WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

New Guy

Old 11-23-2016, 03:42 PM
Marc Sayer (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default New Guy

Hi, my name is Marc Sayer. I've been writing for more than 30 years, off and on. Mostly tech articles and columns for car magazines, as restoring and racing cars was my passion at one time, as well as my vocation. I've written regular articles or columns for MG Magazine, AutoX Magazine, Grassroots Motorsports Magazine, Z Car/Z Car and Classic Datsun Magazine, and had individual articles in a few other mags including Roadsters and Ragtops Magazine.

I actually ended up as the owner/publisher of Z Car and Classic Datsun Magazine. Unfortunately in 2001 I tried to take the magazine digital before the public and advertisers were ready for it, and the magazine failed. But I did manage to get out one digital issue, and I was convinced it was the way to go. It allowed us to include so much more graphically, and in terms of total content. Plus it allowed us to link not only to the advertisers' sites, but also to content directly related to the topics we were writing about. I really felt it was a much better medium, but my readers weren't convinced and my advertisers disagreed.

For the last 15 years I've run a dog rescue, and I've had a few articles published in that field. But mostly that's been more doing and a lot less writing. I work with special needs dogs, primarily dogs that are deaf and/or blind, and almost exclusively with Great Danes.

I found this site searching the net for some info, and thought I'd join. I've recently been thinking about getting back into writing, and have been approached by a conservative online site about providing some politically oriented content. Not sure I want to get that serious about it, but I may do a bit now and then.

I am 60 yrs old and live in Oregon with my wife, 7 special needs dogs, and 2 horses. We live up in the foothills of the Cascade mountains, outside a small town called Oakridge.

Last edited by Marc Sayer; 11-23-2016 at 08:03 PM..
Old 11-23-2016, 04:00 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

Welcome Marc
Old 11-24-2016, 03:51 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by Marc Sayer View Post
Hi, my name is Marc Sayer. I've been writing for more than 30 years, off and on. Mostly tech articles and columns for car magazines, as restoring and racing cars was my passion at one time, as well as my vocation. I've written regular articles or columns for MG Magazine, AutoX Magazine, Grassroots Motorsports Magazine, Z Car/Z Car and Classic Datsun Magazine, and had individual articles in a few other mags including Roadsters and Ragtops Magazine.

I actually ended up as the owner/publisher of Z Car and Classic Datsun Magazine. Unfortunately in 2001 I tried to take the magazine digital before the public and advertisers were ready for it, and the magazine failed. But I did manage to get out one digital issue, and I was convinced it was the way to go. It allowed us to include so much more graphically, and in terms of total content. Plus it allowed us to link not only to the advertisers' sites, but also to content directly related to the topics we were writing about. I really felt it was a much better medium, but my readers weren't convinced and my advertisers disagreed.

For the last 15 years I've run a dog rescue, and I've had a few articles published in that field. But mostly that's been more doing and a lot less writing. I work with special needs dogs, primarily dogs that are deaf and/or blind, and almost exclusively with Great Danes.

I found this site searching the net for some info, and thought I'd join. I've recently been thinking about getting back into writing, and have been approached by a conservative online site about providing some politically oriented content. Not sure I want to get that serious about it, but I may do a bit now and then.

I am 60 yrs old and live in Oregon with my wife, 7 special needs dogs, and 2 horses. We live up in the foothills of the Cascade mountains, outside a small town called Oakridge.

After being inundated for months by other personalities (think presidential election here) it is refreshing to encounter one that embodies the traits of a useful human being.

Welcome to the 'hood.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:25 AM
Syxx34 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

hello.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:32 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Howdy Marc Sayer.

I really enjoyed your intro. It's nice to meet someone who has gone trough similar experiences as myself. I've been writing longer than you an I'm in my 70s.

Here's a few comments on topic you mentioned.

You mentioned taking your magazine digital and it failed. Maybe you gave up too quickly. Maybe the subjects you covered needed to be expanded to pull in more readers. Hell, maybe your site was too hard to get around on. Maybe your keywords didn't induce search engines to pull up your site. I assume you planned to make your money from selling eyeballs, and not charging for access to the site. If not, it was bound to fail. But I know that specialized content can be profitable if done correctly.

You work with handicapped dogs is impressive. It must feel good to help them.

You said: "I've recently been thinking about getting back into writing, and have been approached by a conservative online site about providing some politically oriented content."

Why not give it a try? You could even use WB for a beta read prior to posting it for the general public.

Why not jump in here and read some of our work, the comments, then post your own feedback. Just because you've been writing non fiction is no reason to not consider fiction. I think you'll be surprised how fulfilling fiction can be.

So welcome aboard. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Marc Sayer (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
Howdy Marc Sayer.

I really enjoyed your intro. It's nice to meet someone who has gone trough similar experiences as myself. I've been writing longer than you an I'm in my 70s.

Here's a few comments on topic you mentioned.

You mentioned taking your magazine digital and it failed. Maybe you gave up too quickly. Maybe the subjects you covered needed to be expanded to pull in more readers. Hell, maybe your site was too hard to get around on. Maybe your keywords didn't induce search engines to pull up your site. I assume you planned to make your money from selling eyeballs, and not charging for access to the site. If not, it was bound to fail. But I know that specialized content can be profitable if done correctly.

You work with handicapped dogs is impressive. It must feel good to help them.

You said: "I've recently been thinking about getting back into writing, and have been approached by a conservative online site about providing some politically oriented content."

Why not give it a try? You could even use WB for a beta read prior to posting it for the general public.

Why not jump in here and read some of our work, the comments, then post your own feedback. Just because you've been writing non fiction is no reason to not consider fiction. I think you'll be surprised how fulfilling fiction can be.

So welcome aboard. wrc
Well it was the early 2000s, and there was more to it (I had some employees, who did not like the digital idea because it would cost them money, start a competing print magazine and draw off subscribers, writers, designers and advertisers). But part of the problem was my subscribers weren't ready. They weren't techies, they were car guys, and they wanted that paper magazine they could take to the bathroom and read. (if I had heard that specific complaint one more time back then, I think I'd have shot myself). Tablets and digital readers were still pretty much unheard of in the US, so it was computer based or not at all for my readers and most felt even a laptop was too bulky to carry and read on. I had a Fujitsu Stylistic 1000 at the time, but most folks had never even heard of such devices back then.

And the advertisers were completely clueless. Most had websites but were still not thinking digital. So when the competing print magazine cropped up, they left me in droves. If I had had enough cash to keep publishing the digital mag for a year or so, I do believe I might have made it. But I didn't and I had already dropped enough cash into the magazine. So I cut my losses and moved on with life. Today it would b a totally different thing.

I'm still playing with the idea of getting back into writing. Probably won't be for a while, but it's an idea at the back of my head. Anyway, thanks for the kind words and the encouragement.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:37 PM
Marc Sayer (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the kind welcome. It's a nice group here from what I've seen. So many online groups are so, well, unkind. I also build computers and am on a computer group that is so full of arguments and crap, that I regularly just stop visiting it. Anyway, thanks!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:47 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi Marc. You might want to do a search for: 'ways to make money with blogs'. Also a search '... with a website'. You'll be surprised. Carry on. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Pygasus (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Hello Mark, I'm new here, too. I've just started my own online publishing company called Fatdogbooks.com and we are actively looking for writers with expertise in a given field. Ever thought about writing a book? We are a traditional publisher. Look us up on the Web if you get the notion of publishing a book. Good luck, Mike

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions