WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

What Are You Reading?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
copenhagen_dipz (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 27

I am reading for whom the bell tolls at the moment. I am kind of on a Hemingway kick lately. Man could that guy describe things with beauty.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Nadja

Originally Posted by copenhagen_dipz View Post
I am reading for whom the bell tolls at the moment. I am kind of on a Hemingway kick lately. Man could that guy describe things with beauty.
I'm reading exactly the same right now! I agree with what you say. What a deceptively simple style.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:29 PM
PopRocks (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 8
Send a message via MSN to PopRocks

I'm reading Huckleberry Finn again, for English. Still a good book though
Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz

His prose style is at its best here!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Oooh! I could really go for some Dean Koontz right now! I haven't read one of his books in such a long time!

Cancer mom blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Writer blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Nadja

Originally Posted by Winterbite View Post
Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz

His prose style is at its best here!
When his style is good it's very good, but he's frequently guilty of over-writing I think. But then I've only read three of his novels, and certainly nothing from recent years.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:13 AM
hoverfrog (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 35

I am reading "The Case of the Pope" by Geoffrey Robertson QC. Immediately prior to that I read Tom Clancy's "Net Force". The former is very interesting and more than a little horrifying. Net Force was a typical schlock thriller that my daughter gave me after she caught me reading Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy. Thriller's aren't usually my preferred choice but "a change is as good as a rest" or so I'm told.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

Originally Posted by Ollzie View Post
Animal Farm was really good.
And, if you have read a bit/know a bit about the Russian Revolution at the beginning of the 1900s it's fun to make comparisons.

I am reading Great Gatsby.
Yeah, I studied the Russian Revolution in History last year. For my essay I got a level 8. Highest you can get. My target at the start of the year was level 5. Got level 8 in everything including my tests.
And I read the Great Gatsby for English. I thought it was ok, but the beginning dragged on a bit for me. We had to write a piece of coursework on it - basically of the dances he held. But yeah, are you enjoying it?
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Nadja

I had to read The Great Gatsby for school (decades ago) and never liked it. I still don't. I don't much like other stuff I've read of Fitzgerald's either. Guess I just don't 'get' his style.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 AM
Peigi (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 21

I am reading something completely different from classic English/American authors =P
"Verbatim Verbatim", a collection of essays and interviews on contemporary documentary theatre ^^ It's a very easy but enjoyable read ^^ That usually happens when it's not obligatory =P

Old 01-17-2011, 06:12 AM
Bree Bree3195 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 2
Send a message via MSN to Bree Bree3195

I'm now about to read 'A Great And Terrible Beauty' By Libba Bray. It looks quite interesting.

Last edited by Bree Bree3195; 01-17-2011 at 06:15 AM..
Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 AM
A.r.p. (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 67

"The Rape of the Lock" by Alexander Pope

and

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Nadja

Originally Posted by A.r.p. View Post
"The Rape of the Lock" by Alexander Pope

and

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
Good choices both.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM
A.r.p. (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 67

They're for school, which is good. I'm getting way more out of them in-class than I ever would've on my own. I don't analyze what I read all that often. Usually just enjoy the story, language, characters.

Did you LOL reading TRoTL? It took me a few read-throughs, then I got it (with a little help).
Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

Shadowfever. Last book of the Fever Series. Was just released an hour ago.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Nadja

Originally Posted by A.r.p. View Post
They're for school, which is good. I'm getting way more out of them in-class than I ever would've on my own. I don't analyze what I read all that often. Usually just enjoy the story, language, characters.

Did you LOL reading TRoTL? It took me a few read-throughs, then I got it (with a little help).
I did actually! It's a wonderful poem. They really did irony so well in the eighteenth century. It's not malicious irony either.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

My favourite poem is 'What Were They Like' by Denise Levertov.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
Old 01-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Jinjonator (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 45
Send a message via MSN to Jinjonator

Just started on The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. I wonder what sorts of wacky misadventures will ensue...
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 PM
hoverfrog (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 35

Originally Posted by Jinjonator View Post
Just started on The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. I wonder what sorts of wacky misadventures will ensue...
It starts slow but closes a few things off from the first and second books.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Yay! My favourite book is being made into a film.
You know you want to -
Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Steerpike (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 2

Currently reading:

Triumff, by Dan Abnett. So far, a very funny fantasy in the vein of Pratchett / Adams.

Midnight Tides, by Steven Eikson. Malazan books are all good so far.

The Windup Girl, by Paulo Bacigalupi. Just started it, but I like it so far.

Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov. Re-reading it. Great book.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Redlorry

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller.

The forward says love it or hate there is no in between. Twenty pages in, on the bus to work, I burst out laughing and receive a few funny looks. It's then I realise the book cover features a tastefully naked lady, lol I think I am going to love it!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Re-reading The Book Thief and Private Peaceful.
I've met Michael Morpurgo, you know!
You know you want to -
Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Merlin (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 3

A Pre-Release Copy of Savage Scars by Andy Hoare. After that it'll be Hammer of the Emperor, by various authors focusing on the Imperial Guard.

Yes, I am a Black Library fan. And a black library reviewer, come to that.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 AM
MickTheebs (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 65

Just finished The Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Old 01-22-2011, 08:53 AM
hoverfrog (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 35

Why does e=mc^2? by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

I now know that I know less than I thought I knew. The book is worth being reminded of that alone but it offers so much more for a geek like me.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Steerpike (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
A Pre-Release Copy of Savage Scars by Andy Hoare. After that it'll be Hammer of the Emperor, by various authors focusing on the Imperial Guard.

Yes, I am a Black Library fan. And a black library reviewer, come to that.
Hey Merlin...what is a good WH40K novel to read? I've read some of the Warhammer fantasy stuff (Gotrek and Felix, by both King and Long; The Vampire Genevieve; The Blackhearts). Also something by Graham McNeill that I thought was a bit too flippant and never finished.

I never really picked up any of the 40K stuff because I'm always leery of gaming-related novels because some D&D novels I've read have been so bad.

I finally picked up Double Eagle by Dan Abnett and thought it was very good. Now I am looking for more. I have been looking at Prospero Burns, because I like the Space Wolves and because I've already read Abnett. But I haven't read any of the other Horus Heresy novels.

Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Nadja

Reading 'How to Lie with Statistics', by Darrell Huff. Witty, wise and wonderful.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Merlin (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Hey Merlin...what is a good WH40K novel to read? I've read some of the Warhammer fantasy stuff (Gotrek and Felix, by both King and Long; The Vampire Genevieve; The Blackhearts). Also something by Graham McNeill that I thought was a bit too flippant and never finished.

I never really picked up any of the 40K stuff because I'm always leery of gaming-related novels because some D&D novels I've read have been so bad.

I finally picked up Double Eagle by Dan Abnett and thought it was very good. Now I am looking for more. I have been looking at Prospero Burns, because I like the Space Wolves and because I've already read Abnett. But I haven't read any of the other Horus Heresy novels.

Thoughts?
Well, if you haven't picked up Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett, which currently include three omnibuses and one single book, (The Founding, The Saint, The Lost and Blood Pact), I reccomend them as they are many BL readers favourite series. You can check Black Library's website for more information.

However, if you want to read Prospero Burns, I reccommend you read the Horus Heresy series in order first so you know roughly what's happened. If you don't want to however, A Thousand Sons is a duology with Prospero Burns, and written by Graham McNiell, so I reccomend you read that as well, as they both show different viewpoints on the Burning of Prospero.

If you're looking for some Chaos Space Marine stuff, there's an excellent Night Lords novel by Aaron Dembski-Bowden called Soul Hunter, and there are also the currently out of print (but they will be republished as an Omnibus in 2012) Word Bearers Novels by Anthony Reynolds.

If you don't know where to start with Space Marines, The Space Marine Battles series written by various authors and focusing on well, famous Space Marine Battles, is a good starting point unless you don't want to read that many all-fighting novels.

I've only just scratched the surface however. If you want to find out more, I reccomend you head over to http://www.blacklibrary.com/ (Or, if the link doesn't work, hit Black Library into Google (Or other prefered search engine)).

That's also got extracts of most books currently in print, including audiobooks as well.

Hope I helped,

Merlin Out
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM
SeeTheMonkey (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 169

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

Just read the Dance Macabre chapter and in one glorious chapter the book has justified its asking price several times over. Magical, uplifting and with a hint of darkness, it was Gaiman at his best.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library