WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Alistair Wright

Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
fireasus (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Default Alistair Wright

My name is Alistair Wright.

If appearance matters, I have red hair and green eyes. I wear glasses, but I hate wearing them. Unfortunately, I hate contacts even worse, so glasses it is.

I live in Queens, New York, NY. I live there with my sisters and parents. When I was younger, I lived in Detroit, Michigan. It's where I was born, along with my two sisters.

Both of my sisters are younger. One of my sisters, Keelyn, is 15, and my other sister, Kierra, is 11. Kierra started middle school this year, and Keelyn started high school. I graduated from high school last year, which may be kind of a joke because my high school is classified as a "Junior College". Even though I've been assured by many people that college will be an easy transition, I still took a gap year.

The reason is because I don't even know what I want to be yet. Over the years I've wanted to be a detective, police officer, CSI, forensic scientist, and some other similar things. I guess in other words, I want to solve crimes but I haven't narrowed it down yet. But I'm going to have to because my gap year is up, and I haven't made any progress.

There's a girl who just went missing from a subway station somewhere by Soho. Maybe I could help find her? I don't know. It seems dangerous, but maybe it's worth the risk.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Hello Alistair
*sits down, passes a jug of water across*
Have a drink.

So, what appeals to you about crime solving?
Do you prefer to be in Queens or back in Detroit?
Why is the sky blue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:42 AM
fireasus (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Originally Posted by Tau View Post
Hello Alistair
*sits down, passes a jug of water across*
Have a drink.

So, what appeals to you about crime solving?
Do you prefer to be in Queens or back in Detroit?
Why is the sky blue?
*Takes drink*

I like the idea of being able to help people when they need it most. Also maybe it's because my mom would always (and still does) watch CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and Law and Order and the whole solving crime idea was implanted in my brain from a very young age.

Queens all the way.

The sky is blue as a result of blue light from the sun reflecting off of air molecules. Maybe. I don't remember science all that well.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

How do you think you will deal with the less savoury experience you might encounter while working with crime?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tau; 07-22-2012 at 09:09 AM..
Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 PM
RootCause (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Hello Alistair,

Nice to meet you. Choosing a career is always hard - at least you have it narrowed down to a few possibilities!

How have you spent your gap year? Have you talked to people in the career fields you are interested in? Or did you just soul-search?

How does your family feel about you taking up a potentially dangerous career?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:09 PM
fireasus (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

How do you think you will deal with the less savour experience you might encounter while working with crime?
I figure that the good parts of the job would outweigh the bad parts...
Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
Hello Alistair,

Nice to meet you. Choosing a career is always hard - at least you have it narrowed down to a few possibilities!

How have you spent your gap year? Have you talked to people in the career fields you are interested in? Or did you just soul-search?

How does your family feel about you taking up a potentially dangerous career?
Tell me about it! I almost feel too many possibilities.

Well, the first quarter of it I spent actually researching. I actually went for a police ride-along, which was fun. But later I began spending it walking my sister to and from school,and watching cartoons while eating Spaghetti-O's. My mom's saying that I should register for some classes at one of the community colleges around NYC and see if I could get in on a police internship.

They seem to be encouraging it. The steps I should take to get a crime solving career seem to be the talk at the dinner table. When we actually eat at the dinner table, anyways.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Just out of curiosity, but if you are not good at science, how are you at critical thinking and deductive reasoning. As both are related to science, and would also be necessary to be a detective, or a analyst for that matter.
But that aside, for as a civilian, what do I know.

What is your favourite, and least favourites foods?

Old 07-29-2012, 01:02 PM
katy (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

hey Alistair.
what is it about crime solving that is so appealing to you?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 PM
fireasus (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Just out of curiosity, but if you are not good at science, how are you at critical thinking and deductive reasoning. As both are related to science, and would also be necessary to be a detective, or a analyst for that matter.
But that aside, for as a civilian, what do I know.

What is your favourite, and least favourites foods?
I wasn't as good at science, I got an 85 in Chem. Biology and Physics I got about an 80 (I think. I lost most of my report cards) but I was typically a 90-95 student (at my school they have number grades rather than letters). However despite this, I'd say my deductive reasoning and critical thinking are pretty good, though I must say that I'm better at critical thinking than deductive reasoning.

I love Italian food, mostly Spaghetti and Fettuccine Alfredo. I also like Spagetti-O's, which is probably a little weird, but I eat them all the time. I'd have to say that my favorite food is cinnamon rolls. I'm also fond of baked potato chips and chocolate milkshakes (though that might not count as a food). I like Oke-Doke Popcorn too, and also Goldfish crackers. Yeah, kind of a weird combination.

My least favorite food is Thai food. I ate some about three years ago and it made me really, really sick (I don't know why, it just did), and so I can't bring myself to eat it anymore. And for some reason I don't like pizza. I don't know, it's rare that I find food I don't like (food is food).
Originally Posted by katy View Post
hey Alistair.
what is it about crime solving that is so appealing to you?
Hello.
Well, my mom would always watch crime dramas when I was younger (she still does). By crime drama I'm talking about CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Law & Order (though that's more of a legal drama rather than crime), and NYPD Blue. Those examples are older but you probably get my point. Anyways, she'd always watch those shows, and I'd watch them with her. The detectives always seemed like heroes, and I thought it was so cool how they helped people by solving crimes and arresting the bad guys. Even as I grew older, the idea still stuck with me. I guess you could compare the idea to that of one who wants to join the Armed Forces, willing to take up a job that could cost them their life for the sake of protecting others.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Myaora (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 9
Send a message via MSN to Myaora Send a message via Skype™ to Myaora

Hey Alistair, would you like to solve crimes on your own (as part of a police corps for example) or rather as an individual puzzle solver (For instance, as a private investigator)?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM
fireasus (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Originally Posted by Myaora View Post
Hey Alistair, would you like to solve crimes on your own (as part of a police corps for example) or rather as an individual puzzle solver (For instance, as a private investigator)?
Hi.
I'd like to solve crimes on my own. Being a PI doesn't appeal to me. Most private investigators work civil cases rather than criminal, and criminal cases are the ones I want to work.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Marshin (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 34

Alistair, is there a reason you want to work criminal cases rather than civil?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:49 PM
fireasus (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Originally Posted by Marshin View Post
Alistair, is there a reason you want to work criminal cases rather than civil?
Criminal cases have always seemed more important to me. As in, the ones more important to solve. Civil cases seem to be just money disputes (I know there's more than that, but most of the ones you see on TV are money disputes) meanwhile criminal cases involve murder, kidnapping, etc.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 AM
NickTrano (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16
Send a message via Skype™ to NickTrano

Why do you have a problem with settling money disputes? The people who help settle those usually make pretty high wages.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics