WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

No Fun With Font

Old 07-15-2015, 09:13 PM
John_Casey_2014 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 5
Default No Fun With Font

When I joined and posted my introduction, I said to myself, "Oh that's nice, they have a wide selection of fonts available."

And then I went right to the Internet standard, Verdana.

As an aspiring writer, I'm trying to get my thoughts and feelings across to a reader, with as little clutter as possible between me and the reader.

And I just tried to read a story that was in mixed fonts, some of which were painful to read. I personally am here for feedback and critique of my writing, not my font choice.

Am I being a total jerk to ask why there isn't any standardization here to make the stories easier to read?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:20 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

I've never noticed fonts. Maybe on my iPhone through Tapatalk they are all the same?

Anyway, yes, you are being a total jerk for asking such a question.😄
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
John_Casey_2014 (07-18-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 09:54 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Just in case you can't see emoticons on your computer, I was only joking with you. I know fuck-all about fonts though.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2015, 10:35 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

While I donít know which story you are referring to have you considered that maybe the different fonts was intentional, say to represent speech or some such.

The forum has got a default font, and unless people go and change it when they post then all posts will be in that font.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tau For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2015, 02:41 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,380

Originally Posted by John_Casey_2014 View Post
When I joined and posted my introduction, I said to myself, "Oh that's nice, they have a wide selection of fonts available."

And then I went right to the Internet standard, Verdana.

As an aspiring writer, I'm trying to get my thoughts and feelings across to a reader, with as little clutter as possible between me and the reader.

And I just tried to read a story that was in mixed fonts, some of which were painful to read. I personally am here for feedback and critique of my writing, not my font choice.

Am I being a total jerk to ask why there isn't any standardization here to make the stories easier to read?
I figure you are on about jmr's post. I've noticed when people drag something from somewhere else and put it up here sometimes the print is undersized.

Yeah, it's difficult to read.

I suppose one could pass on such posts and go to the standard font ones.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

you can post in a variety of fonts. The biggest pointer is if you are working in word to save as a .txt file instead of a doc - helps with the formatting.

Changing fonts or changing parts of a piece to italics can help it stand out or to "break things up."

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2015, 10:22 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
you can post in a variety of fonts. The biggest pointer is if you are working in word to save as a .txt file instead of a doc - helps with the formatting.

Changing fonts or changing parts of a piece to italics can help it stand out or to "break things up."

Doesn't saving as a txt file remove all formatting except for line feeds? And doesn't that remove all fonts?

I don't think his problem is with his own writing, but reading something posted here. At least that's how I understood what he wrote. So telling him how to save his own work doesn't seem to address his question.
The Following User Says Thank You to poirot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

You are correct in that he didn't ask about formatting in specific - the OP is wondering about all the fonts available and why don't we standardize on one font "to make things easier to read"

A uniform, no option font, like stuck permanently stuck on Verdana might make for easier reading, except it gives not option to print parts in other text to make them stand out for one reason or another.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:43 AM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
You are correct in that he didn't ask about formatting in specific - the OP is wondering about all the fonts available and why don't we standardize on one font "to make things easier to read"

A uniform, no option font, like stuck permanently stuck on Verdana might make for easier reading, except it gives not option to print parts in other text to make them stand out for one reason or another.
The obvious follow-up question then is -- what can be done to make something that I find difficult to read easier?
Old 07-18-2015, 05:08 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Originally Posted by poirot View Post
The obvious follow-up question then is -- what can be done to make something that I find difficult to read easier?

I think Max said somewhere here to copy and paste it into a word document and then do what you want with the font. I don't see fonts on my phone, so I'm not sure where the difficulty is.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:51 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

If I see some merit it in something, but it's difficult to read because of formatting -- I usually say, I'll read this, but can you make the font bigger or add paragraph breaks etc. A lot of times, people do it, especially when other people chime in and say something. If they don't bother to change it -- then I don't bother reading it.

I try to make the things I post as easy to read as possible -- that mostly means making the font large enough and keeping it simple. For long stories, I often adjust the column width using the paragraph indent and I bump the size up as well. People seem to appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (07-19-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 09:04 AM
BourgeoisSafari (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

The font doesn't bother me, tbh.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback