WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohicanís Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 02-18-2014, 07:53 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Military Scientists Create Pizza That Lasts for Three Years:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovati...e-years-n30686
Interesting but not surprising. I once had a Wendy's Frosty disappear prior to parking my car at an airports extended stay lot. This was July. I came back a week later, and upon arriving home, discovered that the frosty had rolled under the seat. It was melted but didn't leak out, and appeared to be unaffected. Just in case, I put it in the freezer and my brother ate it without any side effects. Of course, I never bothered to tell him that it sat in the car for a week, either.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:18 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

That's why I do my best to avoid processed foods. Whatever they put in it to make it last can't be good for you.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

They sell this cheap ice cream in tubs at the local Food Flood. You can set the whole tub out in the backyard and neither bug nor beast will touch it. It dries into a tough rubbery substance that is unaffected by water.

And they're allowed to sell this shit as food?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

They also add a ton of salt and/or sugar so that it's literally addictive -- even worse, considering so much of it has next to no nutritional value -- except what they try to artificially pump back into it.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

The US experiences the 3rd coldest winter on record
And it baffles the mind to know the military disperses reflective particles in the sky to deflect the sun's rays for fear of global warming.

The last snow storm was proof enough for me. I balled some of it up, caressed it with a match flame and low-and-behold it didn't melt. It turned black and sent some smoke curling upward and smelt like burnt plastic.

Some probably made snow cream out of the chemical laced accumulation and fed it to their kids. Unreal.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Originally Posted by Bagit View Post
And it baffles the mind to know the military disperses reflective particles in the sky to deflect the sun's rays for fear of global warming.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Ok, perhaps the source can be prefaced with "This is from Personal Liberty, take it for what it's worth". But it is an interesting bit of conspiracy - High level bankers end up "suiciding" themselves

http://personalliberty.com/2014/02/2...banker-bodies/

Did this writer for The Wall Street Journal "Go Galt", or is it taking three weeks to long to decide between white and wheat bread at the corner market? http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2...a_miracle.html

Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

And the beast begins to devour itself.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Professor Livingston, I presume?

Donald Livingston discusses how the CSA had a moral right to secede.

Spoiler Alert - the Professor's reasons have little or nothing to do with the institution of slavery.

http://nomocracyinpolitics.com/2014/...-w-livingston/

Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 PM
KnightofCydonia (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 12

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Ok, perhaps the source can be prefaced with "This is from Personal Liberty, take it for what it's worth". But it is an interesting bit of conspiracy - High level bankers end up "suiciding" themselves

http://personalliberty.com/2014/02/2...banker-bodies/

Did this writer for The Wall Street Journal "Go Galt", or is it taking three weeks to long to decide between white and wheat bread at the corner market? http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2...a_miracle.html
The Bitcoin thing is also quite interesting... if there is one thing you do not mess with, it's currencies.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:56 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Some observers are surprised that for the first time in 50 years, a majority of US citizens are against Empire and Gun Boat diplomacy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/op...rine.html?_r=0

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...r-hawk/284340/

Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Could be the only good thing to come out of the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
Mohican (03-12-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 04:38 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Zero Hedge - NSA snooping has a very real cost to U.S. businesses.

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed...t-productivity

And the NSA has been intercepting the delivery of Laptops since at least 2007?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...eries/4244181/

So is your web cam really ever turned off?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Today's entry: The BLM versus Cliven Bundy, with a little "Job-like" humor thrown in:

Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

I'll add this to my previous post - takimag takes on the Vanishing American Yokel

http://takimag.com/article/the_vanis...#axzz2yst8tDH5

Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Maybe burning corn based ethanol isn't so "Green", after all.

It is known that a lot of the processes to create corn biofuels result in a net energy loss.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-21-04-02-59

Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Faster than the speed of idiocy:

Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722
Default attention - these are "rough", not exact figures

U.S. subjects, uhm I mean citizens are eight days removed from April Fifteenth, the day that Federal (and most other) income taxes are due.

This is an exercise with numbers that are off the top of my head - close but not exact.

In recent years, the deficit for the Federal Government was approximately 1 trillion a year. Not the debt, but the amount that is more than the government brings in. In numeral format that is 1,000,000,000,000.00.

The budget is roughly 3.7 trillion. Subtract 1 trillion and you have 2.7 trillion dollars of the budget that is "paid for".

1. The United States of America has approx 310 million people. With a budget of 3.7 trillion, I have read that it is larger than the next two or three largest budgets combined. So the United States, a Federal system of supposed limited government spends more than Communist China, who has three or four times the population.

2. Of this 2.7 trillion, roughly 1/3 is generated by income taxes. The rest is "imports, duties and tariffs". So about 900 billion is generated by income tax.

3. The amount of income tax generated could be doubled, and the United States could still run a deficit. So the next time someone spouts the herp a derp that if people were just taxed a teensie bit more, then the budget could be balanced. Even if the world didn't behave according to Laffer, the strain would be incredible on a lot of personal budgets, both large and small.

4. If the United States went back to year 2000 budgeting levels (the last year of Slick Willy's presidency) we could run the government on just "imports, duties, and tariffs".

5. If the budget were set at 1 trillion dollars (1990 spending level) and all current revenues were brought in (2.7 trillion) then the surplus would be 1.7 trillion. If the United States had a 1.7 trillion dollar surplus, it would take 10 years at zero interest to pay back the national debt.

So if you hear politicians talk about fiscal sanity and responsibility, and talk about balancing the budget, they are probably either unaware or full of shit.

Neither dominant political party really wants to make hard cuts. Just holding the line (sequester) was painful for them. Of any of the possibilities they would be most likely to double taxes generated. Does anyone think that a President, 100 Senators and 435 members of the House of Representatives would all be willing to reduce the size and scope of the government by 2/3s?

Of course, Janet BernakeYellen could just continue to stick a band-aid on the situation by printing money to hold down the debt. Hey, if its worked since 2009...

Old 04-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 909

should the 2006 copy come before 1977 one?
the titles would follow each other and make sense.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 909

who is faster? the person who pressed the bullet.
the bullet would not go nowhere otherwise.
the price of idiocy is to write fast and think last.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 04-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
should the 2006 copy come before 1977 one?
the titles would follow each other and make sense.

The issue is that the alarm was sounded for an ice age in 1977. Almost 40 years later, alarmist think we are getting too warm.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
who is faster? the person who pressed the bullet.
the bullet would not go nowhere otherwise.
the price of idiocy is to write fast and think last.

The idiocy is that the graphic shows a cartridge coming out of the barrel of a rifle versus just the bullet.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 909

The issue is that the alarm was sounded for an ice age in 1977. Almost 40 years later, alarmist think we are getting too warm.
ah. but getting too warm means it must go too cold first.
it is a two way soluble. it goes from one extreme to another. one would not happen without the other. the most basic law of quantum physics
we have not had the alarm for that yet. they ought to go back revise their basics. homework is handy.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 04-23-2014 at 09:26 AM..
Old 04-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 909

The idiocy is that the graphic shows a cartridge coming out of the barrel of a rifle versus just the bullet.
a barrel of a rifle? a rifle has a barrel? sorry I am not familiar with rifles.
so you just want a picture of a bullet? I am not following sorry.
I thought the script was idiocy.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 04-23-2014, 10:32 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

I like how the bullet comes out casing and all. Shows how truly clueless these people are.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:53 PM
TheDumbOne (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 115

Originally Posted by JustcallmeEd View Post
I like how the bullet comes out casing and all. Shows how truly clueless these people are.
Especially the ad agency. A concept usually begins there. It reflects, though, on the client's ... mmm... quality.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:53 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 722

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. You no longer need for someone to make a parody based on your actions or statements, because you are now the parody. Good Googly Moogly :

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...errorists-her/

Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 909

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. You no longer need for someone to make a parody based on your actions or statements, because you are now the parody. Good Googly Moogly :

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...errorists-her/
that is not the same lady who got shot right?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 04-29-2014, 02:43 AM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

No.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:04 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost