WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

How important is a books cover art?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Dominic1977 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default How important is a books cover art?

How important do you think a books cover art is? I'm sure someone on this site has had a book published, and had to choose the cover art. If so how important was the cover art to you? Did you choose it, or did the publisher, and how much say did you have?

I know from my own personal experience it affects my buying choice of books. I have never read Lord Of The Rings. It's been on my "must read" list for years. However I can never find a copy that I like. All the ones I see in book stores like Chapters are gross looking soft covers. With totally uninspired covers with little or no art.

I have read the Hobbit, and own a copy I got from the science fiction book club years ago. Its a nice hard cover with a beautiful painted dust jacket.

Last edited by Dominic1977; 04-06-2016 at 07:37 PM..
Old 04-06-2016, 09:22 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

It's like: how hot was your wife when you saw her from across the room for the first time? Okay, maybe you're not married, or your wife wasn't hot when you met, but I'm sure you get the drift. It's important. I can't tell you how many shitty books I've purchased because of an attractive cover.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
anthonymhenley (10-17-2016), wyf (04-08-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 05:05 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 140
Icon8

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
It's like: how hot was your wife when you saw her from across the room for the first time? Okay, maybe you're not married, or your wife wasn't hot when you met, but I'm sure you get the drift. It's important. I can't tell you how many shitty books I've purchased because of an attractive cover.
Or how many masterpieces you've missed because of a crap one...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rincewind For This Useful Post:
anthonymhenley (10-17-2016), brianpatrick (04-07-2016), Gaines (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 06:24 AM
Binx B

I think that's WAY less likely.

Traditionally published books usually have covers that at least aren't terrible. And if we're talking about self-publishing, I'm guessing if you have enough talent and drive to write a masterpiece you probably will understand that you need a decent cover. Crap cover usually means crap writing inside.

Last edited by Binx B; 04-07-2016 at 07:00 AM..
Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

Originally Posted by Dominic1977 View Post
How important do you think a books cover art is? I'm sure someone on this site has had a book published, and had to choose the cover art. If so how important was the cover art to you? Did you choose it, or did the publisher, and how much say did you have?

I know from my own personal experience it affects my buying choice of books. I have never read Lord Of The Rings. It's been on my "must read" list for years. However I can never find a copy that I like. All the ones I see in book stores like Chapters are gross looking soft covers. With totally uninspired covers with little or no art.

I have read the Hobbit, and own a copy I got from the science fiction book club years ago. Its a nice hard cover with a beautiful painted dust jacket.
You must have one helluva comic book collection.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Covers matter!

A story without a cover is just a manuscript.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Dominic1977 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
You must have one helluva comic book collection.

Your right I do, I have some 5000 comics.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:32 AM
skyle (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Related questions

Hello,

I've been writing for many years simply as a hobby and a way to entertain my daughter. After I was recently laid off from a long career I decided to clean out the office and I found a series of books I'd written that my daughter enjoyed, but outgrew long ago. With my extra free time, I thought it might be worth the effort, or at least fun, to try and create an ebook series from these. I apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for these types of questions as I am actually new to ALL forums...not just this one.

My question is about how to create a cover? I've spent the last couple days researching eBook sites and it seems like after I've added my email adress then I'm asked to pay. Are there ways to create covers and ebooks that don't require you to pay first?

Also, are there any forums out there with authors or readers that are willing to read one of my stories and give candid feedback? I've never actually had an adult outside my family read one. It's basically a series about a squirrel that solves crazy problems around his neighborhood. The stories actually all rhyme and have a little mystery for the kids to solve along with the squirrel along the way.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:24 AM
anthonymhenley (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I really like nice covers. Especially when it has an echo of the story in it. But bad covers never stopped me from reading something. And now I read a lot on Kindle s I don't pay too much of an attention to a book cover.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Abhishek_SG (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Nothing substitutes good content. However, the content only becomes relevant once someone engages with it. The first step after publishing is to get the books to the right retailers and to attract customers towards the book. From a marketing standpoint, a cover which is well designed will increase the chances of the book catching a potential customer's eye and by extension increase the probability of a sale. Of-course, this is balanced by other demand generation activities like book signings and other events.In some cases, the author's brand is strong enough to act as a pull. In these instances, the other means of demand generation while still present, may become relatively less important.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe