to get to a moral absolute.

The Bible is pretty interesting in this sense. Because it's got some ancient truths right, like treat as you want to be treated. But it's also so typically human in that it'll also have God sanction the sacking of whole cities.

OK so I don't want my city sacked, so I can't sack other cities. Once you do start sacking cities however, then we're back to an eye for an eye until we're all blind.

Furthermore, the West by and large has actually made the decision that busting a cap in the person who raped and killed your daughter is immoral; hence the cessation of the death penalty. I think this is predicated on the above, that in order to live in a world without violence there is at least an attempt to stop even reactionary attacks.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:14 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Wait.
That's not a plumber clearing a drain with a "green" tool?
You know, that never occurred to me. "Wang's Green Plumbing Co. All blockages cleared with maximum arousal." It could catch on.

And maybe there's a love story in it somewhere. "He was a passionate young plumber, she a cold and frigid overflow pipe. How could they express their forbidden love without him being arrested for indecency..?"
Old 01-04-2018, 03:29 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
You know, that never occurred to me. "Wang's Green Plumbing Co. All blockages cleared with maximum arousal." It could catch on.

And maybe there's a love story in it somewhere. "He was a passionate young plumber, she a cold and frigid overflow pipe. How could they express their forbidden love without him being arrested for indecency..?"

I can tell you from experience that his snake would have to be considerably longer to accomplish the goal most of the time.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Where's the old "torturing babies" argument?

Because supposedly, pretty much everyone agrees that's a bad thing to do.

As for the reverse, babies can torture adults on a nightly basis and get away with.

That hardly seems fair.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table