WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Apple vs FBI

Old 03-28-2016, 09:16 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231
Default Apple vs FBI

It's a funny story, really.

A show of hands from those that believe the FBI wasn't in that phone within hours of gaining possession?

So what gives?

Old 03-29-2016, 01:23 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 126

I wondered that, especially when I googled and found a whole lot of youtube videos showing me how to crack an iPhone.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:03 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

B.Pat - it is really hard to discern the truth - although a lot of reports - that haven't been changed - indicate that they "bricked" the phone in question soon after recovering it.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:20 AM
wyf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 126

It was never about the phone. It was about flexing muscles.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:05 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

It might have partially been about flexing muscles. It was also about being granted a backdoor into the i-phones that must be proving resistant to warrentless searches.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:27 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
It might have partially been about flexing muscles. It was also about being granted a backdoor into the i-phones that must be proving resistant to warrentless searches.

Yes, not because the FBI can't get into any phone they want, but because the evidence would be disallowed in court without legal collection of said evidence.

I talked to a customer of mine recently, and he laughed at the idea that the Feds were unable to hack a phone. This guy started in special ops, then the pentagon, then the NSA, and now is a security consultant for a private contractor.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:38 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

The latest encryption is always beyond the reach. It takes time to break it. And hackers, governmental and non governmental break into "Uber secure" data bases with too much frequency. So A lot of confidence in someones cyber mojo is often misplaced.

The FBI now claims to have gotten into that particular phone. There is debate on whether they did, or whether Apple "let them in" the "backdoor" and denies it, and a third camp that thinks the FBI is lying about getting into the phone.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:35 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,231

That was the point of my original question. I hear 'experts' on TV and elsewhere playing along with the idea that the FEDS weren't already in that phone. The guy I talked to said unequivocally that they were in the phone within hours of getting it. I don't doubt that encryption is strong, but I think the only way it's unhackable (and pretty damn quickly) is for the hardware to be out of reach.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

Some of what I've heard is that there was some stuff that can delete off the device goes through "X" amount of password attempts.

Several people I know in IT field think the FBI did not get into the phone initially, but who knows.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 521

If they had got into the phone immediately and found information that could only be useful if gathered legitimately, it would explain their anxiousness to publicly pursue a legal means of access.

Or they may have found information that was time sensitive and wanted people to believe they had not been able to crack it, in the hopes that suspects would continue to move as planned, long enough to establish surveillance.

Odds are, the damn thing wasn't even encrypted.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 733

I think Quartz's take is similar to ours

http://qz.com/642256/the-fbi-has-a-b...against-apple/

The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Prodigalson (04-09-2016)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table