WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.


do opposites attract?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 9,884
Thanks: 2,418
Thanks 897
Icon3 do opposites attract?


I have been thinking about this for a while.
I mean literally where actual words/saying are concerned and hypothetically.

are people compatible because they are different from each other for example?

literally
in the world of literature
do saying/quote work when flipped around?

__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2018, 01:39 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 247
Thanks: 42
Thanks 67
Default

I was visiting with a friend of mine one day when his wife came home with a bag of groceries. She went to put a box of graham crackers away and that's when all hell broke loose. Apparently, they had a very specific place they kept cookies and a very specific place they kept crackers.

---And what you need to understand is that a graham cracker is not really a cracker; it's a cookie.

---of course it's a fucking cracker; it says so right there on the box.

---but it's a misnomer, in the same way a Brazil nut's not really a nut

---are you fucking kidding me? Of course, it's a nut!

This went on for 5 minutes before I quietly got up and let myself out. I was informed a few days later, as if it were any of my business, that a compromise had been reached. The cookies and crackers were placed on opposite ends of the same shelf, with the graham crackers occupying the Switzerland territory in the middle of the shelf. However, it was noted that the graham crackers didn't really belong in the true center of the shelf but should have been placed two-thirds of the way to the left (where the cookies were).

These were two people who were too much alike. You can only hold one side of the argument when you're a little over-invested in your cookie nomenclature. Any normal person would've said "hey, it's whatever you say it is". They eventually got divorced.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spshane For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (06-23-2018), Nacia (06-22-2018)
  #3  
Old 06-22-2018, 04:43 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,861
Thanks: 402
Thanks 1,056
Default

My wife and I are total opposites.

She is clean and organized, while Iím often dirty and completely disorganized.

Politically, she is fairly conservative, while I am fairly liberal.

She is a Catholic. I am an atheist. We couldnít get married in the church so we eloped to a JOP wedding. It was a compromise she made when I couldnít get through the whole Catholic conversion thing.

Something I canít put my finger on is so attractive about her still. Weíve been married for almost 26 years. Sometimes I think, In the beginning, it was the having of what you canít have thing going on. The forbidden fruit.

Over the years we have accepted each otherís differences and come to see them as strengths we individually donít have.

She holds me to a standard, and I show her ways to have fun just within the standardsí borderósometimes I fudge the line.

Without her I would go off the rails, and without me she would live a prescribed life that narrowed to banality and boredom.

So in our cases, opposites attracted. Together we make one great person.

I really think thereís something to that yin-yang thing.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-23-2018)
  #4  
Old 06-23-2018, 02:30 AM
anna (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 130
Thanks: 55
Thanks 88
Default

I think about your threads Narcia - I like them and Iím busy wondering a response - then you start another ponder and I begin all over again
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anna For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-23-2018)
  #5  
Old 06-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 9,884
Thanks: 2,418
Thanks 897
Default

Originally Posted by anna View Post
I think about your threads Nacia - I like them and Iím busy wondering a response - then you start another ponder and I begin all over again
LOL sorry about this.
take all your time no rush whatsoever
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 9,884
Thanks: 2,418
Thanks 897
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
My wife and I are total opposites.

She is clean and organized, while I’m often dirty and completely disorganized.

Politically, she is fairly conservative, while I am fairly liberal.

She is a Catholic. I am an atheist. We couldn’t get married in the church so we eloped to a JOP wedding. It was a compromise she made when I couldn’t get through the whole Catholic conversion thing.

Something I can’t put my finger on is so attractive about her still. We’ve been married for almost 26 years. Sometimes I think, In the beginning, it was the having of what you can’t have thing going on. The forbidden fruit.

Over the years we have accepted each other’s differences and come to see them as strengths we individually don’t have.

She holds me to a standard, and I show her ways to have fun just within the standards’ border—sometimes I fudge the line.

Without her I would go off the rails, and without me she would live a prescribed life that narrowed to banality and boredom.

So in our cases, opposites attracted. Together we make one great person.

I really think there’s something to that yin-yang thing.
what is a JOP wedding?
I must admit this is impressive.
The two of you are very lucky because the world is not supposed to work like that with everything that is going on.
I believe or someone had said that there more divorces then marriages?!

oh and before I forget what is ''going off the rail'' for you?
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-23-2018, 10:49 AM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 247
Thanks: 42
Thanks 67
Default

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
what is a JOP wedding?
I must admit this is impressive.
The two of you are very lucky because the world is not supposed to work like that with everything that is going on.
I believe or someone had said that there more divorces then marriages?!

oh and before I forget what is ''going off the rail'' for you?

In the United States, Justice of the Peace (JOP) is where you're married by a judge. So, it's a civil proceeding and is not affiliated with a church. Most countries have some form of JOP, but it's likely called something else. Courthouse wedding, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Nacia's Avatar
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London, England.
Posts: 9,884
Thanks: 2,418
Thanks 897
Default

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
I was visiting with a friend of mine one day when his wife came home with a bag of groceries. She went to put a box of graham crackers away and that's when all hell broke loose. Apparently, they had a very specific place they kept cookies and a very specific place they kept crackers.

---And what you need to understand is that a graham cracker is not really a cracker; it's a cookie.

---of course it's a fucking cracker; it says so right there on the box.

---but it's a misnomer, in the same way a Brazil nut's not really a nut

---are you fucking kidding me? Of course, it's a nut!

This went on for 5 minutes before I quietly got up and let myself out. I was informed a few days later, as if it were any of my business, that a compromise had been reached. The cookies and crackers were placed on opposite ends of the same shelf, with the graham crackers occupying the Switzerland territory in the middle of the shelf. However, it was noted that the graham crackers didn't really belong in the true center of the shelf but should have been placed two-thirds of the way to the left (where the cookies were).

These were two people who were too much alike. You can only hold one side of the argument when you're a little over-invested in your cookie nomenclature. Any normal person would've said "hey, it's whatever you say it is". They eventually got divorced.
wow a row over crackers.
It must have been embarrassing for you to endure all this while they went arguing over nothing.
what makes you think they were alike?
__________________
a lesson in
life is a pound
in sound
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 AM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,861
Thanks: 402
Thanks 1,056
Default

By going off the rails I mean experimenting to excess. I have always been willing to use my body and mind in experiments to see just how far they can be pushed. Sometimes I can go too far for my own good, or the good of my family, etc. my wife provides a stability and insight with which to determine how much is too much.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (06-23-2018)
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple of opposites JustcallmeEd Poetry 2 05-19-2013 05:57 AM
Spring Contest (Poetry) Ė Static Change Tau Previous Contests 12 04-21-2010 08:38 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:32 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.