WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry > Lyrics

Lyrics Put the writing to the "beat"!

Gold Standard?

Old 08-12-2006, 01:02 AM
druidkat7 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Location: in a teensy Iowa town that lost its horse ages ago.
Thanks 0
Send a message via Yahoo to druidkat7
Default Gold Standard?

I've seen all of you post some pretty cool lyrics of your own...but I am very curious to know who or what has set the 'Gold Standard' in your mind for writing lyrics? Who's your chief inspiration for writing lyrics in the first place? Who is the one lyricist whose level you aspire to but just aren't sure you'd get there any time soon?

What do you go for? Intensity? Humor? Depth? Spirituality? Just plain enjoyable stuff that could be played at a family picnic?

I know I have one particular lyricist in mind for all of the above...and maybe I'm putting him on an unnecessary pedestal, since he is reputed to be a very humble fellow, but the guy makes me want to write stuff that actually says something and isn't completely lame or "cotton-candy." I mean, I like to write parodies, but I know there is something deeper...it's learning how to say it in lyric form that doesn't sound amateurish or a wanna-be.

It's beddy-bye time...and though I'd love to stay up later, I gotta work...yeah, I got rehired at an old workplace...pizzas...yum!

BB,
Kat ^.^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20

I have a few I really look up to. Daron Malakian, Davey Havok, Amy Lee, Patrick Stump, Ian Watkins, Andrew Jordan, and several others, but those for the main reason of their psasion for lyrics, and passion for music. I love it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20

Oh - Um...

System of a Down, AFI, Evanescence, Fall Out Boys, Lostprophets, and Matchbook Romance (those are the members I named in that order as the above post)

Old 08-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Dragon Master (Offline)
Jabatt, Lord of Firethorn
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Dragon Master

Relient K is who I would love to write like. Yeah, I don't really write lyrics, but that's because I only dream about it. If I ever tried, that wouldn't be a pretty picture. lol
No turning back.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Boiled Frog (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to Boiled Frog

underOATH....

Billy Talent...

lots more, I'd blow up if I would answer that tonight.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:53 AM
druidkat7 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Location: in a teensy Iowa town that lost its horse ages ago.
Thanks 0
Send a message via Yahoo to druidkat7

Originally Posted by Oasis Writer
Oh - Um...

System of a Down, AFI, Evanescence, Fall Out Boys, Lostprophets, and Matchbook Romance (those are the members I named in that order as the above post)
Yeah, I'm with you about Amy Lee...she's got somethin' goin' on...my first intro to Evanescence was their song they did for "DareDevil," (a movie I enjoyed on its own, btw)...though some of the others I am not that familiar with...

But, I have to say, IMO, for spirituality, intensity, depth and humor, the prize goes to, and always WILL go to, Jon Anderson of YES, both with the group and on his own. I've been a fan of his since I was a kid--20 yrs ago, if that's believable...I'm dyin' to meet him, though I doubt I will. He's the one lyricist whose lyrics AND vocals have enchanted members of both genders.

Next in line would be Neil Diamond and Bob Dylan.

You can tell my parents raised me on these guys...but I chose Jon as my favorite a long time ago with no extra "help" from mom n dad, other than Pop bringing home Jon's christmas album to introduce Mom and me to the music.

As I've said before...I've been hooked ever since...

BB,
Kat ^.^

Old 08-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20

Country stylings, for me, would be Kenny Chesney, Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, Tim Mcgraw, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Dixie Chicks and so many others. I'm not a big country fan, but there are some that have really blown me away.

Thought I'd through in a few country too (Spelling on any of those, if so, sorry)

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry > Lyrics