WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

Hi

Old 06-13-2015, 11:51 AM
jlhawthorne (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Hi

I'm looking forward to learning from you!

Old 06-14-2015, 03:00 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Hello jlhawthorne,

May I ask what specific you wish to learn?

Or turning the question around, what do you currently write or would like to write?

Any way look around and settle in, and if you get the chance please read the forum Rules and Guidelines (link in my signature).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:55 PM
jlhawthorne (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Tau,

I want to hone my writing skills, such as they are. It's been a long time since college and I feel a bit archaic. Maybe the rules are different from what I learned. Even though I never stopped writing thru the years, it has been mainly "journaling", poetry and short stories--none of which I have shown to anyone.

An opportunity has arisen for me to do some editing of a manuscript that we found in my father's files when he died. It's type-written and dog-eared with scribbles and corrections in his favorite red pen. There was a time when I was praised for my writing but this project deserves a higher level of skill than I possess--except that I know my father's heart and style. No one can imitate that.

He had published four novels under his own name and several detective series under a pen name. His agent is interested in the "new" book and wants to re-introduce the others in ebooks and audio. So that is another area where I have much to learn.

Then there are the legal issues. I have to find out who has the copyright on the books and get them...reverted?...into my name. Find original contracts, book copies, publishers. The task seems too daunting for me and perhaps I can get some guidance from folks who have experience in the publishing industry.

One last thing--a movie was made years ago from one of his books and I don't know if he should be getting royalties from it, or from any of his books for that matter. Later in his life my dad was very sick and he stopped writing. Discouraged and disheartened that he hadn't been more successful, poor because he could no longer work, he sold off the rights as need arose. in 1974, for example, another movie was in the works and he sold the rights to pay a hospital bill.

What do you think? Have I come to the right place?

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions