WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

An Odd Speculation about Afterlife

Old 11-13-2016, 02:19 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230
Default An Odd Speculation about Afterlife

Bear with me here. We have lots of examples of the lack of facts in faith. But I’ve always wondered if, at the finite moment of death (when the last neural cells give up their energy and fade away) could there be a last thought. I suspect the answer is no because a thought is made of a complex of cells working together. Since each cells dies independently of others. Yet, I wondered how thoughts leave consciousness. It may happen like looking at a complex city at night and when the energy is withdrawn, clicks off like a light switch from light to darkness? Or is it a wave, say from left to right, where the change is more gradual like a dimmer switch slowly lowering the light.

That’s the background which led me to ponder this: If a dying person has a last thought that they have arrived at a preconceived notion of an afterlife lasting for eternity, would it be real for them? I suppose for that person it must ‘feel’ real. I’m at a loss on how to feel eternity. For me, there’s no frame of reference to even talk about the feeling. But maybe eternity is possible to feel. And the dying person feels it. Is this real? I don’t mean real as factually supported. I mean for the person dying it feels real.

As I mentioned, I’m having trouble imagining the feeling of eternity. If the person dying had a last thought of eternity would they thereby have avoided their death?

Of course, this is all just speculation on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Finding a bridge between fact and faith is probably impossible. I fully understand that when the brain dies there are no more thoughts. Even of eternity.

Since you are alive, do you any thoughts on this?

Writing that was fun and reminded me of writing required essays in my earlier Philosophy classes. I hope it wasn’t too boring for you. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.

Last edited by wrc; 11-13-2016 at 02:22 PM..
Old 11-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I think you might need a hobby.

Someone gave my dad a book about how to build bird houses. Let me know if you're interested and I can send it to you.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:20 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I think you might need a hobby.

Someone gave my dad a book about how to build bird houses. Let me know if you're interested and I can send it to you.
Thanks, Meyers, for the suggestion. I already have a hobby. I design interlaced multiple path layrunths on paper. Like any good hobby it takes me out of my mind.

Do you have one?

(lol) BTW, do you have any comments about my post? wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
Myers (11-16-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Everyone knows the flesh decays after death. That is a fact in your writing. People killed by explosions haven't the time to think about anything. There spirits instantly emerge from their bodies. Years ago, a friend stabbed a man to death in self defense. He told me that as soon as he plunged the knife into the man, he killed him instantly. He saw the man's spirit pop out of his body as if it came from a toaster. The man's spirit had an horrific on its face, a look as if it had just been killed.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:35 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

there is always a last though, yes it is one of the few things that 'always' can be applied

but to that thought,

if that last moment is of your children, as a bullet rips through your head - maybe that would be 'haven'

and possibly if you are bleeding out, or dying from old age - something that you are sure is going to kill you - then maybe that is 'hell'

on the later I guess that would depend on the individual.

and I saw a spirt once too -- it was a blue fairy - I never drank that shit again.

max
Old 11-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by wrc View Post

Bear with me here. We have lots of examples of the lack of facts in faith. But Iíve always wondered if, at the finite moment of death (when the last neural cells give up their energy and fade away) could there be a last thought. I suspect the answer is no because a thought is made of a complex of cells working together. Since each cells dies independently of others. Yet, I wondered how thoughts leave consciousness. It may happen like looking at a complex city at night and when the energy is withdrawn, clicks off like a light switch from light to darkness? Or is it a wave, say from left to right, where the change is more gradual like a dimmer switch slowly lowering the light.

Thatís the background which led me to ponder this: If a dying person has a last thought that they have arrived at a preconceived notion of an afterlife lasting for eternity, would it be real for them? I suppose for that person it must Ďfeelí real. Iím at a loss on how to feel eternity. For me, thereís no frame of reference to even talk about the feeling. But maybe eternity is possible to feel. And the dying person feels it. Is this real? I donít mean real as factually supported. I mean for the person dying it feels real.

As I mentioned, Iím having trouble imagining the feeling of eternity. If the person dying had a last thought of eternity would they thereby have avoided their death?

Of course, this is all just speculation on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Finding a bridge between fact and faith is probably impossible. I fully understand that when the brain dies there are no more thoughts. Even of eternity.

Writing that was fun and reminded me of writing required essays in my earlier Philosophy classes. I hope it wasnít too boring for you. wrc
If you're serious, you ought to read Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' "On Death and Dying." It's probably the best book ever written on the topic. She worked beside dying children and adults most of her life and documented their experiences right up to the final stages of their lives.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Ebenezer Lux (11-13-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

I certainly do. I've recently posted them in another thread, so I'll just quote myself.

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
Well, we don't need to do science to describe what happens when we die. Observation is perfectly sufficient. The dying person's heart stops, their breathing stops, their brain function ceases and they start to decompose.

You may be wondering what happens to a person's mind or soul when their brain stops working, but that's not hard to explain. It's exactly the same thing as what happens to a computer program when the chip it's running on is damaged, destroyed or powered down.

The mind or soul is clearly not the same thing as a brain, but there's no evidence to suggest it can exist without a brain as its substrate.

I've not personally had a near-death experience but I've talked to others who have. Although the experiences are not all the same, there are enough common themes that we can describe a "typical" or classic perithanatic experience. They are similar for people of all faiths and people of no faith. Pain, if any, ceases as the neural input fades; the person is likely to experience euphoria, which they may describe as "joy". The optic nerves receive less signal, and the peripheral vision fades first, so the person experiences tunnel vision and sometimes a sensation of movement. The lack of visual stimulation causes Charles Bonnet Syndrome which is well documented in cases of sight loss whether or not they're related to death ---- essentially, your brain knows it should be receiving a visual signal, but none is incoming, so it fills in the void by creating hallucinations, often of people. So absence of pain, euphoria, the sensation of moving along a tunnel towards a point of light, hallucinations of people you may have known.

I think this is pleasing. There's no reason why people would have evolved to experience death as such a pleasant thing, but also no reason why not.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
I certainly do. I've recently posted them in another thread, so I'll just quote myself.
Well written, but filled with half-truths and misleading info. Peoples on every continent, long before the means to visit each other's shores have embraced the spiritual realm. Why? How did they tune into one another's cultures without even knowing there were other continents? Simple. The ability to witness and to communicate with the departed. The ability exists even today.

Last edited by Cityboy; 11-14-2016 at 09:08 AM..
Old 11-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Well written, but filled with half-truths and misleading info. Peoples on every continent, long before the means to visit each other's shores have embraced the spiritual realm. Why? How did they tune into one another's cultures without even knowing there were other continents? Simple. The ability to witness and to communicate with the departed. The ability exists even today.
Why, that's right! The spiritual realms that our ancestors all believed in are fundamentally the same. Huitzilopochtli and Thor are both basically Jehovah, after all, aren't they.

How could I have missed that? I'll just trot along to my local priest and get myself christened tomorrow morning.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:54 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post

Not according to ancient alien theorists.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:55 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230
Default Charles Bonnet Syndrome from NonSeviam.

Thank you, Non Seviam, for your post last night. Today, I couldn't find it and it looks like someone deleted it. So I'm not able to key this post with your post.

When I read your post I immediately went to Wikipedia and learned about the Charles Bonnet Syndrome. That led to other searches and the result was a good night's sleep because some blanks in my mind had filled in.

How about PMing me the name of the forum where you first posted it. It sounds like a forum I'd like to join.

Once again, during a tired depression, you came to the rescue for me and you have no idea how helpful you've been. Thank you. wrc

Old 11-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 590

Hi mate

I posted it on Writersbeat, in the Intellectual Table. This thread, page 3, post #75.

All the best

NS
;

Old 11-16-2016, 03:59 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Thanks, Meyers, for the suggestion. I already have a hobby. I design interlaced multiple path layrunths on paper. Like any good hobby it takes me out of my mind.

Do you have one?
Besides writing, I play guitar and sometimes more than as a hobby. Let's say semi-professionally.

I have a lot of other interests too. But I also have a job, family and a house that you might call a fixer-upper, so not a lot of time for hobbies.

(lol) BTW, do you have any comments about my post? wrc
No.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table