WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

advice on name of my Main character

Old 09-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Agatha Christie (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 64
Default advice on name of my Main character

I have finished a novel and MC is called Peter Grant. I chose Grant for personal reasons and Peter seemed a nice, middle of the road first name.

Now someone has told me I should change the name cos there is a footballer called Peter Grant.

Surely, there is always someone, living or dead, who will have the same name as a novel character. It would be almost impossible to find a name no one else has.....and would take horrendous amount of research.

Does it really matter if there is another human being with the same name as my character, famous or otherwise.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:54 AM
Nice&Blue (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 16

I'd say it depends on the level of fame of the real person.
Not being a football fan I can't verify PG but I have never heard of him.

The only thing I get caught out on with names is alliteration and more often than not that are called things like Alan Amos, Bernie Bradshaw, Carrie Carmichael etc etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New posts by me every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Guest slots open on Tuesday and Thursdays.
500 word limit email submissions to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics