WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

whatever happened to brianpatrick?

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,246

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Yeah - that green thing gets heavy sometimes. The worst part is when you step into a live conversation and everyone quits talking, so I try not to wear it often.

I try to be your buddy who helps keep you out of trouble when I'm wearing it, rather than a policeman. I don't know how successful I am.

Still love yer Prod - even when you're being the pencil monitor.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:39 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

Moderators are indispensable, in their own minds.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Originally Posted by JesseK1213 View Post
How does one delete their profile? Asking for a friend.

Tell "your friend" to message an Admin

Have "your friend" specify if they want their account deleted, or the whole enchilada. All posts, all writings, etc.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
I've missed the 'whatever' that went on.

From this blind perspective, Brianpatrick's dedication to the Beat will be missed - one of the few of us left who actually engaged in serious critique and a constant presence here that meant the lights were always on in the window.

Hope it can be resolved - or this is a short term thing. Sad if not.

to reiterate - any banning that has happened has been with a light hand. no permabans have been handed out.

If someone was banned, it was for a week. At the end they could come back if they want, with the expectation to cut out the behavior that got them banned.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:26 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Originally Posted by Beesauce View Post
Censorship. Too bad for "WB staff" SpShanes political comment has been screenshot for posterity.

And the WB continues its downward spiral toward obvious oblivion.

Wrong. The post in question was not political in nature but a very pointed, direct attack on another member of the 'Beat.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:19 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 70
Default SPSHANES Political Community Opinion (name redacted)

SpShane writes stories and I read them. Sometimes he shares what he claims is real life. None of that is bull.

Step outside the house and there's thousands of activities to do other than chat around a watercooler cussing at people you'll most likely never meet in person --

SPSHANE QUOTE:

… Just a couple of tea-sucking British b****s who've appointed themselves queens of the gossip column and social justice. And don't forget their stooge, ______, who'd suck a dick if it would bump this thread any higher. You're only missing the eye-rolling between self-congratulating, psuedo-intellectual bullshit that has nothing whatsoever to do with writing. Surely you know by now. They're the only ones with any sense of "perspective". The rest of us mere mortals are simply graced by their presence.

Seriously,

Fuck off… Everyone.

Fuck off, fuck off, fuck off.

END SPSHANE'S quote
, minus the name.

There you are, what you missed and what "WB staff" Mohican claims isn't political. Now it is just one opinionated comment without the name --
Old 08-15-2018, 11:34 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

SPSHANE QUOTE:

… Just a couple of tea-sucking British b****s who've appointed themselves queens of the gossip column and social justice. And don't forget their stooge, ______, who'd suck a dick if it would bump this thread any higher. You're only missing the eye-rolling between self-congratulating, psuedo-intellectual bullshit that has nothing whatsoever to do with writing. Surely you know by now. They're the only ones with any sense of "perspective". The rest of us mere mortals are simply graced by their presence.

Seriously,

Fuck off… Everyone.

END SPSHANE'S quote
, minus the name.

There you are, what you missed and what "WB staff" Mohican claims isn't political. Now it is just one opinionated comment without the name --
Blimey, do you screenshot every post? Seems a bit obsessive to me. And you've redacted the most interesting bits.

If you're going to censor a writers' forum you might as well not bother having one. If we can't express ourselves how we like then what is this forum for, exactly?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:42 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,066

the goblin remembered how the trolls on trolls valhalla forum just loved making those "why was ex banned" or "where has ex gone" threads just to obtain this kind of reaction from the other trolls there, and often the ones asking the questions were just sockpuppets of the ones being asked about too, whereupon the goblin smiled "...enough damage for one thread I see, I call for this thread to be locked now, anyway people leave because they do, yet I myself remain because that "journey to self" is not going to go away just because one preoccupies oneself with these externals like this, no, me I want to know who I am by what I post within the time remaining, and if that results in my being the last person here, so be it, because such things as "other people here" are for those with time on their hands, instead with me it's something more like "watch this space and try to keep up with me if you can humans"..." and with that the goblin was back to renewing his efforts in a life that seemed ever shorter looking back than one had envisaged looking forward

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-16-2018 at 02:00 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
anna (08-16-2018), Grace Gabriel (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 04:04 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
If you're going to censor a writers' forum you might as well not bother having one. If we can't express ourselves how we like then what is this forum for, exactly?
Silliness.

Generally on writing forums you're free to express yourself creatively; and here especially in the actual writing sections (the reason the site exists in the first place) just about anything goes.

As unevenly as they've been enforced, there are actually rules regarding personal attacks. Enforcing those rules isn't "censorship."

There's no guarantee of free speech on private internet forums. As much as I'd love to say whatever I want about other members, I recognize there are limits, and if I go past them, there will be consequences.

But ignoring these simple facts, and whinging about "censorship?" Well some people love phony outrage and feeling like they are being persecuted. It's nonsense.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:24 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 920

Anyhow I see brian's avatar picture is back to normal.
I am guessing he has not totally left which is a good thing.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-16-2018, 04:48 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

SPSHANE QUOTE:

Seriously,

Fuck off… Everyone.

END SPSHANE'S quote
, minus the name.

Excellent... now let’s see the one that got me a week in the cooler, hmm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
E. Zamora (08-16-2018), Nacia (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 05:14 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Silliness.

As unevenly as they've been enforced, there are actually rules regarding personal attacks. Enforcing those rules isn't "censorship."

But ignoring these simple facts, and whinging about "censorship?" Well some people love phony outrage and feeling like they are being persecuted. It's nonsense.
It is censorship. Deleting someone's post is the very definition of censorship. And it's all the more ridiculous because the post is just nonsense so why censor it? We're not in primary school. We all know cuss words and we know people get pissed and sound off and make fools of themselves. So who are we protecting?

It's just words and words are our business as writers. We shouldn't be afraid of them. I'm not outraged, phoney or otherwise. It's just very boring and I wish people would grow the fuck up and deal with things themselves instead of whining to a Mod as a kind of surrogate parent to sort out their battles for them.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:16 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

It is censorship. Deleting someone's post is the very definition of censorship. And it's all the more ridiculous because the post is just nonsense so why censor it? We're not in primary school. We all know cuss words and we know people get pissed and sound off and make fools of themselves. So who are we protecting?

It's just words and words are our business as writers. We shouldn't be afraid of them. I'm not outraged, phoney or otherwise. It's just very boring and I wish people would grow the fuck up and deal with things themselves instead of whining to a Mod as a kind of surrogate parent to sort out their battles for them.
Who is whining to a mod? That's a fantasy. The phony outrage, that's not about you, so please accept my apology.

Otherwise, this really isn't complicated. You can say pretty much whatever you want, as long as it's not a personal attack. You're complaining about censorship only in the most literal and simplistic sense.

For example, I could have said, "flyingtart is an idiot, and here's why..." (And I'm using the word "idiot" here purely for educational purposes.)

Instead, I explained that personal attacks are against forum rules, but otherwise, you can write whatever you want.

The second approach does the job just fine. See the difference?

Ideally creative people and good writers should be able to imply that someone is an idiot without having to actually say it. That's seems a lot more like "the business of writers" to me.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by E. Zamora; 08-16-2018 at 06:19 AM..
Old 08-16-2018, 06:54 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

Also, in case there's any additional confusion, I'm not referring to specific cases here, or the consistency of moderation and how it's carried out, just how writing forums with rules and moderation work in general.

And as an aside, when it comes to "censorship," the other writing forums are like East Germany and the Stasi compared to this one...
Old 08-16-2018, 07:15 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Also, in case there's any additional confusion, I'm not referring to specific cases here, or the consistency of moderation and how it's carried out, just how writing forums with rules and moderation work in general.

And as an aside, when it comes to "censorship," the other writing forums are like East Germany and the Stasi compared to this one...

The Stasi? Well, that’s a little dramatic. I’ve never had any fingers broken or family members disappeared at other forums.

I agree though, it’s pretty loose here. I think Mo got ahead of himself with my last stint in the penalty box. But I’m not going to hold a grudge. People make mistakes, feelings get hurt. I understand.

Censorship is more when a public managing body makes things go away. A private business can make its rules and enforce them to protect their business as they see fit, mostly.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:26 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

For example, I could have said, "flyingtart is an idiot, and here's why..."
Very astute of you to notice.

What's so wrong with insults? Some of the funniest things ever written have been insults. We shouldn't be so precious about it.

Re the Stasi forums, I take it you're referring to Absolute Shite?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:48 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,246

Oh, you're back BP...

how d'it go at the hairdressers?

Mo mentioned something about you getting a demi-wave..or was it a semi-perm? No, wait - you got a mullet right?

Yeah... looking good

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 08-16-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 152

What's so wrong with insults? Some of the funniest things ever written have been insults. We shouldn't be so precious about it.
If you're actually clever about it. And there's probably quite a bit of leeway, if it's not a personal attack. I think you know the difference.

That one's not so bad comparatively. The worst is writingforums.org (not to be confused with writingforums.com.) If you get the least bit testy, you'll be admonished or worse.

Maybe it's different, but when I tried it out, even critiques and to be ridiculously deferential.

And the profanity was redacted from a short story I posted. Apparently, the ****** had it built into the ******* forum software.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

Ha! I was once in a forum that redacted the rude bit of Scunthorpe. Really.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:19 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Oh, you're back BP...

how d'it go at the hairdressers?

Mo mentioned something about you getting a demi-wave..or was it a semi-perm? No, wait - you got a mullet right?

Yeah... looking good

Yeah, at first I was going to get another tattoo but chinspinner was already on the table when I got there getting one on his ass-cheek, and spshane showed up with no pants on... and who wants to be sandwiched between that?

I couldn’t decide about the hair so I just took a trim and blow-dry, then wrapped it back up into the man-bun.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Very astute of you to notice.

banter, jabs, some insults are funny. The issue is where to draw the line.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 732

Since brian is back, Nacia's question is answered, thus ending the need for this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Nacia (08-17-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 06:24 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

It can be an homage... besides, I’ve every reason to believe I’ll get banned again.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,246

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Since brian is back, Nacia's question is answered, thus ending the need for this thread.
Am I allowed to bump up my "I Miss Nick Pierce" thread?

I haven't heard from him in hours.....
Old 08-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 920

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
It can be an homage... besides, I’ve every reason to believe I’ll get banned again.

Let's raise the bar and believe it won't happen again.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 920

Am I allowed to bump up my "I Miss Nick Pierce" thread?

I haven't heard from him in hours.....
LOL nice steal there Grace !
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 08-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,246

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
LOL nice steal there Grace !
Diversion tactics Nacia...grab that ball and keep running
Old 08-17-2018, 01:09 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,380

Diversion tactics Nacia...grab that ball and keep running
If we're gonna go that way please give a fella a bit of advance notice so he can be ... ahem ... prepared.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:06 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,066

("...and then they all lived happily ever after..." proposed the goblin suspecting anything but, then adding "...that reminds me though, so if anyone ever asks you "what's the difference between trolls and writertypes" just remember that trolls are the ones who actually know that they are trolls, um...., whereas the writertypes are trolls too only that they're missing a certain realization about themselves I guess...")
Old 08-17-2018, 04:46 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,199

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
Let's raise the bar and believe it won't happen again.

I love your optomism. Really, I do. But I just have a low threshold for bullshit. It’s not that I can’t have fun and enjoy a good joke; I can. But when it comes to divisive rhetoric disguised as “hey man, it’s just what I believe, so deal with it,” I am always going to say something. Usually not good things. You know, you can tell when someone is harmlessly making jokes and having a good time. Maybe they’re not very sharp or whatever, but it’s harmless. Or maybe it’s really kooky and weird. Or maybe they are genuinely yanking someones chain because they can and it’s funny. They may have this online persona and most people understand what to expect, or better, people have no idea what they’ll say next—that’s always fun.

But, like I said, truly divisive (for its own sake) rhetoric and dogma affects us all, the whole planet, and while it’s not my “job” to do anything about it, I feel compelled to call it out, and in some circles that gets one a “time-out.”

Nacia dear, I appreciate you starting this thread (noticing), and will forever hold you in my heart as an excellent example of a forum member I can not live up to.

😘😘😘

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (08-18-2018)
Closed Thread

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe