Board Games Get it? "Board" games.

The Inn Between (Character Chat)

Old 01-06-2015, 01:44 AM
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0
Icon10 The Inn Between (Character Chat)

I got this idea off of a roll playing site I used to frequent. Basically it was a sort of hub-world where characters could talk and go on adventures. If someone came up with a quest they would recruit teammates and post a new thread to run sort of like a DM. Here you're free to do whatever you want, as long as you're staying in character. You can have as many characters as you want, but try to stick to what you can handle.

The Inn Between floated through a white void. Besides the unusual location, it seemed to be an ordinary two story tavern/inn that you would see in some sort of medieval fantasy novel. Inside was an array of mis-matched tables and chairs, and no two pieces of furniture were alike. There were a number of characters:
Behind the bar was a Barkeeper polishing a glass.
At the corner table were two strange people. There was an exotic-looking green-haired woman chatting to a strange, furry, bat-winged creature.
At one of the tables in the centre was an ordinary looking teenage girl.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Clint Flindt (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Without warning, a stout, muscular dwarf stumbled in through the door. He had a bald head, except the giant, orange mohawk, towering across his pate, and an equally orange beard ending in big braids. He had brown, ragged pants of cloth, and no shirt, revealing his enormous muscles, and blue, tribal like tatoos. He stood with a huge, doublesided axe in his hands, ready to strike any foe.

"Where are they!? I'll slaughter each an' everyone o' ye' little pesky goblins!", he roared.
Then he realized that he were in a tavern, and he stood there in the middle of the room, mildly confused.
"Where is this? How did i get here?" he said with a bass voice. "Oh well, it seems it be my lucky day! O' anywhere i could've been randomly teleported to, 'twas an inn! Innkeeper, i wan' a keg o' your finest ale!".
He stomped through the inn, paying no attention to the other guests, and landed a big, fat, heavy pouch full of gold on the desk.

Last edited by Clint Flindt; 03-13-2015 at 11:49 PM..
Old 03-13-2015, 03:52 PM
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

The Barkeep calmly set his glass down on the table, ducked behind the bar, and pulled out an ale without a word. He took a few gold pieces from the pouch, enough to cover the cost of the ale.

"Will that be all, sir?" he asked.

The two strange guests took a second to look over this new arrival before going back to their business.

The normal-looking girl walked over to the bar. "Hey Keepy, I'd like a stake dinner. Rare." The Barkeep obliged, pulling a ready-made dinner from under the bar. The girl paid, then turned to the dwarf. "So," she asked, "what's your story?"
Old 03-13-2015, 04:31 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 342

The door slams open at the tail end of her question, allowing in only a gust of wind and a chill making all inside shiver. Heads turn in wonder, the crash of the door as it slams shut making each one jump. Confusion fills their eyes for an instant, and just as quickly they each rationalize it as a simple gust of wind, and nothing else...
Old 03-13-2015, 04:40 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

as the door is closed, a man steps from the shadows adjacent to the back door. He steps to the bar unnoticed. He asks softly but so the barkeep can hear, a tanker of Kefir and what ever you have to eat. the barkeep notices, he is a tall, heavy man almost seven feet and is in well tended and well used leather armor, he has a fur cape made from a bear skin that hangs at an angle covering the his back and half of his left side, his right arm is free and is also armored in leather with a round silver four inch plate on his shoulder and at his elbow. as he places his gloved hand on the bar, the barkeep notices he has six fingers.

Last edited by max crash; 03-13-2015 at 04:49 PM..
Old 03-13-2015, 06:33 PM
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

The Barkeep easily gets the Kefir from under the counter, as well as a warm meal. He then goes back to polishing his glass. (OOC: Yeah, Barkeep is mainly here for show)

While most of the guests dismissed the 'gust of air', one guest isn't fooled. The furry creature with the bat wings holds up a hand for her friend to stop, then takes out a piece of chalk. She draws some strange symbols on the table in front of her and activates them. The soft blue glow is invisible to all but her and similarly magically-attuned people. She looks around, hopefully able to see any living creature.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:59 PM
Clint Flindt (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

"Oy' this be a queer place. Innkeeper, another!", the dwarf said with cheerfully. "Let's light'n up the mood, shall we?" He finished his first ale, and proceeded to grab the other. "So who be you, my little fella', aint' it a bit late for a youngling like ye' to still be up?". He took the second ale from the barkeeper, and chunked down almost half of it in one swig. "Now, i be much more interested in you, bear-man, whats with the extra finger? Ye' be a mutant?".

Last edited by Clint Flindt; 03-14-2015 at 12:25 AM..
Old 03-14-2015, 03:05 AM
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

The Barkeep grabbed another glass.

"Youngling?" the teen replied with a laugh. "I'll have you know I've been here since this world was born. I'm the main helper of the creator, and I keep the stories from getting tangled up in themselves." She scarfed down the steak quickly, not really caring for appearances.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:35 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 342

The shrill cackle of the creature with the bat wings cuts through the room, accompanied by another gust of wind. The occupants look bewildered at the random explosion and never notice frost drifting through the air. Before they recover from their questioning looks the chill has subsided, the last half of the dwarf's ale now gone faint traces of ice the only thing left in the mug. Again the bat laughs, harder now as a single napkin lightly drifts down in front of the teen girls face...
Old 03-14-2015, 04:50 AM
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

She rolls her eyes and snatches it out of the air. "Honestly," she sighed, "how rude. At least order your own ale. So, are you some kind of poltergeist then?"
Old 03-14-2015, 06:53 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

the man in the bear cloak, brings a ferret from under his cloak. he dips a finger into the Kefir and offers a taste to the ferret. the animal sniffs and then licks the thick fermented milk from his finger, the man then allows the creature to sniff around his plate of food. when the ferret eats a bit the man recaptures him and put him back into the inside pocket of his bear skin clock.

he takes a drink from his tankard and says with a smile, "You'll not control that little imp until he has tired of showing off. I've know his kind before." He then takes a bit of his food.

he chews and swallows, "Dwarf where I come from you are the mutant. My mistress would have left you in the cold to die when you were born."

he makes a slight hand motion and delivers a tear shaped red Chrystal laced with gold and hands it to the barkeep to pay for his meal "are we even?"

Last edited by max crash; 03-14-2015 at 07:07 AM..
Old 03-14-2015, 07:02 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

The dwarf wasn't paying attention. He was eying the exotic green-haired lady with lust in his heart, for it had been a fortnight since he'd last got his dwarf freak on. He saddled up to the bar next to the green-haired lady and said, "Come here often?"

The lady smirked and said, "In your dreams."

"Don't be fooled," the dwarf said. "Big things come in small packages -- if you know what I mean."
Old 03-14-2015, 07:13 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 342

The wind blows across the room surrounding the dwarf with all his swagger. Around and around it spins, skin pimpling under its caress, and down falls the bravado ridden dwarf's pants- the chill sufficient to bely his early claim...
Old 03-14-2015, 07:55 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

The bear man laughs and all eyes in the bar turn to him, he pays then no mind because he knows that they each see his face differently, for he has not chosen to reveal his true face.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:29 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 342

The door bursts open, cutting short the laugh of the humanoid grizzly and halting the dwarf midway pulling up his pants.

A woman stumbles in face white with fear, torn clothes barely recognizable under the massive amounts of blood. She collapses to the floor, hand outstretched in a merciful plea, "They..." She gasps, specks of blood flying, "they broke..." With a shudder she issues her death rattle with a final word,"...through..."
Old 03-14-2015, 11:42 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

bear man put his tankard on his plate and disappeared into a shadow in the corner to await what may next come in the door.

after all discretion is the better part of valor.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:58 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 342

....loading........loading........loading.......
Old 03-14-2015, 12:45 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

yes -- loading,

the gauntlet is down someone else chime in or this dwarfs ass is going to hanging out forever.
daes13 (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 01:17 PM
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

The Barkeep takes the gem from the man, and doesn't comment on any of the other happenings.

The teen scowls, then lets the imp have it's way. She looks on, curious, as the woman bursts in and gives her final message.

The green-haired woman, when approached by the dwarf, is somewhat receptive to him until the imp pulls his pants down. "Please, there are children present," she says with a glance at the furry creature. Then the woman bursts in, and the green-haired woman is already up and running to her.
"Damn it," she hisses as the woman died. "Aya, is there anything-"
The furry creature shakes it's head regretfully.
"Then there's nothing we can do but find this 'they" and teach them a lesson," the green-haired one replies.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:27 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 342

The inn itself begins to shake, a shower of dust descending. The deceased woman's body bubbles under the green-haired lady's caring hand. She recoils in terror, but not quickly enough, flesh rips as green blood cascades covering her body, in the moment beautifully accenting her green hair. Steam mingles with her screams as the acidic liquid slowly melts her body, skin flowing from bone, bone detaching from joints. The onlooker's stare in horror at the death throes of the once sexy green-haired lady.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:36 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

a guard of the crown prince stands in the door way, the bear man recognizes the uniform - he steps into the light, dropping his plate and noisily to the floor, his word quickly in hand confronting him, two more guards join their comrade,

bear man's sword is swift as he decapitates two of the guards in a single swing. the third man is frightened so badly that his feet fail him and he falls to the floor,

the bear man picks him up off the floor. "I shall not dispose of your worthless ass today for I have a mission for you, tell your master that Wesley Roberts of the clan of the Gold Dragon is coming for him and I will flay him much slower than he did my brother." he tosses the man to the floor and then stomps his huge foot on the floor, jarring the building. "run fool will I am can still control my anger."

the man scurries out of the open door.

Bear man turns to the onlookers, holstering his sword, "I would like another kefir, if you please. Who will join me for I am in a good mood and will gladly pay."

Last edited by max crash; 03-14-2015 at 01:42 PM..
Old 03-14-2015, 01:40 PM
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

The furry creature quickly steps in, making complicated gestures with her hands. The acid is scraped off the green-haired woman, but the wounds remain.

The green-haired woman thanks the furry creature, then closes her yes to concentrate. Suddenly, her wounds are gone, and she's as fit and healthy as ever.
"Okay, now I'm REALLY pissed off. Come on Aya, let's get to the bottom of this. Anyone coming with me?" The last question was posed to the entire bar.

"I keep stories, not make them," the teen said with a shrug. "You guys go on ahead."

The Barkeep didn't even reply. He just got the bear-man his Keffir.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:48 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 342

A demonic laugh consumes the room- looking all around the folk of the inn search for the issuer- the decapitated head of one of the guards. "Roberts!" It screeches, "I will send as many guards as it takes." It laughs again rolling it's eyes towards the other occupants, "and you!" It cries with conviction, "Should have never made friends with Roberts the -" the bear man cuts off the possessed guards words with a stomp of his giant foot. Grey lumps mingle with red liguid as the skull crunches.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:53 PM
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

The teen looks confused at the head's words. She then waves over the green-haired woman.
"Nia," she whispers, "I think the head and the acid are somehow linked."
Nia, the green-haired woman, glances over at where the head was. "You think so?"
"It could be nothing. There are lots of creators here, more than I'm used to. It may just be that one creator is setting up two plot lines, but-"
"But yadda, yadda, meta shit, I should check it out?" Nia finished.

Nia walked off towards the bear man. "Hey, My companion and I wanna join your quest, free of charge."
Old 03-14-2015, 01:59 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

hum, I care not and you don't have to pay or follow my orders, if you wish to join my quest to further your own than, welcome.

I wonder if they have more fresh bread, and I hope you will accept my offer of a drink. my ferret will test it for poison if you wish.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:06 PM
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

"Yeah, sure. I'll have a jug of vodka. Aya, my companion, will have milk. And there' no need to test for poison. barkeep wouldn't allow anything like that. While we're here, shall we talk tactics? If we're going to work together, we may as well know what each other can do."
Old 03-14-2015, 02:24 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

if you insist, but are you sure our quest is the same. I only want the crown prince on a table so I can carve his skin from his body. if we find the killer of this - whatever - then I will aide in it's demise. but I am big, and strong, and fast, and hold a grudge for longer than I should. if this quest leads to the Prince - as I suspect, then I want him alive and to myself.

he takes the tankard from the bar keep and dips his gloved finger in to so his ferret can test for poison.

ARE THERE OTHERS THAT WANT A PART OF THIS QUEST????
Old 03-14-2015, 02:34 PM
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

"It doesn't really matter, I suppose. Even this doesn't lead to my target, I can come back and investigate more. But so far, this is the only lead I have. Now, not abilities
"I myself am a shapeshifter, although depending on the kind of magic where you come from it may be all I can do to keep this shape. I am also able to talk to animals.
"Aya is able to perform many kinds of magic, but her main focuses are barriers, teleportation, and sleep magic. She can also use runes to seek out magical creatures. Unfortunately, she is unable to say anything except 'Aya', with the occasional 'n' sound in there. As such, it is necessary for me to translate for her.
"You'll have your prince, there's no doubt about that."

Barkeep gave Nia and Aya the drinks they ordered and Roberts some fresh bread, then looked expectantly at him for payment. After all, he did say he would buy them drinks.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:38 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 342

Taking this moment to join in, and hopefully the adventure, the icy wind blows, wrapping the proffered mugs. Leaving behind only ice.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:55 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

so you want in do you, you little imp, well I'll have use of you by morning, for there may be men of the prince hiding in the woods, it would be nice if they had a cold nasty night so they would be easier to deal with in the morning.

he smiled as he walked over to the dead men, then he took what ever gold and other coin they had , he handed it to the bar keeper, "Is that enough?"

he smiled and motioned toward a table. "now ladies what was your quest before you decided to take part in mine?"

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe > Board Games