WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

President Trump

Old 01-30-2017, 05:59 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 135

The United States has never been the perfect country, neither when the Founding Fathers wrote its constitution nor when Trump took office. And if you are expecting to find perfection in this world, then you happen to be the one living in Oz. In closing, All I can do is remind you of this truth: if a ruthless invading force ever sets foot on these shores, for the sake of your children, you will be begging for the "old" United States of America, even with all its imperfections.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:02 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 135

Why would you want the President to screw up? If he does, then all Americans suffer.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:49 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
You're ego needs taming.

BP, I'm sorry your family came from such a God-awful place. Mine reached these shores broke, rolled up their sleeves, and provided food and a roof to other members. The United States of America was no fictional place, neither was the past which presented opportunities the poor immigrants. Things were a bit different back then. The government wasn't handing out free things. We had family, we had friends, and we had community centers which gave to the needy. My grandparents didn't live in Oz. They lived in a love-filled community in New York City's Lower East Side. But, not only did the Italians appreciate that oasis, so did the Jews escaping Russia, the Blacks fleeing the South, and so many other nationalities who appreciated a second chance to make the best of their lives.

Who knows, maybe your grandparents were really happy but forgot to inform you. It's a possibility. I know the old folks I knew (relatives or not) were always smiling and sharing.

So... in an immigrant neighborhood in one of the most immigrant friendly countries on the planet, where diverse groups came together to work hard and make something of themselves and build a new life away from the wars or poverty or persecution of their native lands... they were happy😀

Okay, let's go back to the good old days!
Old 01-30-2017, 06:53 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

Why would you want the President to screw up? If he does, then all Americans suffer.

Because when he screws up, and he will, the people that voted for him will hopefully see that reactionary voting is not a very good idea. Also, hopefully the business as usual politician types will see that they at least have to pretend a little harder to work for the people that elected them, or the people might vote for another DT type candidate.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 135

I don't know why you base your argument on this silly "good old days" idea. Human beings are born into a time frame (an era) in whichever century it may be. And they, as a general rule, they do their best to try to make things go smoothly for their family members and loved ones? Why all this divisive rhetoric about people being born in a different time slot from ours. Babies are born, open their eyes, and cry for mama. It's been happening for thousands of years and will continue happening until the end of the time.

You're bright, but it's like you're stranded on an island unaware of so many things. Fixed thoughts straight from a manual.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

It can't be from a manual. I hate reading directions.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:07 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

Stranded on an island?

I live in a large city and run a service company. I do almost nothing but talk to people everyday.

Maybe it's just that you and I don't agree with each other about Trump.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 135

Trump wasn't the person for the job and neither was Clinton. That's understood.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:21 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 150

Well, love him or hate him, Trump has certainly got people on the march.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

He's certainly cheering up my facebook feed. I look forward to another happy four years of comedy from my American friends.

Republican presidents are always good for the comedians and the cartoonists. Remember that time the president was a self-confessed drunk-driver and general drunkard who couldn't string together two sentences of coherent English and looked like a chimpanzee?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 135

When the Islamic extremists behead someone, do you really think they care whether the person is a Democrat or a Republican? The fact is, the United States and the West, along with their Muslim allies, will be at war with Islamic extremists for a long, long time. I know the Left has no stomach for war and does not even want to ear the words "war" and "Islamic State" used in the same sentence, but this is the condition of today's world.

Playing nice never stopped a bully, even in the playground. As long as you had something of value for them to take, they left you along. But, do you really want to live a life of fright, being extorted for your freedoms? Getting the bully off their back was the reason why the United States was created in the first place.

The war between the West and Islamic extremists will continue and many innocent lives will be lost. This is a selfish statement, but I hope those lives do not belong to my family members or yours, but the red river flows freely.

(Just look at the Middle East ... I would bet a million lives have been lost in the past ten years. Even before the United States became involved there, hundreds of thousands of Muslims were killed fighting among one another. It's a big mess, and it's not Trump's fault nor the United State's fault. There's a lot of evil, power-crazed individuals in this world. If you don't stand up against evil, don't complain when you become enslaved.

// The world is not a dumb American reality show; it's a dangerous place.

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-30-2017 at 12:57 PM..
Old 01-30-2017, 01:29 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

When the Islamic extremists behead someone, do you really think they care whether the person is a Democrat or a Republican? The fact is, the United States and the West, along with their Muslim allies, will be at war with Islamic extremists for a long, long time. I know the Left has no stomach for war and does not even want to ear the words "war" and "Islamic State" used in the same sentence, but this is the condition of today's world.

Playing nice never stopped a bully, even in the playground. As long as you had something of value for them to take, they left you along. But, do you really want to live a life of fright, being extorted for your freedoms? Getting the bully off their back was the reason why the United States was created in the first place.

The war between the West and Islamic extremists will continue and many innocent lives will be lost. This is a selfish statement, but I hope those lives do not belong to my family members or yours, but the red river flows freely.

(Just look at the Middle East ... I would bet a million lives have been lost in the past ten years. Even before the United States became involved there, hundreds of thousands of Muslims were killed fighting among one another. It's a big mess, and it's not Trump's fault nor the United State's fault. There's a lot of evil, power-crazed individuals in this world. If you don't stand up against evil, don't complain when you become enslaved.

// The world is not a dumb American reality show; it's a dangerous place.

You mean the Islamic extremists we funded, trained, and gave weapons to so they could depose regimes that weren't cooperating with our views about how they should run their countries? Those countries where we installed US friendly dictators for financial cooperation, Or the ones we almost unilaterally support in Saudi Arabia so that they keep selling their oil in US dollars?
Old 01-30-2017, 01:32 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

The Trump presidency is by far the most entertaining reality show I've ever seen. I think he should start selling commercial time for his press conferences. It could be like those Super Bowl commercials, only many times a week!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

The Trump presidency is by far the most entertaining reality show

QUOTE]

Got it in one.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:08 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831
Default President Trump

He could take the money he gets from the advertisers and pay off some of the national debt.

I think I'll write him a letter. I'm sure he'll read it.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:16 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Well, he certainly has been fulfilling his campaign promises.

One doesn't usually get that from a professional politician.

And now we begin week two of Donald.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Can't say I have but I have been watching the effects of it's wagging being felt all the way around the world.

Nick, why are you quoting this?

Mr. Pierce, I just like showing off when I get something write. Er, right.

Nick, isn't this a bit childish?

Yo, P., wipe me.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 135

No the Islamic extremists (I know you hate the word, BP) that brought down the Towers. The evil minded-people that would boil you, your wife, and children in hot oil.

You think the United States is imperfect, has nasty policies. Travel abroad. You won't get a lawyer; you'll get a ditch that you will most likely shovel yourself.

The United States has liberated more people than any other nation on this planet. How bad could it be? Did you see any outrage in the streets when Obama banned people from Iraq?

Keep your rusty rifle ready. You just might have to use it.

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-30-2017 at 04:16 PM..
Old 01-30-2017, 04:20 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

I don't hate the word Islamic extremist. Wahhabism is a real thing. When you need to topple a govt that won't cooperate with your economic agenda, who you gonna call?
Old 01-30-2017, 04:23 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 135

The Islamic State progressed under Obama's watch. He sat on his hands and played golf while the evil-doers grew in strength.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein ...

You think crooked Clinton would be better. She robbed Sanders. No different from Trump.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 135

They are ALL in the same business. How naïve are you? You want perfection. You're not going to get it. The best the world offers is "the lesser of the evils." No matter how much you disagree with American politics and its meddling in other's affairs, the United States is still the best out there.

You want perfection? Well, here's how you might get it. Nuke the planet, and when the earth heals in about a million years, maybe the next species to inherit the earth will be much more loving to one another than the species that now runs the planet. Move out of Oz. Grow up.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:39 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

No, Hillary would have been no better, and Obama was disappointing. Sanders would have been stone-walled like Obama was in the congress, and there was literally no other viable candidate. A clean sweep in Washington is what's needed and Trump picked up on that vibe and co-opted it into his message to win the election. Look, he's the president of the US. Nothing we can do about that. Im actually glad he got elected. If we'd gotten a serious politician like Rubio or Cruz it would have been worse. At least this way Trump supporters will really see in the end that the world can't go back to the good old days. The only way is forward.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:49 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

At least this way Trump supporters will really see in the end that the world can't go back to the good old days. The only way is forward.

[/QUOTE]

Aww nuts.

You done gave away the surprise.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:53 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Aww nuts.

You done gave away the surprise.

I could be completely wrong. He could really drain the swamp, fix healthcare, pay off the national debt, make the economy boom, and not get us involved in any new wars.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:41 PM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
. Look, he's the president of the US. Nothing we can do about that.
It's called impeachment. Once someone gets hold of his tax returns they'll probably have a good case for it. The unfortunate part is then you end up with Pence, who in some ways would be worse.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:02 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

Yeah, I'd rather have Trump than Pence.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 150

Since JFK it's a fact that every president has insured their life by having a worse VP.

Do you think US is ripe for breaking up? There's talk elsewhere of California seceding, and Texas makes noises from time to time. I've often thought it's too big for one man to satisfy every interest group.

It's looking more and more likely this will be the UK's fate, and not before time. Brexit is causing great ructions, not helped by May's inept handling of it. We live in interesting times.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Since JFK it's a fact that every president has insured their life by having a worse VP.

Do you think US is ripe for breaking up? There's talk elsewhere of California seceding, and Texas makes noises from time to time. I've often thought it's too big for one man to satisfy every interest group.

It's looking more and more likely this will be the UK's fate, and not before time. Brexit is causing great ructions, not helped by May's inept handling of it. We live in interesting times.

Mohican has a running thread on US states and the question of secession. I still think probably not, but I can say that when every president since Ronald Reagan was elected, I was pretty sure I knew what they would generally do. Trump—I literally have no idea what he will do, or the reaction(s) that'll ensue. It's surreal. A giant reality show where you have no idea what's to come. Indeed, strange times. I wouldn't at this point want to make any definite predictions.

If a large state like California or Texas were to secede successfully, I think it would trigger a lot of other states to take a serious look at the option. California and Texas are so strategic to the United States, I don't know how or if the Fed would allow it.

When the south seceded, we went to war over it. But there were clear cut differences to fight over. Yeah, we've simplified the reasons and causes through revisionist history, but these days the states are so interdependent. I just don't see how the Fed would allow such a bid.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:10 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 135

Rubio and Cruz would have been worse, but Sanders would have been stonewalled?

What kind of comment is that?

I know you're a Democrat but don't you see the bias in that statement. Politics isn't a one-way street and you're not the lone cop directing traffic on it. There are Republicans showing equal displeasure against the Democrats as you show against their candidates.

The distance between supporters of both parties is becoming so wide that it's almost as if we are living in two different nations. Many celebrities were issuing statements about moving to another country if Trump won the election (more bull), but the way I see it is why move at all? Release California and New York from the "States" along with a few other Liberal strongholds so that everyone can live a happy life. If people want out, they shouldn't be forced to remain in a unhappy marriage. That's against their civil liberties and just as much "un-American" as the Muslim ban is. Let the Democrats and the Republics live happily on their own turf because obviously we have drifted far from the idea of "one nation under God."

Simple: "Birds of a feather ...."

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-31-2017 at 06:13 AM..
Old 01-31-2017, 06:39 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

The republican congress obstructed Obama, and they would have obstructed a Sanders admin. too.

Cruz and Rubio are political snakes, just like Hillary

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table