WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Daniel Harper

Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Marcus_Drake (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Daniel Harper

Daniel Michael Harper. Call me Daniel.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I am Daniel Harper. I am 19 years old, and my world has just been destroyed. One month ago, my father was brutally murdered and the police blamed the wrong man.

I was in college, working on pre-med degree, but with dad gone I dropped out and work a 7 to 4 mechanic job, and evening and weekend job cooking for a western roadhouse restaurant. Mom is taking this hard, and my dropping out of college even harder. Itís the only option we have to pay the bills.

Dadís murder was brutal. It was a quick fight to the death with ritualistic maiming of the body post-mortem. I know. I was called in to identify his remains. Mom tried, but she didnít recognize anything for certain. She still wakes up screaming sometimes.

The research company Dad worked for was VERY helpful to the police. They provided emails and text messages that link dad to having an affair with another scientist at the research facility. How convenient that she is now missing and has a dead-beat druggie ex-boyfriend. The police apprehended him, and so far he is their cut-and-dry suspect.

Iíve studied psychology. Drug-abusing, homeless, unemployed, verbally abusive men do not become organized, ritualistic killers. They lack the control and self-discipline. I donít care what the percentage rate of extra-marital affairs is, Dad would never betray Mom.

I will find the man who murdered my father. When I do, will clear my fatherís name AND the man they have falsely accused.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Icon5 Daniel Harper

I would definitely like to this character to the hot seat. He's at the age where he knows what sounds right, but can stand to be taken around the block a little.

So, he sides with his Dad. He wants vengence.
He seems to ignore his Father's dark side, which seems to exist in time to an adult reader.

I would like the character who can make trouble for Daniel at work.
No despair- it is the Decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to Escriber* For This Useful Post:
Marcus_Drake (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Marcus_Drake (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

[ thank you Escriber, for your VERY helpful post. I can see that no one in my story should believe that Mr Harper the elder DID NOT have an affair. After all, it is far too common. You have also pointed out that I need to focus on Daniel's struggle not to dive into the rage over his father's murder. Anger like that would be a powerful force to contend with.
You have pointed out what is perhaps the most unbelievable part of my story. Harper the elder truly did not have an affair. I did not consider no one believing that part.
Daniel is right and the research company fabricated the affair story to cover up the true details of Mr Harper's death. ]

Last edited by Marcus_Drake; 06-17-2014 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: text font too small to read

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics