WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Priorities

View Poll Results: How do you priotitize these (God, Family, Community, etx)
Faith, Family, Folk in this order - the rest doesn't matter 1 20.00%
God, Family, Community, State, Country, Political Party 2 40.00%
God, Family, Country, Political Party 0 0%
Family, Folk, Country, Political Party 0 0%
Country, Party, everthing follows this 0 0%
Other 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2016, 09:10 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733
Default Priorities

This stems from a conversation with some people on Farcebook after I was foolish enough to venture into a "political discussion".

At this point I won't bore Y'all with the entire Farcebook discussion, it was a mindnumbing discussion of Marco Rubio versus Ted Cruz versus Donald tRUMP.

I asked a group of people to prioritize the following
God
Family
Tribe./ Community
State
Country
Political Party

A friend distilled the top three into
Faith
Family
Folk

This aligns with my list - except he leaves State, Country, and Political Party off

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:23 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

As a note - I view Tribe and immediate Community as separate entities.

There are people - a geographically scattered group of close friends that I consider TRIBE or FOLK that I have closer ties to that a lot in my immediate geographical community.

This just reminded me of something that I might write about.....
I'd like to remind people that they should feel free to allow thoughts from these discussions drive them to write - whether prose or poetry.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:01 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 933

voted other
because
i believe
family individuals relations and nature are greater then any others mentioned in this poll.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 03-31-2016, 05:24 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 126

I voted other too. Friends, family (I don't have much left) and to a much lower degree community. God and politics and nationalism can all go f*** themselves for all the use they are to me.
Nacia (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:38 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

I'd lay down my life for my family. Rather more reluctantly, I would lay down my life for my country. My state and my country are to all practical intents and purposes synonymous. My friends I'd die with, but I wouldn't die for... I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with them holding back the oncoming hordes, but if we needed one person to hold the gates while the rest escaped, I would not be the volunteer. I would make much smaller sacrifices for my community. I am an anarchist and there is no political party that I would support. There is no God.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:01 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 126

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
I'd lay down my life for my family.
I too would lay down your life for my family!
Old 08-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Sebastion Junger - a war corespondent - tackles the importance of Tribe (Folk) and tight knit society

http://thefederalist.com/2016/08/12/...te-solidarity/

From the article: Junger contends that living in a society where everyday life is increasingly independent and safe can, ironically, lend itself to the kind of malaise and mental health issues now gripping people at record rates in the developed world:

What people miss presumably isn’t danger or loss but the unity that these things often engender. There are obvious stresses on a person in a group, but there may be even greater stresses on a person in isolation, so during disasters there is a net gain in well-being. Most primates, including humans, are intensely social, and there are very few instances of lone primates surviving in the wild. A modern soldier returning from combat—or a survivor of Sarajevo—goes from the kind of close-knit group that humans evolved for, back into a society where most people work outside the home, children are educated by strangers, families are isolated from wider communities, and personal gain almost completely eclipses collective good. Even if he or she is part of a family, that is not the same as belonging to a group that shares resources and experiences almost everything collectively. Whatever the technological advances of modern society—and they’re nearly miraculous—the individualized lifestyles that those technologies spawn seem to be deeply brutalizing to the human spirit.
My years as a firefighter have led me to this - You will become tightly knit with people that you share danger and difficult situations with.

What would you risk dying for—and for whom—is perhaps the most profound question a person can ask themselves. The vast majority of people in modern society are able to pass their whole lives without ever having to answer that question, which is both an enormous blessing and a significant loss.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table