WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Autumn Contest Comments

Old 08-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682
Default Autumn Contest Comments

Please leave all comment, questions, and anything else related to this seasons comments in this thread.

The prose thread is here.
The poetry thread is here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tau; 08-01-2012 at 05:41 AM..
Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Quetzalcoatl (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 20

Well, all the entries that I have seen in both forums have been extremely interesting and well written. Looks like I've got some stiff competition.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 PM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 Autumn Contest (Prose) – Message in a Bottle

It seems that the theme "Message in a Bottle" - Prose - has inspired nautical storylines in the entries so far. I guess that was to be expected.

Quetzalcoatl - your excerpt from the log of Belle Marie was very well done. I had to read it a second time to make up my mind that it was fictional. A couple of things I had questions about:
In the 12:34 pm entry you wrote
"I have decided to make all haste in finding the island."
I don't see any mention of an island before this. Did you intentionally hold back any information about the survivor being on an island?
In the 7:05 am entry
"A small puff of smoke rose into the air and the sound of a gunshot was heard a few seconds later."
I question whether the smoke from a flintlock pistol would be visible from a distance. In early morning light the muzzleflash might be.
One last thing, which might be a bit knitpicky, is Jameson a typical Portuguese name?

bmj851 - Ship in the Bottle - very nicely done. I really don't have any comments on the writing. Interesting little fantasy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norvbrooks For This Useful Post:
bmj851 (08-14-2012), Quetzalcoatl (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Quetzalcoatl (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 20

I'm glad it was convincing enough that you had to read it twice. Did you also read my poem entry? Its the message that was in the bottle. No, I did not purposely withhold the info, And the smoke just one of the things you get when you figure it out as you type it in the reply box. I'm kinda surprised you didn't comment on the fact that he died of starvation though there was no fresh water. As for Jameson, I have no idea.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 Autumn Contest (Prose) – Message in a Bottle

Quetzalcoatl - yes, I did read the poem but not until I re-read the prose. I thought that was a clever linking of the two entries. I got the impression from the poem that he did end his life before actually starving to death. Yes, technically one dies from a lack of water before the lack of food. However, I didn't really go down that path.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Quetzalcoatl (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 20

Originally Posted by norvbrooks View Post
Quetzalcoatl - yes, I did read the poem but not until I re-read the prose. I thought that was a clever linking of the two entries. I got the impression from the poem that he did end his life before actually starving to death.
Well that was his intention, but then he saw possible rescue from the ship and fired his gun to get its attention. At least, thats how I think of it. Anything that anyone writes is up for at least a little interpretation by individuals. Who knows, maybe he had to fight off a giant salt water crocodile.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Thank you all to have entered, looks like it will be a very good contest, now I just find some inspiration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:25 AM
Quetzalcoatl (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 20

While you're looking, why don't you give each of the contestants a cookie, and I'll give out hot cocoa
Old 08-18-2012, 08:18 PM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 Autumn Word Vault(WBQ35) - The Musician

Nice little story using all 5 Vault words - well done.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
While you're looking, why don't you give each of the contestants a cookie, and I'll give out hot cocoa

Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 AM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 Autumn Contest (Poetry) – Message in a Bottle - MAROONED

Agatha - I liked the flow of your poem - it read very well. With all the dark writings which seems to be popular, I found your story line refreshing.
The Following User Says Thank You to norvbrooks For This Useful Post:
Agatha Christie (09-15-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 PM
norvbrooks (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 19
Icon6 Message in a Bottle (Prose) - Kensington Vault

I really enjoyed reading this. It kept me hooked racing to the conclusion. I think I got the message within the story. Well written.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests