WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Help me write a rebuttal.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Billy (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Help me write a rebuttal.

I'm not the most eloquent of writers. However, after reading an article in my school paper yesterday I feel I need to respond.

Article

Above is the article I plan on writing a rebuttal to. However, I'm not quite sure where to begin.

Right now I'm planning on:

Stating that disproving evolution doesn't prove intelligent design. While this guy's column was called Give Intelligent Design a Look, he spent the entire thing trying to poke holes in evolution. While he attempted to disprove evolution, he did almost nothing to explain why intelligent design is so good.

Debunking nearly all of his major arguments.

Is arguing with him on the Miller Urey experiment worth it? I don't plan on it at the moment because it's more of a how did life begin type question rather than one dealing with evolution.

Show that he lacks a clear understanding of evolution based on his fruit fly argument, mentioning the Miller Urey experiment, and comments about Darwin.

Here is what I have so far:

Originally Posted by Billy
In response to Mr. Davis’ “Give Intelligent Design a Look” editorial, Not only did Mr. Davis fail to provide any compelling reasons to look at intelligent design, he also lacks a clear understanding of evolution and spread grossly inaccurate scientific information.
Is my plan for the ediorial good? How is my introduction looking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
video games!

Last edited by Billy; 02-18-2006 at 01:27 PM..
Old 02-18-2006, 01:26 PM
entropy (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Send a message via AIM to entropy

Welcome to the beat Bill, mind if I call you Bill?

Well Bill...

First off, your link has the title/url switched. That isn't important though. It's good you've realized how fallacious his argument is. Be sure to point that out. Once pointed out, be sure to point it out again with witty zingers that will leave him red in the face. A good mix of witt and truth always gets those damned creationists. I think you're in good position to completely own this guy. You just have to do what he didn't, which is actually present an argument, not just shit-talk the competition. Present your argument first and foremost. Be concise and have backup. You might mention the milller Urey experiment, but don't go into detail, as a reader can do that if they see fit. Then present his argument with the same attention to detail. Finally the fun part, rip his argument to pieces.

disproving evolution doesn't prove intelligent design.
Good line here. Use it. I, personally, would point out how fictitious theories like flying spaghetti monsterism make more sense than creationism.

Post your rebuttal, I want to see where you take this.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:33 PM
DJRome (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0

Make that your main focus, but don't base your entire argument on that one fallacy. Try to find some rebuttal against his basic principles.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Occasionalpoet (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

Well, you said that he "spread grossly inacurate scientific information". Be sure to point where the inacurate info is, what it is, and why its wrong. That is, if he is wrong about it. I'm a creationist myself and I'd hate for some idiot to mess up really well with his argument and give us a bad name, not that we don't already have one.
If you want you can run your rebuttle by me and we can toss rebuttle's back and forth(in a friendly fashion) until you have completely obliterated my argument, or I have completely obliterated yours.
You up for that?

“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”-Nikola Tesla

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction