WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

My comics:p

Old 03-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Icon10 My comics:p

So, as some of you might know if you read my introduction thread, i draw and write various stories, have been for many years, i have perfected it to my style and have written many, however none of them have been published, my main problem i believe is my own lack of motivation, i struggle with depression and anxiety often. besides that, i draw them now on printer paper and keep them in folders, however i am unsure how to get them to the public, as they are only drawn in pencil, they do not scan in to the computer very well, or make very clear pictures, i don't like the way they look when darkened in, i have done some on the comp simply scanning in as is and darkening in on paint but it still takes some time and i have had a lack of motivation recently, i am posting this all here as sort of an extended introduction and leaving this all open for suggestions or even people who might want to get on board with some of my ideas, the main plot to my stories is this:

- it focuses around small in the middle of nowhere sort of community where the citizens mostly all know each other and at times act fairly cult like.

- it centers mostly around 3 people, "Dawson" "Jack" and "Vinny" Dawson and Jack are friends that often get into competitions, where as Vinny sort of the not so innocent third wheel, joins what ever side he feels like and sort of watches in amusement, many strange things happen in the town, such as aliens, mind control, sentient robots, mob bosses and other stuff like that.

- the backgrounds are fairly basic but often times includes background gags with side characters and/or nods and call backs to previous stories, most of the stories take place outside and it is usually almost always summer,

- the style of writing is fairly dry and includes some slapstick as well, and often times mixes, dark humor and satire, best way i could describe it is, "Calvin and Hobbes" mixed with "Charlie Brown", except older characters, but it is very unique, often times the style is paranoid, as i mentioned above i suffer from social anxiety so the whole series feels a bit secluded and strange.

- the art style is pretty simple and may still evolve, most stories are currently black and white on office papers and drawn with pencil, the art style may be fairly simple and not the best you'll ever see, (it is better than stick men) but it is my own, sometimes i feel like it sort of resembles the simplicity of newspaper comic strips art only in full size stories, it is fairly basic but i often use that to my advantage such as making a lookalike of the main character and building jokes around how similar they are, i often shy away from drawing animals or at least animals shown in full cause with my art style it looks weird and i suck at it lol, most of it also, has not been proof read as it hasn't left the house, so it contains spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes.

that's pretty much it, i have other comics i have drawn as side things, and i often make other characters from other things i have drawn show up in background scenes or as cameos in each other's stories, i have been drawing and writing them for many years, let me know what you think, if you have any advice or tips that would be awesome, if you want to partner up and help get this and other ideas off the ground, or know someone who does feel free to let me know:P sorry for the giant thread, i hope its not in the wrong section, if it is feel free to move it.

Last edited by Electrik; 03-04-2017 at 09:21 AM..
Old 03-04-2017, 10:09 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

My daughters (20 something's) both draw and create comics and character commissions using Clip Studio Paint (software. Less than $100) and drawing tablets ($50 - $400, depending on quality and features).

With these they could create professional web comics and publish them to their own website complete with a blog, comment sections, memberships, etc. in fact, many many people are doing just that these days.

If you want to get your stuff out, you're going to have to go digital. It's the state of the industry now. Anymore these days it would be very difficult if I wrote with pen and paper, for me to get my stuff out there.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
My daughters (20 something's) both draw and create comics and character commissions using Clip Studio Paint (software. Less than $100) and drawing tablets ($50 - $400, depending on quality and features).

With these they could create professional web comics and publish them to their own website complete with a blog, comment sections, memberships, etc. in fact, many many people are doing just that these days.

If you want to get your stuff out, you're going to have to go digital. It's the state of the industry now. Anymore these days it would be very difficult if I wrote with pen and paper, for me to get my stuff out there.

Yes i figured that, however it would take some planning as money isnt great atm:/
Old 03-04-2017, 11:40 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

Originally Posted by Electrik View Post
Yes i figured that, however it would take some planning as money isnt great atm:/

Walmart has layaway. Put down $10 and pay it off slowly.

I think Picklebottom has some affiliation with comic strips, etc. maybe he knows something? Dunno. Sometimes he knows stuff, and sometimes he knows useless stuff. I think he's sick with the art, like I posted above. That's why he seems crazy. Otherwise, it's an English thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (03-05-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I think Picklebottom has some affiliation with comic strips, etc. maybe he knows something? Dunno. Sometimes he knows stuff, and sometimes he knows useless stuff. I think he's sick with the art, like I posted above. That's why he seems crazy. Otherwise, it's an English thing.

Yeah im really hoping to interact with some people with the same interests here. Do you ever read comics? What do you think of my comics?
Old 03-04-2017, 12:34 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

I read comics sometimes. I haven't seen any of your comics, only heard descriptions. Post and I'll read.
Nick Pierce (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I read comics sometimes. I haven't seen any of your comics, only heard descriptions. Post and I'll read.
i will if i get brave lol:P
Old 03-04-2017, 06:26 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740
Default My comics:p

i will if i get brave lol:P

Oh! Now you've commissioned me!

Bravery!

Not being not afraid

But being scared as a pigeon

Under eave—the predators,

The heart-beat like a pumper of

Boom boom life

Banging out the curse

Then doing it anyway.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:35 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

Sorry... I've been reading Nietzsche... and Chatbot.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Oh! Now you've commissioned me!

Bravery!

Not being not afraid

But being scared as a pigeon

Under eave—the predators,

The heart-beat like a pumper of

Boom boom life

Banging out the curse

Then doing it anyway.
hehe, how do you add friends on this site?
Old 03-04-2017, 06:40 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

We are all friends. There is no special friends button. You can block a fucker you don't like, but everyone else is a homie.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

We are all friends. There is no special friends button. You can block a fucker you don't like, but everyone else is a homie.
aw okay lol well, your my first friend then on site
Old 03-04-2017, 07:22 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

A wise choice friend!
Electrik (03-04-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

A wise choice friend!
from the description though, what do you think:P
Old 03-05-2017, 06:42 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

from the description though, what do you think:P

Sounds like the makings of something good, but I'm of the opinion it's not what you write but how you write it.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:47 PM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Sounds like the makings of something good, but I'm of the opinion it's not what you write but how you write it.
true, thing about my stories how i write them, is ussually i have a base idea, maybe a few jokes, maybe even a start or an end then, i add lib the rest and add on to it as im doing it, its like a sudden burst of inspiration, sometimes though a story takes me a long time to finish and i continue adding to it little by little sometimes it winds up choppy but i been doing it awhile so often times it works out nicely
Old 03-05-2017, 07:50 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 365

Well, value is based on how much money someone is willing to put into "it", and seeing as no one has invested any money into my comic opinions, all my comic-related opinions are worthless! But nonetheless, I am a very opinionated person;

So, as some of you might know if you read my introduction thread, i draw and write various stories, have been for many years, i have perfected it to my style and have written many, however none of them have been published, my main problem i believe is my own lack of motivation, i struggle with depression and anxiety often. besides that, i draw them now on printer paper and keep them in folders, however i am unsure how to get them to the public, as they are only drawn in pencil, they do not scan in to the computer very well, or make very clear pictures, i don't like the way they look when darkened in, i have done some on the comp simply scanning in as is and darkening in on paint but it still takes some time and i have had a lack of motivation recently, i am posting this all here as sort of an extended introduction and leaving this all open for suggestions or even people who might want to get on board with some of my ideas, the main plot to my stories is this:

- it focuses around small in the middle of nowhere sort of community where the citizens mostly all know each other and at times act fairly cult like.

- it centers mostly around 3 people, "Dawson" "Jack" and "Vinny" Dawson and Jack are friends that often get into competitions, where as Vinny sort of the not so innocent third wheel, joins what ever side he feels like and sort of watches in amusement, many strange things happen in the town, such as aliens, mind control, sentient robots, mob bosses and other stuff like that.

- the backgrounds are fairly basic but often times includes background gags with side characters and/or nods and call backs to previous stories, most of the stories take place outside and it is usually almost always summer,

- the style of writing is fairly dry and includes some slapstick as well, and often times mixes, dark humor and satire, best way i could describe it is, "Calvin and Hobbes" mixed with "Charlie Brown", except older characters, but it is very unique, often times the style is paranoid, as i mentioned above i suffer from social anxiety so the whole series feels a bit secluded and strange.

- the art style is pretty simple and may still evolve, most stories are currently black and white on office papers and drawn with pencil, the art style may be fairly simple and not the best you'll ever see, (it is better than stick men) but it is my own, sometimes i feel like it sort of resembles the simplicity of newspaper comic strips art only in full size stories, it is fairly basic but i often use that to my advantage such as making a lookalike of the main character and building jokes around how similar they are, i often shy away from drawing animals or at least animals shown in full cause with my art style it looks weird and i suck at it lol, most of it also, has not been proof read as it hasn't left the house, so it contains spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes.

that's pretty much it, i have other comics i have drawn as side things, and i often make other characters from other things i have drawn show up in background scenes or as cameos in each other's stories, i have been drawing and writing them for many years, let me know what you think, if you have any advice or tips that would be awesome, if you want to partner up and help get this and other ideas off the ground, or know someone who does feel free to let me know:P sorry for the giant thread, i hope its not in the wrong section, if it is feel free to move it.
Firstly, I recommend inking, for exactly the reason you give with regards to scanning. But with this, unfortunately it is "harder" relative to how hard a person believes it to be, and does take some practice and experimenting. Alternatively you can take a photograph of the pencilled image and upload it online, it works, but may not have the "feel" you are going for, and depending on your goals it may not inspire too many people to drop some of their hard-won cash/inspire a publisher to publish.

Once you have completed a pencilled drawing, choose the lines that work well for you and draw straight over the image. But be mindful, that once you have inked a pencil drawing you have changed the dynamic (the tone) of the piece (especially if you are choosing only one line from many pencilled lines to be the main "inked" line), and as a result the picture will look "weird". But hopefully with more practice, less so.

The easiest way to demonstrate this is to draw a character and then paint-bucket the entire hair black. With most short-haired characters they instantly look like bad Elvis impersonators. But if, for example, you change the style of the character to be more like Fred Flintstone - with a heavier outline, and smaller hair:head ratio (i.e. Fred has a big head), doing the same thing does not make the character look like Elvis (they look like Fred Flintstone). The reason is the black of the hair of a character with reasonable hair:head ratio overpowers the face of the face of the character. Thus, if you were going for a reasonably proportioned character, avoid only black inking for the hair and include some white and ta-da! Do a Google image search for black and white comic character and note the inclusion of white in the hair. Think tone when inking.

Then, once you have inked a page, on a photocopier/scanner, perhaps at your place of business, when the boss is not looking;

-Size - the standard is 11 inches x 17 inches tabloid (US paper size)
-Black and white (do not choose gray-scale or colour)
-Highest resolution available

Once you have scanned the page, there is some free software, such as GIMP available to "touch up", erase stray lines etc.

With the exception of the scanning (if you do not have a place of business with a photocopier/scanner) this is the easiest and cheapest way to get from paper to screen.

But to address the other point to your post, drawing and writing comics is "harder", relative to how hard a person believes it to be. So keep in mind that it will take time. And from what I understand, a professional comic penciller may take one day on only one page.

As BP states, stick it in a blog, or stick it on Comixology etc, getting "published" is easy with the WWW.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-05-2017, 08:03 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

true, thing about my stories how i write them, is ussually i have a base idea, maybe a few jokes, maybe even a start or an end then, i add lib the rest and add on to it as im doing it, its like a sudden burst of inspiration, sometimes though a story takes me a long time to finish and i continue adding to it little by little sometimes it winds up choppy but i been doing it awhile so often times it works out nicely

I used to write songs and play in bands. Now, I write novels and short stories. I learned, in both, that what matters is the production of work. Having something to show for your efforts is the only thing that matters. For some it comes easy and effortless. I am always in awe of writers like Nick Pierce who seem to be riding the wave of something so personally intense that it explodes out of them constantly. Yeah, yeah, that was a poop joke, but still... others may make only 8 perfect words, molded into a perfect sentence per day—woefully distraught at the effort perfection takes.

There are many paths, but only one destination. Results are what the universe demands. We can talk and talk about the fine details of what it MIGHT be, but until it IS it ISN'T.

Now—make it so number one. (Star Trek joke) :-)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

i tried to post a picture of my characters but its too big lol:P when i made it smaller it didnt post it still:0 any suggestions? also this site doesnt load icons of things? it doesnt like my google chrome browser i guess? lol
Old 03-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,257

Oh, the dither!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Oh, the dither!
the wha? lol
Old 03-09-2017, 04:47 PM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,257

the wha? lol
And the blather.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:22 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

This site is broken for images and things like that.

Upload to google docs and post a link.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Electrik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

This site is broken for images and things like that.

Upload to google docs and post a link.
oh rip D: any idea when that'll be fixed?:0 and i have never used google docs so idk how it all works lol
Old 03-10-2017, 04:44 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

oh rip D: any idea when that'll be fixed?:0 and i have never used google docs so idk how it all works lol

Well, in the beginning of the end I had hopes that it would be fixed soon. Now, I think we'll have to wait until we can rival the ganga sites so admired by our hosts. So... maybe never?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:16 AM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,257

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

Well, in the beginning of the end I had hopes

[/QUOTE]

Time tested Russki homily:

Hope is the last thing to die.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:23 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

Time tested Russki homily:

Hope is the last thing to die.

I see you've been a one man site resurrector lately. I admire your hope.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,257

I see you've been a one man site resurrector lately. I admire your hope.

Oh this ain't hope.

I'm just enjoyin' the unlikelyhood of bein' given a time out by that powers that be.

Seein' as how they largely be absent I ain't even bein' brave.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:55 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 740

Oh this ain't hope.

I'm just enjoyin' the unlikelyhood of bein' given a time out by that powers that be.

Seein' as how they largely be absent I ain't even bein' brave.

I can give you a few lessons in getting the bam hammer, if that's what you want. It's really easy.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Nick Pierce (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 1,257

I can give you a few lessons in getting the bam hammer, if that's what you want. It's really easy.

Thanks for the offer.
I was here during the sometimes referred to fuss.
I remember most of the moves.

What would really be entertaining is for an amnesty email to go out to all who have been barred.

But that would take fresh leadership willing to make dramatic changes.

And lately that only happens in a White House.

So smoke if you got 'em.
The mortar barrage can start any moment and then we're all gone.

Cheerful sort, ain't I?

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe