WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Christianity and marriage equality

Old 07-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 155

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
people are people gay or not
I dislike these labels blasphemed against individual on the ground of their sexuality
we should not be calling people names such as straight gay and so
on I think we need to find a different better way of addressing each other and the rest including sex is none of our business.
Nacia, I once stated that you are ahead of the field (in your thinking). And your post does confirm it. Essentially, when we get down to the bare bones, we are all "one," a fact which you have no problem acknowledging.

But, for the vast majority of us stuck in the back of the pack, we must use adjectives to make a point. I'm not disrespecting anybody by using the labels straight and gay. I just don't want to confuse the pack; besides, at our level, we have to be specific to understand one another. Plus, how else could I tell my story?

You are already in the advanced class, so be nice to us beginners.

Last edited by Cityboy; 07-14-2015 at 09:29 AM..
Old 07-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 357

veritywritten, you might try putting some paragraph breaks in there.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:38 AM
veritywritten (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Icon9

Where do we stand now in this age of MAGA?
Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Originally Posted by veritywritten View Post
With notable few exceptions, The Republicans that make it to the National political stage are just as decadent and degenerate as the Democrats. http://time.com/3734626/gay-marriage...t-republicans/

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:40 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
With notable few exceptions, The Republicans that make it to the National political stage are just as decadent and degenerate as the Democrats. http://time.com/3734626/gay-marriage...t-republicans/

Pretty sure making America great again has nothing to do with whether or not homos can marry each other. If you think it does, you might be a redneck.

And, for the record, Foxworthy was making fun of rednecks, not condoning that behavior.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:58 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 363

Back when the homosexuals were properly reviled, there were hardly any of them. Now people are turning gay in droves.

The propaganda and recruitment campaign is working!

Last edited by Myers; 08-10-2017 at 04:44 AM..
Old 08-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Originally Posted by veritywritten View Post
Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Pretty sure making America great again has nothing to do with whether or not homos can marry each other. If you think it does, you might be a redneck.

And, for the record, Foxworthy was making fun of rednecks, not condoning that behavior.
Perhaps I didn’t make this simple enough for you to comprehend, Brian.
Context with the OP, (that’s this: http://writersbeat.com/showpost.php?...29&postcount=1 )

I could have added to my response to verity that minimal action pertaining to these issues will change for the better, ie a rollback of Obergefell vs Hodges etc. tRUMP has undone some of Zero’s social engineering in the Military, but if Verity is expecting largescale rollbacks, especially starting in the legislature, don’t expect it to come from the Republicans. Because they are trying hard to be as sympatico to the LBGT-EIEIos or whatever as much as the Democrats are.

Yes, a bit more effort on my part may have prevented a dullard response on yours, but I doubt it.

Look – a squirrel. Can I pet it?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

but if Verity is expecting largescale rollbacks, especially starting in the legislature, dont expect it to come from the Republicans. Because they are trying hard to be as sympatico to the LBGT-EIEIos or whatever as much as the Democrats are.

Oh, you mean the Reps are trying to appear as though they are normal, decent humans in order to get reelected? No surprise there.

A lack of simplicity is not the problem from which you suffer, sir. It's a lack of tolerance and a misguided belief that your way is the right way. And short of that you'd like to self segregate. Separate but equal?

Oh, that and you can't type people's names you disagree with without mockingly distorting them.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 363

Some of them might be pandering. Some of them might have actually come around to applying a little reason and logic to the issue...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:57 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Some of them might be pandering. Some of them might have actually come around to applying a little reason and logic to the issue...

Old 08-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 363

Some of them. Maybe...
Old 08-10-2017, 05:10 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

Some of them. Maybe...

The ones in safe districts, I guess.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:46 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Oh, you mean the Reps are trying to appear as though they are normal, decent humans in order to get reelected? No surprise there.
Or it could come off as pandering, or that they have come off the rails and want to join in on a me-too-ism.

A lack of simplicity is not the problem from which you suffer, sir. It's a lack of tolerance and a misguided belief that your way is the right way. And short of that you'd like to self segregate. Separate but equal?

Oh, that and you can't type people's names you disagree with without mockingly distorting them.
Tolerance of something wrong is not a good thing. But the simplicity of that is beyond your ken. (no not your avatar, Brian http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/beyond+ken)

I'll just quote Archbishop Chaput:

We need to remember that tolerance is not a Christian virtue. Charity, justice, mercy, prudence, honesty these are Christian virtues. And obviously, in a diverse community, tolerance is an important working principle. But its never an end itself. In fact, tolerating grave evil within a society is itself a form of serious evil. Likewise, democratic pluralism does not mean that Catholics (and other Christians - my addition) should be quiet in public about serious moral issues because of some misguided sense of good manners. A healthy democracy requires vigorous moral debate to survive. Real pluralism demands that people of strong beliefs will advance their convictions in the public square peacefully, legally and respectfully, but energetically and without embarrassment. Anything less is bad citizenship and a form of theft from the public conversation.
Archbishop Charles Chaput

Old 08-11-2017, 05:11 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 363

For a whole lot of people, it isn't even about "tolerance."

It's about an understanding beyond religious indoctrination -- and recognizing how someone is simply living a life that is honest to them and that doesn't hurt anyone...
Old 08-11-2017, 05:21 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,069

Or it could come off as pandering, or that they have come off the rails and want to join in on a me-too-ism.

Tolerance of something wrong is not a good thing. But the simplicity of that is beyond your ken. (no not your avatar, Brian http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/beyond+ken)

“We need to remember that tolerance is not a Christian virtue. Charity, justice, mercy, prudence, honesty — these are Christian virtues. And obviously, in a diverse community, tolerance is an important working principle. But it’s never an end itself. In fact, tolerating grave evil within a society is itself a form of serious evil. Likewise, democratic pluralism does not mean that Catholics (and other Christians - my addition) should be quiet in public about serious moral issues because of some misguided sense of good manners. A healthy democracy requires vigorous moral debate to survive. Real pluralism demands that people of strong beliefs will advance their convictions in the public square — peacefully, legally and respectfully, but energetically and without embarrassment. Anything less is bad citizenship and a form of theft from the public conversation.”
– Archbishop Charles Chaput

"Love each other" and "judge not lest ye be judged" has a resonance with me.

Personally, I can't find any "evil" in a loving relationship.

God made gays - if genetics are spontaneously creating their own maverick course, then God fails to be "that than which nothing greater can be conceived."

He is either the author of creation - and therefore gays can be proclaimed "good" - or evolution is entirely independent of any wise or benevolent force.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:55 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 867

We need to remember that tolerance is not a Christian virtue. Charity, justice, mercy, prudence, honesty these are Christian virtues. And obviously, in a diverse community, tolerance is an important working principle. But its never an end itself. In fact, tolerating grave evil within a society is itself a form of serious evil. Likewise, democratic pluralism does not mean that Catholics (and other Christians - my addition) should be quiet in public about serious moral issues because of some misguided sense of good manners. A healthy democracy requires vigorous moral debate to survive. Real pluralism demands that people of strong beliefs will advance their convictions in the public square peacefully, legally and respectfully, but energetically and without embarrassment. Anything less is bad citizenship and a form of theft from the public conversation.
Archbishop Charles Chaput

He is talking about grave evil, not gay's being married. Sure, the Catholics believe it's a sin to live a gay lifestyle, but they also believe that your religion, Mo, is ultimately sinful. (You don't get marks in heaven for being 'sort of' Catholic). The addition of 'other christians' by some reviews of his speech is false, and wishful thinking.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:56 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 363

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
"Love each other" and "judge not lest ye be judged" has a resonance with me.

Personally, I can't find any "evil" in a loving relationship.

God made gays - if genetics are spontaneously creating their own maverick course, then God fails to be "that than which nothing greater can be conceived."

He is either the author of creation - and therefore gays can be proclaimed "good" - or evolution is entirely independent of any wise or benevolent force.

There may or may not be a genetic component. But I think there is at least something in very early childhood development that determines sexual orientation.

I've heard the stories, and I can see there is generally a time of recognition -- just like heterosexuals have.

Is it a choice for some? I think for a very small percentage. Even so, who they choose to have sex with or marry is their business, not the governments.

Otherwise, I think it's mostly like the old cliche -- when did you choose to be straight?

And trading bible verses with someone who thinks unrepentant homosexuals are going to burn in a lake of fire is probably a non-starter.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:00 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,069

There may or may not be a genetic component. But I think there is at least something in very early childhood development that determines sexual orientation.

I've heard the stories, and I can see there is generally a time of recognition -- just like heterosexuals have.

Is it a choice for some? I think for a very small percentage. Even so, who they choose to have sex with or marry is their business, not the governments.

Otherwise, I think it's mostly like the old cliche -- when did you choose to be straight?

And trading bible verses with someone who thinks unrepentant homosexuals are going to burn in a lake of fire is probably a non-starter.
It was, by no means, a cynical move on my part to quote the Bible - or play quick draw with Bible quotes. I just used them to illustrate my own question. If one believes in a perfect being that surpasses all other, that being is rendered passible if part of His creation is perceived as 'wrong'.

In a World which has serious problems looming with overpopulation, homosexuality seems like a Divine plan in action.

We play God by saving or sustaining lives that nature wouldn't support (premature babies, life support, maintaining vegetative states.) We preserve and prolong life against the natural grain. We carelessly procreate at an alarming rate .. ....

If they weren't so many gays - would the Catholics need to resort to birth control?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:10 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 363

I get what you were saying. And I wasn't suggesting any cynicism on your part. Just anticipating where it usually goes...
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (08-11-2017)

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction