WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Help me take a step

Old 09-24-2016, 08:05 PM
Pete (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Help me take a step

Hey writers,

I'm Pete, new member. For my first appeal to my fellow lovers of the written word, I want to ask for some advice. I've recently finished a short story called "Slated Track." It includes symbolism and themes paying homage to Dickens's "Christmas Carol" including a main character reminiscent of Scrooge. It's a little over 6,000 words long. Like much of my work, it's hard to think of a platform to submit this to. Anybody have any thoughts?

Old 09-24-2016, 08:10 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 581

Post the first 1500 words in the 'members only' section here (that way you don't give up first rights). From an example people can get an idea of what you're talking about.

But first, you need to make five posts. Go critique some crap in the fiction section.😆

Doh! Did I say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 136

Read my story, man. It's one the few if not only complete and polished short stories posted here in recent site history.

I'm not saying it's great; if I thought so, I wouldn't have posted it here. But it's all there. With characters and grownup dialog and a real sense of place.

Give me some decent feedback and I'll critique the shit out of whatever you post here, if it's at least competently written. Whether or not you like my story, you'll probably gather that I have a clue.

http://www.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=60430

Cheers.

Last edited by Myers; 09-25-2016 at 06:30 PM..
Old 09-25-2016, 05:31 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi Pete. Your post follows mine for reference.

What do you mean by 'platform'? Markets looking for stories to publish? If so, do a google for "short story fiction". There's lots out there. If you're just looking for feedback WB is a good place to start. However, 3000 words is the limit here for each submission. Yours is 6000. Many here break up their longer stories in multiple submissions, part 1, part 2, etc. I've tried that a couple of times and hated the response so I stopped. Since your story is beyond the limit and if you want freeback on it it, consider doing a 'beta trade' with another writer of long work. There's a forum here for beta trades.

Good luck to you and welcome aboard. wrc

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Hey writers,

I'm Pete, new member. For my first appeal to my fellow lovers of the written word, I want to ask for some advice. I've recently finished a short story called "Slated Track." It includes symbolism and themes paying homage to Dickens's "Christmas Carol" including a main character reminiscent of Scrooge. It's a little over 6,000 words long. Like much of my work, it's hard to think of a platform to submit this to. Anybody have any thoughts?

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Myers (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 136

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Like much of my work, it's hard to think of a platform to submit this to. Anybody have any thoughts?
https://duotrope.com/

http://www.pw.org/literary_magazines?perpage=*

http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Pete (09-26-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 10:13 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 584

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Post the first 1500 words in the 'members only' section here (that way you don't give up first rights). From an example people can get an idea of what you're talking about.

But first, you need to make five posts. Go critique some crap in the fiction section.😆

Doh! Did I say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If one has been keeping up one would have realized that the word count in the Members section was eliminated long, long ago.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Pygasus (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

I just published a book of short stories by a writer named Steve Slavin through Fatdogbooks.com. It's called, "To the City, With Love." In his acknowledgements, he listed these publications as magazines he worked with over the years that published his stories. Maybe there's one for you?

Across the Margin, Against the Wall, Birmingham Arts Journal, Bitchiní Kitch, Cactus Elbow, Chicago Record Magazine, Corvus Review, Danse Macabre, Down and Out, Down in the Dirt, Downstate Story, Eskimo Pie, FICTION on the WEB, Fifth Estate, Free Focus, Friday Fiction, Greenís Magazine, hackwriters, Half Tones to Jubilee, Jewish Currents, Near 2 the Knuckle, Nerve Cowboy, New Pop Lit, Nuthouse, Open Magazine, Potluck, Punchnelís, riverSedge, Section8, Shalla Magazine, Short Stories BiMonthly, Skylark, The Ecphorizer, The Literary Yard, The Path, The Pointed Circle, The Tower Journal, Through the Gaps, Tucumcari, Up Front Muse International Review, Winamop, Work Literary Magazine, and Ygdrasil.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 581

I'm familiar with Steve's work. Good for him. His prose is so tight and clear.

Last edited by brianpatrick; 12-15-2016 at 06:00 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback