WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

In Pencil, Issue 19 - Announcement

Old 07-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default In Pencil, Issue 19 - Announcement

Hello everyone,

For those of you waiting for the release of the July issue of In Pencil, you'll have to be patient. Time constraints will delay publication until July 18th. We apologize for the delay, but we're still working to put forth the best issue we possibly can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 07-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Oasis Writer (Offline)
A Crimson Evanescence
Loyal Member

Thanks 20

Looking forward to it

Old 07-04-2008, 04:39 AM
josiehenley (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 3

thanks for letting us know Icarus. I'm sure it'll be fabulous.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Just wanted to ask as to when Issue 19 will be released, as it is the 18th and most of the day has already gone?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

We've been severely handicapped but the issue is in progress and will be in the final stages soon. Once we're done we have to wait for an admin to upload it.

And for some of us, the day isn't mostly gone.

|
|
|
Old 07-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Baron (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11

Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
We've been severely handicapped but the issue is in progress and will be in the final stages soon. Once we're done we have to wait for an admin to upload it.

And for some of us, the day isn't mostly gone.
???

Old 07-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Issue 19 should have been ready and available for download by 1 July, but in spite of most of the zine being prepared and ready on time, the zine is late. We can only apologise to our members, most especially those who will be published in that issue. In Pencil will be published, eventually; all we can do is ask our members to please be patient. Thank you!

EDIT: I should add that a lot of hard work has gone into it, and Icarus and Mridula are burning the midnight oil to make this one the best yet. Hopefully you will agree

Last edited by Q Wands; 07-22-2008 at 02:33 AM..
Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Mridula (Offline)
Following Time
Official Member

Thanks 17

I have a few updates for all those who are interested.

On the bright side, all the pages are completed and have been compiled into one document. Issue 19 is essentially done, for all artistic purposes. On the not-so-bright side, the size of the document is 14 MB. Even I would hesitate to download anything that size, so I'm now working on how to compress it to at least a quarter of its current size. Any suggestions from members regarding this would be more than welcome.

I know that many of you have been waiting for this for a while. I can only apologise for the delay. My computer has been plagued by frequent shutdowns and freezes and that has hampered any progress. Besides this, there have been random bursts of pretty flying pink and purple ponies that make me want to go and catch them.

Well. Barring the 'ponies' comment (really!), I honestly have not been able to make progress as fast as I would have liked because of the simple reasons of time and inexperience. I apologise once again for any inconvenience caused, and hope you will forgive us once the issue is finally compressed and ready.

Until then,

Cheers!
M

Old 07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Is the document size related to package used to create it? Just a question from a non-techie worrying about how we'll manage going forward.

In any case, this should be grand because a lot of work has gone into it. I think our members will appreciate that once it is finally available.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:55 PM
glberen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 8

14MB isn't a lot to download unless you are still on dial-up.

If you want to cut down on the file size, just take out all the e's, and's, and ly words. That should help. You can also drop a little punctuation because it doesn't really hurt sometimes if things run together because even though one is urged to pause by a lack of breath one doesn't have to obey the urge and can instead plow on and forward like a drunk haughtily shaking his keys and declaring that he can indeed drive for he's only had six drinks and they were watered down at that by those crooks behind the bar especially that one with the hazel eyes that refused to give him her phone number and had fat ankles anyway damn it.

Last edited by glberen; 07-23-2008 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: i lacked a had!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Take out all the e's! Good lord, man! That's the most common letter in the alphabet!

If you wr to rmov all th 's from all th words in th pic of work, thn you'd b lft with somthing that looks a bit lik this.

Last edited by Daedalus; 07-23-2008 at 03:21 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Heehee. But it is a funny suggestion.

Meanwhile, I've just had a look-see because I bought several short story magazines as PDF downloads once (it was cheaper than buying the print copies, and they were on sale) and they are between 500 and 1000 KB each, so 14MB is nothing. Even 14KB would be nothing. Something doesn't sound right.

Last edited by Q Wands; 07-23-2008 at 04:53 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

If you wr to rmov all th 's from all th words in th pic of work, thn you'd b lft with somthing that looks a bit lik this.
Oh, that's all right. Our minds will fill in all the missing 'e's quite easily.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 07-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Mridula (Offline)
Following Time
Official Member

Thanks 17

Originally Posted by Q Wands View Post
Is the document size related to package used to create it? Just a question from a non-techie worrying about how we'll manage going forward.
I honestly have no idea. Rest assured, when I finally figure out how to compress it, I will pass on the advice to you. No worries.

Originally Posted by glberen View Post
14MB isn't a lot to download unless you are still on dial-up.
None of our issues have ever been above 3 MB, so 14 MB is comparatively big. And considering that I have to upload this ....

Originally Posted by glberen
If you want to cut down on the file size, just take out all the e's, and's, and ly words. That should help. You can also drop a little punctuation because it doesn't really hurt sometimes if things run together because even though one is urged to pause by a lack of breath one doesn't have to obey the urge and can instead plow on and forward like a drunk haughtily shaking his keys and declaring that he can indeed drive for he's only had six drinks and they were watered down at that by those crooks behind the bar especially that one with the hazel eyes that refused to give him her phone number and had fat ankles anyway damn it.
Hahahaha! Wll unfortunatly thos things do mattr although I am not opposd to th suggstion of dropping all th 's for th hck of it and sing how pople ract though that might not b too wis considring this is a writing magazin.

Meanwhile, I've just had a look-see because I bought several short story magazines as PDF downloads once (it was cheaper than buying the print copies, and they were on sale) and they are between 500 and 1000 KB each, so 14MB is nothing. Even 14KB would be nothing. Something doesn't sound right.
C, 14 MB is 14 megabytes, which is 14 X 1000 kilobytes (KB), so this file is 14,000 KB. So, yes. It's quite big.

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Oh, that's all right. Our minds will fill in all the missing 'e's quite easily.
Indeed it will.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

C, 14 MB is 14 megabytes, which is 14 X 1000 kilobytes (KB), so this file is 14,000 KB. So, yes. It's quite big.
Damn! I cannot get the hang of this metric stuff. Thanks for explaining.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Jarin

Will you let me know when it's done so I can take a nose?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

It's arrival will be announced as soon as it is ready so all our members can download it.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Baron (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11

It's arrival will be announced as soon as it is ready so all our members can download it.
Is this about the production o an e-zine or a rewrite of "A Comedy of Errors"?

14mb is not a large file by today's standards.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Is this about the production o an e-zine or a rewrite of "A Comedy of Errors"?

14mb is not a large file by today's standards.
Um, yes. We have run into a few unforeseen problems. But it really is on it's way!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 AM
awford (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 5

The large file size is most likely the result of the embedded images. You could compress those before adding them the layout program to possibly reduce file size. I'm with others though, 14MB is not big by today's standards unless you're on a dial-up connection.

I have some PDF tools and would be happy to try to generate a compressed version of what you have. What application are you using for page layout and export to PDF?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 PM
OnceUponATime (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Location: State of Insanity - I must be in order to start my own paper...
Thanks 12

Try reducing all the photos to 72 dpi and taking out some of the larger photos. Acrobat Professional should have a file compression setting under 'Document' or 'File' that says 'reduce file size.' This option will flatten all artwork and resample the images to a smaller size. If you haven't already done this, see if you can find that selection in the menu. Also, if you have a way of turning all your fonts to outlines (vector the type), this will help. If the PDF file doesn't have to load fonts for the viewer, it will cut down on file size.

-Jillian

Last edited by OnceUponATime; 07-24-2008 at 08:05 PM..
Old 07-25-2008, 03:10 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Problem is that it wasn't done in Acrobat this time. That would have been easier, but it wasn't possible. Hence the problems. But hopefully all this advice will help to sort our problems out.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Mridula (Offline)
Following Time
Official Member

Thanks 17

Ah, I made quite a few mistakes while compiling this issue, hence the problems with size. I've got it down to 11 MB (9.56 if zipped) and I doubt I'll be able to bring it down further without compiling it again from scratch.

I have emailed this to an admin and it will be uploaded this Monday. Once again, I apologise for the delay. This was a learning issue for me, and I hope that the next one won't be quite as problematic as this one was.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:09 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Years ago, I made a few silly newsletters in Microsoft Publisher, so there were templates, and that was still trouble enough. So well done you for managing to compile a proper zine from scratch.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Baron (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11

We produce our anthologies as coffee table books rather than magazine style and it makes the formatting so much easier because there is not the need to fill space as with mag style.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Ah, but an anthology isn't a zine. I'm not sure book layout would work for regular features and various bits that only fill half a page. It wouldn't look very good to have a lot of half-empty pages in an e-zine, whereas in a book, stories and chapters end where they do and no one thinks twice about leaving even most of a page blank.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:39 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Gah!

If people are really interested in WB, and WB's In Pencil, a little 14 MB won't hurt them.

I mean, this is a writing forum... so even if you can't get it, I'm sure there are still excellent pieces to be read here, anyway!

And if you're so interested in reading In Pencil, that obviously means you're interested in Writer's Beat. And probably go on it quite frequently. Uploads, while not adding too much, do still add up. For instance, my month's uploads to today are 1886 MB. Not too little, considering I'm just viewing pages, here and there... mostly WB.

I'd download it anyway, unless it was bigger than 100MB, in which case is a bit too large.

And Q: 13KB? That would be a dream, that would...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Baron (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11

Is anything happening?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

The new issue should be available for download now in the In Pencil thread:

http://forums.writersbeat.com/showth...992#post134992

Sorry once again for the delay. We hope you think it was worth it.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board