WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Unrecognized but unbowed

Old 11-28-2017, 11:29 AM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 41
Default Unrecognized but unbowed

All help and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Only a scant proportion of my stuff has been published.

I have written essays, fiction and poetry. Only my essays have been published.

I have many questions. For now, I will just proffer questions about getting my non fiction essays published. They pertain to politics, social problems, sexuality and other stuff.

In the past, I simply sent essays to various publishers and I was lucky enough to get them published, sometimes with renumeration.

Now I see that one is generally supposed to submit query letters asking the publisher if he would like you to write an essay about a particular topic.

This gives rise to two questions:

1) Many of my essays have already been written. Indeed, I just put together two volumes of 521 pages of my essays. I can't really ask a publisher if he wants to me write an essay about topic A if I have already written it.

2) Ideas cannot get copyright protection. I think the primary value of my essays are what I think are my new ideas, not my literary verve or facility with words. My fear: Someone will take my ideas, write an essay using his language and then steal my ideas. How can I protect myself.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:43 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 183

Do you duplicate your essays as much as you duplicate threads? I know being prolific is an advantage in the publishing world, but you can have too much of a good thing.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:05 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...publishers, still have lots of would be authors offering them their services, but to be quite honest with you readers aren't reading like they once were, moreover this internet here has cut into their market share by offering one direct publishing instead without those set in stone hoops and hurdles that they still require, so you might want offer those publishers something of yourself after you have already made a name for yourself here online first, where if those publisher's then reject your works after that, well then you can go over their heads to their readers directly as many authors are doing, but books as they are are too long for most folks who prefer "short interactive content" instead, that would be posts..." mentioned the goblin adding "...one idea is to do your online work in episodes with cliff hangers, like in a victorian journal, why, because it's hard to steal something if its ending is missing, plus it builds up a readership directly keeping those readers in the lurch as it were, by the way you could always read one of your books as audiobook on youtube there, it's low cost, just one needs to practice the parts where need be, where you could then add a paypal link below it...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-02-2017 at 03:02 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing