WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

your least favourite book

Old 09-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883
Icon3 your least favourite book

and why?

you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 09-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Theresajcbs (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Hi, was this really posted a year ago and no response? I'm new and still figuring out the forums.

My least fav was Catcher in the Rye. I don't get how it's a brilliant, famous, amazing classic. To me it read like a spoiled teen with no writing skill.

But that was years ago - so? What was yours?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:11 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 105

I thought Don Quixote was utterly, utterly, boring. I kept thinking "it must get better, surely. Every 'best books in all of history' list has it way up there", but two thirds in it still had a superficial and shallow feel to it, as if there was nothing insightful to extract and it was just a pointless series of slap-stick misadventures. I stopped reading it. It might be the only book I set out to read and never finished. I tried to read it while I was deranged in a mental hospital and doped up on antipsychotic medication though, so maybe it was me.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:36 AM
Lockette (Online)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 36

I have to say the worst book I've ever read was Shark Wars. I can't particularly remember where I got it, but it was about these gangs of sharks controlling the ocean. Never finished it. Never will. Welcome to doorstop world, population you!
Old 09-11-2017, 03:25 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 105

Actually, now that I've thought about it a bit more: I was once locked in a room with nothing but a James Patterson novel about some half human half bird hybrid. Words can't describe how bad it was. Can't remember the name of it now, but trust me when I say you don't want to know.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 346

Hemingway's Across the River and into the Trees.

I knew it was going to bad, but I didn't think it would be THAT bad.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:47 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

There are millions of bad books, but I can answer: what is your least favorite book you thought might be good before reading it.

That would be Pulp by Bukowski. He phoned that shit in.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 346

Totally agree.

That's kinda what I was thinking about the Hemingway book. I thought even a bad Hemingway book might at least be worth reading.

I was wrong.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Jinjonator (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 45
Send a message via MSN to Jinjonator

Not sure if it's the worst I've read or not, but American Pastoral comes to mind first. I'd heard only great things about it, and it's apparently even considered a "Great American Novel", but it was just absolute trash. Boring stupid plot, boring stupid characters (including cringe-inducing strawman characters), basically just spins its wheels forever before going nowhere. Also spent an obscene amount of pages talking about the process of making gloves, more than once, for no apparent reason. The entire book was just an absolute slog to get through. (And it's the most grating, boring kind of "first-world, upper-middle-class white male problems" story, like yeah wow boo hoo it must be so hard being so rich and successful, and having to deal with unrealistic strawman characters who are supposed to embody those mean leftists you don't like) (Like there was one character, I don't remember her name, but she tried to seduce the guy in one scene, and like I cannot get over what a ridiculous and unbelievable and unrealistic and over-the-top character she was, like it was so cringe-inducing) (It basically just felt like Atlas Shrugged, but with a more Literary slant, but also instead of making a bunch of long-winded philosophical monologues, the character just calls everybody stupid a lot)
Old 09-21-2017, 02:54 AM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 43

Lord of the Rings is one of my least favourites. I tried to read it after getting it as a present, but I could never get into it. Guess epic fantasy isn't really my cup of tea.
Myers (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 346

Originally Posted by Leila View Post
Lord of the Rings is one of my least favourites. I tried to read it after getting it as a present, but I could never get into it. Guess epic fantasy isn't really my cup of tea.
A woman after my own heart.

I tried too, I really did...
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Leila (09-21-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 21

Not a book, but an author; Oscar Wilde. He is a pompous twat. Everything he says or writes is pure pomposity.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:32 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
Not a book, but an author; Oscar Wilde. He is a pompous twat. Everything he says or writes is pure pomposity.

Yes, but, but, but... he is a comedian. Okay, he's sending everything through that prism of wealth and high society, but he's also making fun of it generously. He's like a funny F. Scott Fitzgerald. Or like an late 1800's version of Stephen Colbert from the Colbert Report, in character. Some of his dialogue is unparalleled. That space and swirl whipping the conversations, the unpredictability, or the comedic predictability.

Aside from the Dorian Gray thing his work is really good. Okay, it's dated, but not that much if you realize where he's coming from. Universal themes and all...
Old 09-22-2017, 08:22 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 21

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yes, but, but, but... he is a comedian. Okay, he's sending everything through that prism of wealth and high society, but he's also making fun of it generously. He's like a funny F. Scott Fitzgerald. Or like an late 1800's version of Stephen Colbert from the Colbert Report, in character. Some of his dialogue is unparalleled. That space and swirl whipping the conversations, the unpredictability, or the comedic predictability.

Aside from the Dorian Gray thing his work is really good. Okay, it's dated, but not that much if you realize where he's coming from. Universal themes and all...
I think "pompous twat" sufficed.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
I think "pompous twat" sufficed.

Ha ha. Okay. To each, his own pompous twat.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library