WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Word Counter thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:39 PM
fishstic (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Location: I've moved to my imagination it's okay though, they know me here.
Thanks 5
Default Word Counter thread

I found this on another website and thought it was a good idea. It really worked to help me keep my stories going.

This is a word count thread. It is meant to inspire people to write more.
It works the same as the system of Nanowrimo if anyone knows it.

It comes down to the following:
You state your project(s) and you state your word count on them in a reply. Then as your writing progresses, you update your writing profile by adding what more words you have written. You can set limits for yourself that the people who read this thread may or may not send you private messages to incite you to write more when they see that you are writing less than planned.

Hopefully things will be clearer when you read the first reply. As you'll be able to see, I'm not writing on too much right now, so please don't be shy and try to have other people inspire you to go for it.

Note: you can drop out/put all your things on hold at anytime, but please notify other people so that they don't end up putting efforts in inspiring messages if you are busy or aren't writing because of other reasons than lack of pressure.
(this was the first reply)
1-Finished documents:
(you can state some or all, it doesn’t matter)
Short story: Creative writing: 7155 words
Short story: What goes around comes around: 2160 words

2-Unfinished documents:
-Novel?: ‘How!’
genre: scifi
word count: 7492
status: on hold. (reason: very rough draft and more research required)
-Novel?: ‘The drinks had been fine’
genre: non fictive fiction
word count: 4666
status: on hold. Planning to translate and finish it in Dutch, some 1000 words translated.
Short story: ‘Would you?’
Genre: Urban, crime
Word count: 1879
Status: Active (you’re allowed to bug me with messages if it doesn’t go up in word count after the 29th of June (till then I have exams)). Hereby I mean if I don't write a single word for 3 days
Is there already something like this here? Just a thread to post your word count and have people help you keep it going with inspiring things? if so where is it and if not why not start it here?

Meowth: You're right. We do have a lot in common. The same Earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of always looking at what's different, well who knows? ~~ Mewtwo: I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.(My facebook page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice