WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Germs From Space

Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Germs From Space

An absurd irony has dawned on me recently. Humans invented a way to end all life on earth (stockpiles of nuclear weapons) BEFORE we understood how vulnerable the planet is to natural cataclysm that caused mass extinctions several times since life first appeared.

The other night I watched a science program on TV about the so-called "antipodal theory" of volcanic hot spots in the middle of tectonic plates where volcanos shouldn't exist -- places like Hawaii.

The vast majority of volcanos are located along rifts between two tectonic plates. Subduction allows magma to vent to the surface through these cracks in the earth's mantle.

The antipodal theory argues that when an asteroid or comet impacts earth, it sends a massive shock wave through the earth's core to the exact opposite side (or antipodal side) of the planet. At that point it drives magma to the surface and causes a huge volcanic eruption.

If the theory is true (and evidence is piling up that it is), several million years ago an impact somewhere off the southern coast of Africa resulted in the first island in the Hawaiian chain -- a volcano that erupted in the area now known as French Frigate Shoals until it formed land above sea level.

Yet no scientists are looking for an impact crater in the ocean offshore of southern Africa to explain Hawaii's volcanic hot spot, which I find rather odd. For one thing an impact of that size would have caused radical climate change that led to the extinction of numerous species of life.

There are so few hot spots in the world, tracing the origin of Hawaii's would go a long way in proving the antipodal theory and explaining the extinctions of that geological period.

The mystery of the dinosaur extinction was finally solved by the discovery of a huge asteroid impact crater off the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico.

In another nature program on TV one scientist said he believes that the worst disease epidemics came from comets or asteroids that impacted earth.

In fact, he thinks life didn't originate on earth. It came from space two billion years ago during a time of frequent impacts.

The worst pandemic in human history, the 1918 flu that may have killed as many as 100 million people worldwide, broke out the same day on opposite sides of the globe in Boston and Bombay. This was before airline travel and defies the current theory that flu can only be passed from person to person by relatively close contact.

The 1918 strain of flu was like no other flu virus known to man. Some people died within hours of showing the first symptoms and in some locations an unprecedented 90% of the population became infected in a matter of days.

These anomalies could be explained if the virus showered to earth from space. Another piece of evidence supporting this explanation is the fact that birds are often the first species to become infected by flu.

Humans and other animals on earth would have no natural immunity to pathogens from space. The 1918 flu killed by causing an over-response by the immune system, leading to lungs filling up with blood from hemorrhaging. This is a typical response to a pathogen that has never been encountered before by the human population. Old strains of flu offer partial immunity to new strains through genetic inheritance of anti-bodies.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:46 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

If the theory is true (and evidence is piling up that it is), several million years ago an impact somewhere off the southern coast of Africa resulted in the first island in the Hawaiian chain -- a volcano that erupted in the area now known as French Frigate Shoals until it formed land above sea level.

Yet no scientists are looking for an impact crater in the ocean offshore of southern Africa to explain Hawaii's volcanic hot spot, which I find rather odd.
Does that take drift into account? A programme I watched on the Galapagos said that although they were formed by volcanoes, the natural drift meant that older islands were no longer over the volcano. This also allowed for the creation of new islands (the Galapagos chain is still growing.)

The mystery of the dinosaur extinction was finally solved by the discovery of a huge asteroid impact crater off the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico.
I think solved is a bit too certain. But scientists do believe this is the most likely theory at the present time, or so I gather from the programmes I've seen. Also, does this mean there is a volcano in the Indian Ocean, exactly opposite the Yucatan Peninsula? Not arguing here, just asking because I'm curious. I make the antipodal area to be near Indonesia. Hmm, curious.

Re the 1918 flu pandemic, for a while it was believed that this was what was colloquically called 'swine flu', having passed from birds through swine to humans. Now it is believed that this virus passed directly from birds to humans. The current bird flu is classified as H5N1; the 1918 pandemic was strain H1N1. Maybe the birds caught alien flu and passed it to us. After Daphne duMaurier's story, I'll believe anything about the varmints!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Queen of Wands View Post
Does that take drift into account? A programme I watched on the Galapagos said that although they were formed by volcanoes, the natural drift meant that older islands were no longer over the volcano. This also allowed for the creation of new islands (the Galapagos chain is still growing.)
The same is true of Hawaii. The hot spot is now located under the Big Island and a nearby undersea volcano called Loihi. The Pacific plate has drifted 1,500 miles to the east-southeast since the first Hawaiian island surfaced.

Originally Posted by Queen of Wands View Post
Also, does this mean there is a volcano in the Indian Ocean, exactly opposite the Yucatan Peninsula?
Very likely and it may explain the origin of one of the volcanic Indonesian islands.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction