WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Potential TEOTWAKI/SHTF Scenarios

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite TEOTWAKI CAUSE
The election of tRUMP brings the TrumpOcolypse! 0 0%
Financial Meltdown – The Dollar crashes. 0 0%
Solar Flares bring down the grid. 0 0%
Intentional EMP brings down the grid and most computer controlled devices. 0 0%
Breakout of “superbug”, Zombie Apocolypse, ETC 1 25.00%
Jihad crashes society. 0 0%
Climate Emergency. 0 0%
Nuclear War. 0 0%
Political Upheaval. 0 0%
The Rapture from Saint Johns Revelation 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651
Default Potential TEOTWAKI/SHTF Scenarios

TEOTWAKI – The End Of The World As We Know It
SHTF – Shit Hits The Fan

Books, TV Shows and movies deal with this.

How fragile is the current first world model?

And, on a personal level TEOWAKI or SHTF can be an individual, family or community ordeal. (Hurricane Katrina, etc)

Which of the Ten listed causes would be most likely?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

Last edited by Mohican; 05-21-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Old 05-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Does anyone take the possibility of 'Un firing a high nuclear burst over California to cause an EMP seriously?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:51 AM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

TEOWAKI – The End Of The World As We Know It
So shouldn't it be TEOTWAWKI?
Old 05-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 352

He's probably my favorite Japanese filmmaker.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
He's probably my favorite Japanese filmmaker.
Wrong TEOTWAWKI. Shikiro Johannes Teotwawki directed the highly acclaimed release of Godzilla versus Alien, with technical advise from former California Governor Ahnold Shwartznegger.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:04 AM
bluewpc (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 34

I say superbug that eats myelin, the protective coating on our nerves, resulting in a rapid loss of motor and cognitive function. Accompanying symptoms would be total incontinence, vomiting, systemic organ failure, inability to regulate temperature, acute pain, muscle spams, sensory degeneration. In effect your body would simply become a locus of incomprehensible pain before gurgling away into oblivion hooray!

Or my personal favorite the false vacuum theory.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:40 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

Earth will be swallowed by a black hole.

Hey! I heard that remark you Oprah hater!

No car for you.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 352

I think it could be triggered by either a financial meltdown or a pandemic -- or maybe a pandemic could trigger a financial meltdown and/or a breakdown of the power grid and the internet. Any or all of those could lead to political upheaval or even nuclear war. Even our ability to handle a pandemic could be diminished by one of these other occurrences. So maybe it will be some kind of "perfect storm" of catastrophes.

I don't know all that much about the the workings and machinations of the world economy -- but I have a nagging feeling the shit's going to hit the fan, maybe sooner than later.

But what are you gonna do?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I think it could be triggered by either a financial meltdown or a pandemic -- or maybe a pandemic could trigger a financial meltdown and/or a breakdown of the power grid and the internet. Any or all of those could lead to political upheaval or even nuclear war. Even our ability to handle a pandemic could be diminished by one of these other occurrences. So maybe it will be some kind of "perfect storm" of catastrophes.

I don't know all that much about the the workings and machinations of the world economy -- but I have a nagging feeling the shit's going to hit the fan, maybe sooner than later.

But what are you gonna do?
So you're going for a "Rawles-ian" scenario. That may be the most likely.

(John Wesley-Rawles has a series of novels based on a TEOTWAWKI based on economic collapse

One of the unintended consequences is people in the Middle East not extending credit or accepting'Murrican money, thus leaving a lot of US military personnel stranded.....

Old 05-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 352

Who knows. If the power grid and the internet go down, your credit and debit cards won't work -- and even if you had cash, the whole supply chain would be shut down. How long do you think it would take for people to start looting grocery stores? Not long I bet -- although a lot of the food would go bad pretty quickly. I think it would only take a week or so into a major power outage for things to get out of control.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

So every large urban area becomes New Orleans 2 days after Katrina.....

Old 05-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 352

There was gas shortage where I live a couple of years ago. I can't even remember why. Some of the stations were out of gas, but the one where I usually fill up had some. There was a long wait -- and because of the configuration, no real way to organize a que.

People were honking their horns and yelling at each other. One clueless lady got out that squeegee thing to clean her windshield and people started screaming at her. You could see the anxiety on people's faces -- and I really felt it too.

In a power outage scenario, the pumps wouldn't work anyway -- but I'm just illustrating the mindset and that it doesn't take much for panic to set it. I would like to think people could be civil and try to cooperate to some extent, but I think it's unlikely.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

I know, I know, this is one of those things where I should check my sources......

Well, I'll use the NY Post as a backup http://nypost.com/2013/10/15/food-st...ng-at-walmart/

When EBT failures lead to chaos http://www.christianpost.com/news/wa...-store-106713/

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table