WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets

Writing Markets Calls for submissions, paying and non-paying markets.

Million Pound Story

Old 03-21-2006, 08:00 AM
anubisonyx (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Million Pound Story

The Million Pound Story is an online collaborative writing project which is open to the entire online writing community. The concept is very simple - we are offering contributors the opportunity to take part in a unique writing project which, if successful, will be turned into an interactive DVD and possibly iTunes download-able film. The characters, plot, theme, setting will all be put to the online community we hope to attract and you will decide how the project should develop.

We are looking to develop the story over the next 12-18 months after which we hope to turn into an interactive DVD film. All that who part in the writing of the online story will be eligible to receive a share of 50% of the profits generated by the sale of the final product. We feel that this is fair as you the online community will have helped create the product.

Million Pound Story will be financed by the sale of ad space on the site as well as though donations / sponsorship. What we need you to do is come take part. The site is completely free to view, you can sign up for our free monthly newsletter or sign up to our forum it's your choice.

The most important aspect at this point in time is the Latest Polls page. Our current vote is to decide what Genre the online story will take, so take the opportunity to cast your vote at:

http://www.millionpoundstory.com/latest_polls.shtml

The more of you that vote the more interesting and representative the final choice of genre will be, after all this your chance to help shape the story and ultimately the entire project. One last thing do let us know what you think, the more feed back we get the better. I hope you find this an intriguing concept and are inspired to join in.

http://www.millionpoundstory.com

Thank You

Johnathan

Old 03-22-2006, 12:16 PM
anubisonyx (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Hello

Last week was pretty busy . We noticed in the early part of last week an error in the poling system. Oh well an unfortunate server problem put our scripts up side down. So what was the problem? Well we did have quite few people subscribing for the newsletter and voting at same time but if the subscription was recorded, the voting system did not record anything. However we manage in the end to sort out the problem and now everything is working well. You still have a bit of time to choose the genre, I have to remind you that on the 10th of April the voting for the genre is going to be close, so cast you vote now!

http://www.millionpoundstory.com/latest_polls.shtml
Old 03-22-2006, 12:17 PM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 170
Send a message via AIM to DFischer

If you link to us on the first page I'll setup a refer to you to get more attention.

Personal site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please critique other's work before asking to get critique on your own.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:30 AM
Panthere Noir (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0

Hm, I can see the benefits of the project for it's creators, but what would be the benefits for the writers participating?

That is, aside from a future option on something that might or might not work out. And how would you be allocating and distributing those 50% of profits anyhow?

Personally, I'd like to see A LOT more detailed information about this project before I'd give it prominent public support, Daniel.

Last edited by Panthere Noir; 03-23-2006 at 02:33 AM..
Old 03-23-2006, 01:41 PM
anubisonyx (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Thanks for that Daniel. I would be more than happy to put a link on our home page, polling page and our links page as well as give you a mention in the news section. If you have a graphic W160 x H40 in gif or jpeg format I will place that on the site. If you don't we can put something together for you. My email is johnathan.joy@greeneyedv.co.uk if you want to let me know your thoughts.

Right now Panthere Noir all good points. I'll try to explain where we are coming from with this project and why we are doing it.

We embarked on this project because of the fact we have quite a few projects we would like to bring from the deep recesses of our minds into the real world. Now having ideas is great but with out money to bring them to fruition is difficult. We set-up green eye dv for the want to do something creative. For me the motivation came out of the fact I had been working on a number short 3D animated films on and off in my spare time between work. green eye was set-up to develop creative projects to be distributed though DVD and now internet streaming (iTunes) and make dreams and our visions happen.

For the past 15 months we had been spending most of our time creating updating and constantly tweaking business & marketing plans etc. We decided that faced with another possible 6 to 8 months of jumping though hoops to gain backing it was about time to take matters into our own hands and do something for our selves. That where Million Pound Story comes in. Its aim is simple form our point of view let see what is possible. Lets see if we can generate the idea the vision the concept in an online environment. We know its entirely feasible to raise funds, market awareness though online means both of the aforementioned are crucial for any project.

Now to answer you point about what the write gets out of it. As this is a project we hope to develop as a DVD and internet streamed/downlaodable product (iTunes) we are and will be continually plugging the concept to any one who will listen in the creative world and general media after all the more people who know about the project now are potential customers to buy the final product. We are at the moment in early talks with a PR agent in Los Angles who has contacts in Hollywood. My point here is at the very least the writer is getting exposure, every one who contributes to the project will have there details and links in their own section on the site for all to see. I also see that from a creative point of view it would be interesting for a writer to see what other writers mind sets are on the story. The story develops by the submission and vote system so at each point everyone has read the story up-to that point and I am sure will have a different ideas on where things should go. This in away allows other writers to get into each others heads and hopefully will spark debate and may be other creative thoughts and project among them.

As we are looking to develop this as a commercial project, its only fair from our point of view that all who's work constitutes the final online story share in any financial gains made by it. What we are saying is and we wanted to keep things as simple as possible is that 50% of the profits made by the final product should be shared among the contributing writers. This would work be worked out on the number of successful contributions made by each writer to the project. Realistically I would expect to have between 30 and 40 core contributors to the project so the chances of contributing to the story more than once would be quite high, also remembering that not every one will post at every submission opportunity.

I hope that that sheds some more light on what and why we are doing this. Please feel free to email me at johnathan.joy@greeneyedv.co.uk if you want more info or to speak to me though Skype, Yahoo or MSN. I would be more than happy to answer any questions that way or though this forum on Writers Beat.

You can find lots of information about the project on the site:

http://www.millionpoundstory.com

Last edited by anubisonyx; 03-23-2006 at 02:13 PM..
Old 03-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

Originally Posted by Panthere Noir
Hm, I can see the benefits of the project for it's creators, but what would be the benefits for the writers participating?

That is, aside from a future option on something that might or might not work out. And how would you be allocating and distributing those 50% of profits anyhow?

Personally, I'd like to see A LOT more detailed information about this project before I'd give it prominent public support, Daniel.
Panthere Noir, I agree with what you said. And if you look carefully, the key words are "upto 50%". Yes that typo needs to be corrected on their site. The site looks very prelaunch, as I am a webdesigner myself. What are the marketing venues? Who are the editors? Have you done a test run? I know these questions may seem harsh, but these are just a few that I personally went through in business dealings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:11 PM
anubisonyx (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Jay Harrison
Panthere Noir, I agree with what you said. And if you look carefully, the key words are "upto 50%". Yes that typo needs to be corrected on their site. The site looks very prelaunch, as I am a webdesigner myself. What are the marketing venues? Who are the editors? Have you done a test run? I know these questions may seem harsh, but these are just a few that I personally went through in business dealings.
Well Jay I must say your comments are completely baffling! I will go though them one be one.
The writers cut of this project is 50% always has been always will be. I have to say where do you get pre-launch from?
The site develops over time. If we had all the ads and story in place we would not be doing Million Pound Story. The site has been designed to be flexible and scalable, see the following:

To handle a large amount of text.
To handle CGI/Perl scripts
To be upgradable to run PHP and mySQL databases in the future.

Now have we done a test run? what do you mean by that? I really do not see any way of doing a test run for this kind of project, it about at the end of the day good project management, after all we are out here trying to inspire people to come together to create this story which we then turn into a product which is real and tangible.

In response to both your self and Panthere Noir and any one else who wishes my email is johnathan.joy@greeneyedv.co.uk and my skype id is anubisonyx if you email me I would be more then happy to answer you questions in a voice chat or instant message. There you go I lay down the challenge for you Jay, Panthere Noir :-)

Please do not take this the wrong way but I just can not let it go was the comment abut the site looking pre -launch. I looked in you profile and found your site http://thenewhopeteam.com and really compare it to http://www.millionpoundstory.com and I could level the same criticism at you. I hope you don't take that the wrong way but I have designed sites from 1998 and worked in online marketing and SEO environments so I do know a thing or too.

Oh one last thing you need to look at your site in Firefox, Netscape, (Mac and PC) and Safari on the Mac your home page and the Application page have problems with the navigation (remember Explorer is not the whole world when it comes to browsers! ;-))

I hope you take this for what it is a response to your post and nothing else but Million Pound Story is something we are very serious about and will defend to the hilt.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:16 PM
solecistic (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

If it makes you feel any better anubis, I really think your idea is very cool and I'd love to get involved.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:10 AM
anubisonyx (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Thanks solecistic :-) good to have a post I don't have to write a full page reply to lol.
Just for the record Jay has emailed my and we are all cool here :-)
Old 03-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

Thanks anubisonyx. I am looking forward to possibly contributing to the Million Pund Story. I will look at the guidelines, and see what I need to do, it looks intersting.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:32 AM
anubisonyx (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

The Genre Vote

The voting for Phase 1 has now finished with Fantasy being chosen for the Genre of the online story. Thank you to all who took part in this our opening vote in the project. To see the results of the genre vote visit http://www.millionpoundstory.com/last_polls.shtml The next stage of the project now begins with a call for submissions for the loose story outline.

The Loose Story Outline phase gives every one the chance to create a loose framework for the main story. This is meant to be a guide and not 100% ridged framework but is there to facilitate some structure to what could be a rather unstructured process and offer contributing writers a starting point to the story.

The Outline will define the Timeframe, basic information on the Characters, World & Environment and a loose definition of what the story is about. This phase of the project is open for submissions and will be put to a popular vote to decide which submission will be chosen to be the story outline.

A point to remember is that although the genre has been chosen, Fantasy in this case the story is not yet written and can contain many other elements like for example comedy, suspense, action, mystery etc. The story outline is not something that should be seen as limiting the story, rather more of a rough map of what might be with some starting points in there as inspiration.

To find out more information on the this next phase of the project visit: http://www.millionpoundstory.com/the_story.html

To make a submission for this next part of the project you can email your story outline to: story@millionpoundstory.com

I hope that you take the opportunity to submit a loose story outline to the project and really get things moving into this next phase. Your submissions can be as long or as short as you wish and also remember to include some details about your self and what you have done, web links, email etc. It is up to you what you want to be published on the site but all who contribute will have a page linking from the writers page on our site http://www.millionpoundstory.com/writers.html Fee free to use this to promote your other works and projects.

Forums

As we move into this next phase of the project we will be making more use of the site forum to discuss the submissions and the direction that the project is taking. We hope you take the opportunity to open a topic here and post some of your thoughts as well.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:28 AM
anubisonyx (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Phase 2 of the Million Pound Story is now under way with the first Loose Story Outline submissions being posted. This is where things start to get interesting with the first steps in the story development taking place.

The submission phase is open to anyone who wishes to contribute to the project. If you wish to submit a story outline you can do so be email us on the address below:

story@millionpoundstory.com

Take a look at the post so far and see the contributors details that have been posted on the site as well.

http://www.millionpoundstory.com/story_outlines.html

http://www.millionpoundstory.com/writers.html
Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 AM
anubisonyx (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

The Million Pound Story project is still alive and kicking and we have now started to receive submissions for the story outline. You can fine these by going to the following link http://www.millionpoundstory.com/story_outlines.html

As of this moment we have four submissions on the site and the beginning of a discussion in the Forum http://www.millionpoundstory.com/forum.html about the current submissions. We are keeping this part of the project open for a longer period of time to allow more posts to create a larger pallet of ideas for the main story. Remember any contribution is relevant as what we are trying to do at this point is generate ideas which everyone can then feed off.

To submit a Story Outline email story@millionpoundstory.com
Old 06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

Thanks Johnathan for putting a Writer's Beat graphic on your home page.

WritersBeat.com > The Billboard > Writing Markets