WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

I'm Here to Help You Get Published

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:46 PM
donnasozio (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default I'm Here to Help You Get Published

Hi All!

I'm Donna Sozio and the reason I'm here
is to help get you published.

I sold my first book in just three weeks -
and I'll show you exactly how I did it.

From time to time I'll post useful articles
I wrote for first-time authors.

Below is the first of many.
And I would love your feedback.

Yours,
Donna

3 Simple Secrets to Create an Instant Bestseller
By: Donna Sozio

Before you even begin writing your book there are three steps you must take if you want your book to hit the literary scene as The Next Big Thing.

The First Step to create an instant bestseller is to ask yourself: Does my book hit a universal nerve? If the answer is yes, you must be able to define exactly what that universal nerve is. Then your book should provide either a solution or at least a temporary escape from the universal nerve you just stepped on. That way you not only identify your book's audience but also demonstrate your connection to them. Which gives your future publisher a very strong reason to buy your book.

Although there is something inherently romantic about obscurity, there must be an element in your book that connects with at least half of humanity for you to create an instant bestseller. Take The Da Vinci Code, for example. This book was about an incredibly obscure sect within the Roman Catholic Church. Yet, the Da Vinci Code sold over 60 million copies.

The Da Vinci Code’s success wasn’t due to its award winning writing. This book became an instant bestseller because it hit a universal nerve. The story appealed to every person on the face of the earth who has ever questioned religion. The author, Dan Brown, would have made a huge mistake if he positioned his book to appeal only to the group about whom he was actually writing. Which is to say the potential audience of your book is much wider than just your subject.

If in doubt, think of it this way. The larger your audience, the larger your book advance. Even if your book is about something obscure, you must position its appeal as universal. Only then will literary agents and publishers recognize it as instant bestseller material.

If your book doesn’t hit a universal nerve, don’t write another sentence until you follow this Second Step to instant bestseller success. Ask yourself this question: Why am I writing my book? The answer will help you discover your audience and assist you in discovering which universal nerve you will hit.

Most people write books for one of two reasons. Either they are processing something in their inner world through the situations and the characters they dream up in the context of their book. Or they are have a burning desire to tell the outside world all the wonderful insights they have gained after successfully processing their inner world.

Both impetuses are equally fabulous and you can create instant bestseller material using either approach. You only need to successfully match the universal nerve you hit to the demographic that it will impact. Once you learn how to do this, you have just learned how to create an instant bestseller!

The Third Step is to boil down all of this information in a succinct and engaging query letter to successfully woo, wow, and entertain a literary agent so they can recognize immediately that your book is an instant bestseller. This is done by distilling your bestselling concept into a slam-dunk-sign-me-now pitch that entertains instead of explains.

For a literary agent to recognize your book as instant bestseller material, your query letter must be a “mini-me” of your book. For example, if you’re writing humor, a literary agent should be laughing after the first line. Or if you wrote a wistful memoir about unrequited love, it’s your job to romance your future literary agent and put them in the mood to read your manuscript.

Creating an instant bestseller can be simple. You only need to know what to do and how to do it. By following the first three steps above, you are well on your way to success. Most writers write without knowing why they are writing. Then they submit without knowing what they are submitting. But not you. The three steps above help get you clear on the potential of your book. Which means the message will be clear to your future literary agent and publisher as well.

***Donna Sozio is the author of Never Trust a Man in Alligator Loafers (Citadel 2007). Using her own instant bestseller secrets, she got a literary agent in three weeks and her book sold in another three weeks. Visit the links in her "signature" to learn how she did it.***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Lin

OK, I'm going to stick my neck out here in this forum, where I have never said anything rotten about ANYBODY's writing...and say this is a crock of shit.

It's a spam scam and this chick should be ashamed.

In other forum I countered her offer with my own book, "Guaranteed Way To Get Into The Pants Of Supermodels In Just Three Weeks"...a $50 value at LEAST...in exhange for people giving me their email address for reasons to be revealed later.

It's kind of insulting to be taken for such chumps, wouldn't you say?
Old 03-17-2008, 12:45 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

I agree totally with Lin.

Wait ... Did hell just freeze over?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

I agree totally with Lin.

Wait ... Did hell just freeze over?
I believe so. Lol. I agree too!

There are no 'simple secrets' to writing a novel. Just hard work and dedication, and even then the book most likely won't be a best seller. And what if what a person is writing doesn't appeal to the masses? Should the writer abandon it just because it doesn't stand a chance of becoming a bestseller?

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:16 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Location: Tinian...a tiny isle in the middle of the farthest reaches of the Pacific
Thanks 0

fact:
citadel publishing/press is next to non-existent... no website found in a google search and only a fleeting reference to possibly being owned by an ohio state website or something, if 'citadel publishing' and major complaints, plus a call to boycott them, if 'citadel press'... http://www.amazon.com/Never-Trust-Ma.../dp/0806528400 [scroll down a bit for several entries on this 's&*t list']

fact:
the 'instant bestseller' this spammer/scammer touts is a paperback way overpriced at $12.95 and currently discounted on amazon at the still way too much for a pb at $10.36... a 'bargain' can be had on ebay at just under 6 bucks...

judging from the cover, i can't imagine who'd have made it a 'bestseller'!

http://www.amazon.com/Never-Trust-Ma.../dp/0806528400

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi
Old 03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Lin

I've seen so many people billing themselves as "best-sellers" lately..with books you can't even find on the internet.

Ms. Guaranteed Blockbuster keeps sending me PM's about how cool she is.
The latest is an alleged endorsement by "horror writer Martin Treanor" who read 25 pages of her book, swooned and said it led him to success.

His website cites a couple of short stories in web-based "magazines" and announces that the "much awaited" novel "The Temptation" will soon be available. Which is is: from lulu.com

We can assume that he learned a lot from her tipsheet to be able to create a query to sell the notoriously picky editors at lulu on this blockbuster project.

Meanwhile an examination of her chicklit "smash hit" (from Citadel, a small imprint of Kensington) ranks 149,561 on amazon.

Even more interesting is this comment in the customer reviews:
All of the other reviews sound exactly the same, about the same length, no specifics, suggestions to buy the book for friends, most reviewers have not reviewed any other books, etc. This is a sign that they have been written by promoters, not real people. Is the book this fake?
Comments on that comment include two others saying they think the other reviews are fraudulent and a chipper response from the irrepresible Ms. Sozio saying that shoes are a valuable tool for women to judge men by and the book is endorsed by "celebrated relationship expert Dr. Pat Allen"

Allen is also described and as a "best selling author", perhaps on the basis of "Getting to I Do", rated at 9,812 on amazon.com or perhaps "Kissing Or No Kissing", which weighs in at #449,053 (Perhaps he read Sozio's book betweenw writing them?) Both are heavily discounted, and "Kissing" is published by Cheval Publishing...the only book in its catalog.

Now. I ask you....
Old 03-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Lin

That's me, maia and starrwriter all lining up against this crap, kids. A constellary alignment seen but once a century. Believe it.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a’ Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Hopefully, members will appreciate that this was moved from Introductions to the Wasteyard for a reason. I have no doubts that Ms Sozio, a "former actress", is to letters what I am to nuclear physics.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Lin

Little she knew what a pit of vipers she's set her elegantly shod foot into this time.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a’ Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

So, the advice is to jump on board a current best-selling trend. What say we all collaborate on a book about discerning women's characters based on their footwear? Or a more general book on intuiting people's personalities on the basis of their introductory forum posts?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Lin

I usually tell much more about women by rifling through their handbags.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Or a more general book on intuiting people's personalities on the basis of their introductory forum posts?
Oh that would be splendid fun.

I declare this thread officially ripped to shreds. Nice work, people.

|
|
|
Old 03-18-2008, 03:42 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Location: Tinian...a tiny isle in the middle of the farthest reaches of the Pacific
Thanks 0

we aim to please!

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi
Old 03-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Lin

She's up to 3 posts on writingforums.com now. The third one was a sample from her (unpublished) "Secrets of Publishing". Ready for this valuable insight for free?

Create a file when writing and toss scraps of writing in it instead of deleting them.

Amazing secret, huh?

Next week: Why not to use WiteOut for correcting documents on your computer screen.
Closed Thread

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice