WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

What should count as a sport?

Old 03-22-2016, 03:54 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590
Default What should count as a sport?

Chess has been a recognised olympic sport for some years now, but there's also an activist community of people who play competitive video games, and they call these games "esports".

I'm ambivalent about this. Is video gaming really a sport? On one level, I'm pleased to see sports that shouldn't need separate women's leagues. (Or should they?) On another level I feel there's something essentially athletic about a sport, and classifying any activity that can be done by a person who's too fat to leave their sofa as a "sport" does some fundamental violence to the language.

Am I being an intolerant old sod here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Non Serviam For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (08-08-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Some American sports networks also carry Poker games. Unless you are actually kitting out and acting out, aka Harry Potter's Wizards Chess its a game and not a sport. If you can drink beer and eat Cheetos while playing for an extended period its a game and not a sport, so chess and video games are games.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

Not really, Non, but let's look at some aspects of e-sport.

A quick trigger finger is essential, as is speedy reflex. Imagine the hand cramps after a long tournament button smashing.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:05 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 126

I think there is a difference between a game,which is essentially sedentary, and a sport which requires a degree of fitness and athleticism.

I don't know if the Americans here have darts as a TV 'sport' but it makes me laugh when fat sweaty beer-swilling darts players refer to themselves as athletes.

This man is not an athlete. This is just a fat man who can throw small, light things in a straight line, without a run-up.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:33 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

He's not built to run a marathon or do the long jump, that's for sure.

But throwing darts still requires practice, skill and balance. Perhaps he was a gymnast turned dart champ.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

Where do you stand on golf, Wyf? Sport or game?
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

I know you didn't ask me in particular, but golf is a sport. Not exciting to me.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

What about bass tournaments? A sport in my book.

You must cast with precision (skill), brave the elements and exude confidence throughout the competition. Not to mention be smooth with a variety of lures and rod actions.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:48 PM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 126

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
Where do you stand on golf, Wyf? Sport or game?
It is considered a sport, but I stick to Wilde's definition; a good walk spoiled.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:49 PM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 126

And how is your rod action, Bagit?

You can do fishing sitting down. No athleticism required. Can be done by fat people. Not a sport.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

Sumo wrestling? Fat people can do that.

Cycling and rowing can be done sitting down...

Ow! Ouch! Stop hitting me! Okay, I'll shut up and stop picking nits.
;

Old 03-24-2016, 04:17 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 126

Old 03-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

Originally Posted by wyf View Post
And how is your rod action, Bagit?

You can do fishing sitting down. No athleticism required. Can be done by fat people. Not a sport.
Not as springy as it was in my mid-thirties. But, I assure you, I've no problem finding the right buttons by any means necessary!

Most of the time I stand on the deck. Yes, it may not seem athletic. The core of sport is there though, I believe.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:51 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 126

I should stop picking on fat guys. Sorry, fat guys. You're cool people, and there's more of you to love. Just keep off the trampoline, ok?

I'm not sporty. My favourite activities are chairobics and horizontal jogging
Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 513

That horizontal jogging sounds interesting...how chess got into the Olympics beats me, but throwing darts is no more a sport than beer-pong.

And if video games are a sport, what else is? Closing your eyes and watching phosphenes? Granted, video games take skill, but so do tiddly-winks and drafting.

Fishing, regardless of what anyone trying to justify a weekend of splashing through creeks or hanging out in a boat will tell you, is not a sport. Fishing for fun is called 'sport fishing' just to differentiate it from commercial fishing, which is done for money and so, theoretically, not fun.

However, most 'sport' fishermen I know will sell that fish in a heartbeat, and most commercial fishermen I know seem to have a lot of fun, so who knows where the truth lies?

Back to that horizontal jogging...
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 04-22-2016, 05:10 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 126

naughty man!

Horizontal jogging is what's kept me relatively slim over the years, you don't need any equipment, or special sneakers, or a designated space, and everybody wins!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 513

And you get to run barefoot!
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 08-08-2016, 06:12 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 385

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
Chess has been a recognised olympic sport for some years now, but there's also an activist community of people who play competitive video games, and they call these games "esports".

I'm ambivalent about this. Is video gaming really a sport? On one level, I'm pleased to see sports that shouldn't need separate women's leagues. (Or should they?) On another level I feel there's something essentially athletic about a sport, and classifying any activity that can be done by a person who's too fat to leave their sofa as a "sport" does some fundamental violence to the language.

Here are some vibes;

1) level playing field (different leagues depending on different levels)
2) rules (that are fairly enforced)
3) competition for 4)
4) an unambiguous goal

Given this, here are some examples of sports that are not sports due to, for example, the non-competitive nature of the "competition"

Formula One - Mercedes doesn't have any competition and any current formula one driver who drives the Mercedes car (with no other driver driving a Mercedes car) will (barring an accident or break-down) win the race
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-08-2016, 10:34 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 187

There are some truly bizarre sports.
Britain has just invented a new one: Oust Corbyn. Forget the Olympics, this is a far more entertaining crowd pleaser. And with enormous lucrative potential, evidently.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:43 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 385

I was watching The Olympics the other day, more specifically I was watching The Equestrian. While watching I was hard pressed to find either a black competitor or audience member. What is the G-O there? Genetics?
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-18-2016, 04:29 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Some of the horses are black.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:19 AM
NuNu (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 62

Can we consider BattleBots a sport?

It's action packed competition.

I would like to see it played on an international level in the olympic games.

The last hit in this match is Gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q7nZlcOlkg
Old 08-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,382

Successfully fleeing a war torn country is a viable total immersion competition.

Becoming ensconced, legally, in a safe place with gainful employment would be comparable to getting a medal.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 513

I would think that no medal could compete with the glow of victory at achieving such an objective, Nick.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,382

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
I would think that no medal could compete with the glow of victory at achieving such an objective, Nick.
I agree.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:02 PM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

I loved tournament bass fishing in Eastern Oklahoma, caught a 9.2 at Broken Bow lake.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table