WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

States Take Fight To Defend Net Neutrality Into Their Own Hands

Old 01-31-2018, 05:13 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Profusive Denizen

Thanks 34
Default States Take Fight To Defend Net Neutrality Into Their Own Hands

You can read the original source or the copy/paste. Hope someone cares. I'm sharing because these reporters are oppressed by moguls. Have at it, it's actual important reading.. or someones idea of russian propaganda? I don't believe that, but NPR seems to think so. I have a lot of negative opinions about NPR, but this here is from a RT journalist:

1/30/2018 by Natalie McGill

With free and fair Internet on the line, a couple of state governments refuse to “wait and see” whether or not Congress will reverse the FCC’s net neutrality repeal.
A week after 21 states and the District of Columbia filed lawsuits against the FCC, Montana became the first state to enact its own net neutrality rules. Governor Steve Bullock signed an executive order on Jan. 22 that prohibits Verizon and other internet service providers (ISPs) with state contracts from blocking, throttling or creating fast lanes for certain websites.

Two days later, New York followed Montana’s lead. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s executive order also prevents state agencies from making deals with ISPs that don’t preserve fair Internet and prohibits them from charging higher rates to use certain applications. In short–you don’t have to shell out extra bucks each month to send a selfie to your friend on Snapchat.
These state governments are tapping into the what groups like Free Press and Fight for The Future have been broadcasting: The net neutrality repeal further deregulates massive telecoms that own the corporate media outlets and helps crush independent and alternative voices that are critical to cultivating and promoting movements like Occupy Wall Street and Black Lives Matter. Small business owners—for whom conservatives regularly claim to be looking out–will suffer from the lack of web traffic that larger companies can afford to pay the big bucks for. While ISPs are no stranger to violating net neutrality in the past, FCC’s repeal of Title II protections is the most wide-reaching telecom power grab.

The Senate only needs one more vote for a resolution to undo the FCC’s decision, but there’s still a Republican-held House of Representatives to tackle afterward. And remember, it took a minute for all of the Senate Democrats to come on board, which speaks to the power of the telecom industry’s influence.

It’s time to stop banking on our bought-off federal lawmakers and start pressuring our slightly less bought-off state lawmakers to fight back against big telecom’s spinning wheel of death.

Last edited by Beesauce; 01-31-2018 at 05:24 PM..
Old 01-31-2018, 05:22 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Profusive Denizen

Thanks 34

And then there is this, I must just post this before I leave. This is not an april fools but reality and this thread will host more and more news as I find fitting, people can read and comment and I might comment back, but I'm mostly sharing this because it's important and not a joke:

ORIGINAL SOURCE

Congress Passes Bill With Language Allowing Spiral Toward Fascism

1/26/18 by John F. O’Donnell

In the rush to pass a spending bill earlier this week to reopen the government, Congress allowed a very dangerous Trojan horse to slip through. Language in the bill hamstrings the legislative branch from being able to oversee or halt covert action programs by the intelligence community (CIA, NSA, FBI etc.). Even the Republican chair of the Senate Intelligence committee, Richard Burr, who is a big time friend of the deep state, explained how reckless this is. He said, “Effectively, the intelligence community could expend funds as it sees fit without an authorization bill in place and with no statutory direction indicating that an authorization bill for 2018 is forthcoming.” This means that unelected intelligence agencies can now move money around from program to program as they see fit WITHOUT Congress’s authorization or even knowledge.

This is nothing less than a not-so-slow crawl towards a fascistic government – one where the feasibility of a private army that reports directly to the President, beyond Congressional oversight, is a possibility. In fact Erik Prince, formerly the head of the mercenary war criminal group Blackwater (now called Academi), has implored President Trump to create a CIA-affiliated privately contracted army to take over the fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq.

This entire situation is even scarier because Congress ALREADY fails to reign in the Deep State. They’re in bed with special interests, like the weapons industry, who have infiltrated the intelligence community. Beyond that, so much of our intelligence gathering has been privatized, sold off to just a handful of massive corporations that ALREADY don’t have much accountability or transparency. This further erosion of the separation of powers, cynically slipped into a high-pressure bill to reopen the government, clearly shows something is broken in Washington (as we covered in this segment on Redacted Tonight).

Last edited by Beesauce; 01-31-2018 at 05:27 PM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table