WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Indie

Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Saving Annabel (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Indie

Um...Hello. My name is, um...Indie. As you can probably tell, I'm...What's the word I'm looking for...? Inept. I'm inept at things and not well-spoken, especially around people I don't know. I'm female and sixteen years old. I have long black hair, greyish green eyes, I'm skinny because The Resistance didn't feed me well enough (I'll talk about The Resistance later), and I'm pale despite being in the sun all day. I'm also a, uh...a weakling, but I have potential to become a fighter. My values are family and integrity. What else should I say...? Oh, I'm also psychic. My abilities are: telepathy, see the future, and see the past when I touch objects.

...What's that? Oh, don't mind Liam. As long as you don't try to hurt Liam or me, he won't bother you. He's my boyfriend and my protector since I can't fight as well as he can. He’s psychic like me and is training me how to fight. I’m not sure if this is important enough to include, but, um, he calls me his beloved. And I call him, “My love.”

How should I start my story…? Many years before I was born, a dystopia called Xanera was burned by The Seekers. The Seekers destroyed Xanera because they wanted a better life than what Xanera offered. The Resistance, who wants to rebuild Xanera kidnapped and forcibly recruits teenage psychics to fight against The Seekers.

Six months ago, someone contacted The Resistance about me. They…hang on a second; my tears are starting to hurt my eyes. Where was I…? Oh, yeah. They took me away from my parents and placed me in one of their secret training camps. The Resistance has training camps across Xanera and only they know where all of them are.

The reason I’m so skinny is because I didn’t so do well in my training. You have to do good enough to eat. Liam eats every day because he’s one of the best warriors. I think the good thing I can do is archery, but I have trouble with that, too.

I…uh, met Liam in the camp. From day one, Liam has helped me with my training. We’ve been friends ever since. When I first saw him, it was not love at first sight; in fact, I didn’t know my feelings for him until we broke out of the camp.

Every day when we wake up, we have a time limit to get brush our hair and teeth, and get dressed. Everybody, even the officers, the people who watched and trained us, wears grey. Girls wore a grey tank top, skirt, and pajamas when we go to sleep. The guys wore grey shirt, pants, and pajamas. After getting ready, we stand outside so the officers make sure we’re obeying the dress code and take roll.

Once that’s done, we go to train. Where we go depends on what weapon they plan for us to learn. Example, archery is outside and sword fighting is inside. When we were going to use swords, a girl named Vixen wished she could join The Seekers. I told her that there was a way out. I could tell she kept in mind of what I said.

One day, the leader of our camp said to Liam that he was going to be transferred to an army. When the officers believe you’re a good warrior, they send you to an army. Liam didn’t want to leave me, nor wanted to fight for something he doesn’t believe in. That same day, we came up with a plan to break out every teenager there. I remembered Vixen and that she was a good fighter.

The three of us came with a plan. We all pass a secret of the plan to all of the teens. At ten-thirty, Liam rallied the boys. Vixen and I gathered the girls. The girls waited at the Weapon shack for the boys. Liam used his telekinesis and unfastened the lock. Everyone got a sword, shield, a utility belt, and a bow.

When we were leaving the shack, the officers found out our plan and started to kill us. Because we were trained, we killed some of them, too. Since I’m not a good fighter, Liam promised me he would protect me; however, as we passed what we thought was fallen officer, turned out she was playing possum. She grabbed my ankle, and I fell. I yelled for Liam as she stabbed me with a rusty Old Age knife in my thigh. When he came, he kicked her hard on the head. Then he took out the knife and wrapped a tourniquet on my injury.

Soon, I saw Vixen fighting an officer. I saw how much of hate she had inside of her, especially when she stabbed her sword through his face. I felt so guilty using her hatred to escape. I-I…Hang on. I’m crying again. It just that I still feel bad of what I did. I didn’t even know her rage and loathing she had.

Sorry that I’m such an emotional wreck. Where did I stop at…? Sometime after that, the leader attacked Liam. Liam’s air was knocked out as he fell to the ground. Then the leader attacked me. Somehow, Liam got his bow and killed the leader. When we stepped closer to each other, I finally realized my feelings for him. And I also learned that he loves me, too. Hehe, that’s how we kissed each other for the first time.

Oh, man. I’m blushing. Please ignore that. So, where was I? Eventually, Liam opened the main gate, and every one of the remaining teens escaped. Liam and I took sanctuary in a forest after a while. He looked at my injury and saw an infection.

About four days later, we came into a village and entered a store that sells medicine. The storekeeper looked at my wound and said she couldn’t help me. She said that I had Tetanus. She explained that our metal is different from the Old Age, and ours never got rusty. We never had a problem with Tetanus, so we stopped making a cure for it; however, she also mention she came from a village from a different Region where a psychic healer is.

The healer also teaches psychic girls how to heal but not boys. She hates men.

Before Liam and I left, she gave us a map of Xanera, two scarves to disguise ourselves with, and a Wanted poster that had our pictures on it. Turned out we are wanted because we led the rebellion at the camp.

The next day, we met a man named Castor. The Resistance took his son, and Castor is looking for him. Liam made a deal with him. If Castor helped us get to the Region where the healer is, we would help find us son. Castor agreed.

Now you’re caught up.

Last edited by Loz; 12-31-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Hello Indie,

How are you? So, spill the beans. Do you love Liam? Or do you think of him more as protector than boyfriend? If you were allowed to eat any meal right now, what would it be? Why do think the resistance starve you? Wouldn't it make you worse at training? What were your parents like? How often do you think of them? Do you think they are looking for you? How did you become psychic?
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Saving Annabel (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

Hi, Loz...

I'm, um, okay. I was having something called lockjaw before you talked to me. Lockjaw is one of the symptoms of my infection. But...I'm fine.

...I absolutley love Liam. When we hold one another, we grow in like ivy and become one being. *blushes* I definitely see him more as a boyfriend.

I would love to have a cheeseburger so greasy, it would trail down my hand. Oh, with extra pickles. Lots of them. And fries! Whew, I need to calm down; I'm getting too exicted.

The Resistance didn't starve me; I'm just not as good as Liam. The Resistance use food as
motivation for us to become better. Even though I wasn't the best, doesn't mean that I didn't eat at all...Like I said, Liam did help me.

My parents were very kind, but they shielded me from the outside world some. They were afraid someone would turn me in, so they can get reward money. I never found out who, but I have suspects. I relive the memory of being taken away every once and a while when I sleep, so I think about them often. When I was taking away, my father...Excuse me; let me wipe my tears first. He...um...vowed to find me, so I guess they are.

I've been psychic as long as I can remember. I was born psychic, I guess.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:07 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Thanks Indie, here, have a cheeseburger...

That infection doesn't sound great, do you have doctors?
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Saving Annabel (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3

(I'm going to talk out of character to explain why Indie hasn't gone to a doctor. I wanted my main characters to have a goal. Going to the healer and Castor are just a subplot. Also, the healer will teach Indie how to heal. The main goal she has is when she tries to return home to save her mother because she'll have a vision her mom would be killed. The reason I didn't mentioned her vision is because it hasn't happened yet in the story; I wasn't sure if I should've included it).

Thank you so much! My stomach was singing in hunger. I hope you don't mind me talking and chewing at the same time...I guess we have doctors. My parents shielded me some, so I'm not really sure.

Ever since Xanera was burned, the society hasn't been the same. The land been...What's the word...? Rundown. The land been rundown. Money and stuff is hard to come by...T-that's why my family lived close to a river. My father taught me how to fish. My mother taught me how to make candles.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics