WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Will Trump's Health-a-majig get up?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:27 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 377
Default Will Trump's Health-a-majig get up?

Apologies for putting this in the Intellekchual Table, as I presume this is supposed to be about intellekchual discussion, but what say you?

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Should we ask the Russians what they are going to influence happening here next?
PickleBottom (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:41 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Should we ask the Russians what they are going to influence happening here next?
That's a good question <looks both ways for FBI and/or Russian agents>, one thing I have been curious about is a certain director of a certain Federal Bureau noted that a certain email investigation was going to be re-opened prior to a certain election. These certain comments could have made a few people rethink voting or not voting for certain candidates...
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
That's a good question <looks both ways for FBI and/or Russian agents>, one thing I have been curious about is a certain director of a certain Federal Bureau noted that a certain email investigation was going to be re-opened prior to a certain election. These certain comments could have made a few people rethink voting or not voting for certain candidates...

I'm uncertain of how any of this influences my happiness and well being but I am certain I will be advised of how I should be feeling when it is appropriate for me to know. Uhh ... that is barring any unauthorized leaks of course.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Hey, I just got this.

Funny, he doesn't look Russian.
PickleBottom (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 06:44 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

Hey, I just got this.

<Smiley Face>
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-23-2017, 07:08 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

The healthcare thing doesn't look good. The Reps have never had a good plan there. I suspect we will eventually end up with an NHIS style plan, but that may be a decade away.

So, no. It will not get up.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (04-02-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
The healthcare thing doesn't look good. The Reps have never had a good plan there. I suspect we will eventually end up with an NHIS style plan, but that may be a decade away.

So, no. It will not get up.

update: bill pulled. no vote.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:37 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

update: bill pulled. no vote.

Yeah, I think the real enemy of American healthcare is capitalism.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:24 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Yeah, I think the real enemy of American healthcare is capitalism.

Have you noticed that working public health care systems of other countries are never discussed in the public forum?
Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

This oughta make your head spin:
international.ucl.dk/life-in-denmark/the-danish-health-care-system/
Old 03-25-2017, 08:38 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Yeah - something is rotten but it ain't in Denmark anymore.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:52 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

I just don't see any other way than non-profit national healthcare. I heard a liberal mouthpiece spooge out some defense of Obamacare the other day: "well, prices are stabilizing and projected to rise much slower in coming years," he said. And I was like: "motherfucker! The prices per working family are already three or four times higher than we can afford! (Yeah, I yell at the radio). We don't need slower increases, what we need is massive reduction in cost all around!"

The US is sitting on a tipping point. I just hope it's not another huge penis disguised as help.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:08 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

I just hope it's not another huge penis disguised as help.

[/QUOTE]

This one may be a turtleneck.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Speaker of the US House of Representatives Paul Ryan is a shitskin (and I'm sugarcoating it) and I would not have relied on him for anything resembling reform, or "reform of a reform".

The people that elected the Republicans want the affordable care act eliminated, an outright repeal versus repeal and replace.

Government run health care is one area where tRUMP is furthest out of touch with his voter base (not the standard Republicans)

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 08:08 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Speaker of the US House of Representatives Paul Ryan is a shitskin (and I'm sugarcoating it) and I would not have relied on him for anything resembling reform, or "reform of a reform".

The people that elected the Republicans want the affordable care act eliminated, an outright repeal versus repeal and replace.

Government run health care is one area where tRUMP is furthest out of touch with his voter base (not the standard Republicans)

I often say to friends that the only way I see American healthcare working is with a national healthcare system. We all pay in with taxes and the government negotiates on our behalf.

There is another way, though. We get rid of insurance all together and go to an all cash system. No middle men.

That what you like Mo? Otherwise, I see a lot of talk from everyone but no solutions.

...and Paul Ryan is a shit-stain. Yeah.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:35 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Pre ACA about 90% were insured and 85% were happy with their insurance.

I wouldn't trust Fed.gov with healthcare for the entire nation.

What does Fed.Gov do well or at at least with a modicum of competancy?

The Military
The National Park System
and....

Well, shit, I'm drawing a blank. All those Federal Departments and I can think of TWO that work as intended.

It would be a stretch to trust them with the % with pre-existing conditions.

I really have to stretch to say there are 10 elected Federal officials - and that included the Executive Branch, the US House and the US Senate.

So if I think that barely 10 our of 537 elected federal officials, the why would I think they could run an effective health care system. The answer is that they couldn't, and it would be more of a shit show than the current failing system.

And one should never trust a mandatory system that the elected class and by and large government class can exclude and exempt itself from.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:38 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

The solution - find a system where the states can run healthcare, if the state and it's citizens want government healthcare. If not, just go to a unsubsidized free market system.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:57 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
The solution - find a system where the states can run healthcare, if the state and it's citizens want government healthcare. If not, just go to a unsubsidized free market system.

The free market solution works for a while until resources and competition drive it to fulfill its main motivation: to make more money. I'm not talking about corporate greed or anything like that. Just pure market forces. A slow churning drive toward efficiency (making a little more money every year to beat inflation and increase profits so that your business is attractive to investors or you can sell it when you retire). So you invent new things to sell. You lessen benefits and services. You increase profits through operations (a classically failed idea). And then once in a while a corrupt and greedy individual hauls off with a boat-load of money and we correct a little.

The thing is: healthcare is not just a product. Capitalism and the market are in opposition to the Hippocratic Oath. Capitalism and the market are not the solution to everything. It does well at driving innovation, and can be a good starting point, but eventually it fails. And that's why it's failing now.
Delegating it back to the states might be a short term reset, but it won't fix the problem.

Q: Why aren't they curing cancer?
A: because there's no money in curing it, only in 'treating' it.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:17 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Every resource on the planet is already owned by someone or something. There is no easy back to the good old days solution. Sure, you can buy resources, but you can't just acquire them with hard work and perseverance.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Although, a mass human extinction would give us a new start. Hmm... how to do that?
Old 04-01-2017, 04:55 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

Q: Why are they creating cancer?
A: Because there's money in 'treating' it.

[/QUOTE]

Invent the demand.
Supply the servicing of it.

Bone breaker by night.
Bone setter by day.

Or, to use a more historically recognizable formula:
Make war
Sell munitions
Old 04-02-2017, 10:26 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

Yep, just like the lizard people are doing, apparently they create the fear, people buy into that fear, and then people become happy when dominated by the lizard people structure
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-02-2017, 10:30 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

The free market solution works for a while until resources and competition drive it to fulfill its main motivation: to make more money. I'm not talking about corporate greed or anything like that. Just pure market forces. A slow churning drive toward efficiency (making a little more money every year to beat inflation and increase profits so that your business is attractive to investors or you can sell it when you retire). So you invent new things to sell. You lessen benefits and services. You increase profits through operations (a classically failed idea). And then once in a while a corrupt and greedy individual hauls off with a boat-load of money and we correct a little.

The thing is: healthcare is not just a product. Capitalism and the market are in opposition to the Hippocratic Oath. Capitalism and the market are not the solution to everything. It does well at driving innovation, and can be a good starting point, but eventually it fails. And that's why it's failing now.
Delegating it back to the states might be a short term reset, but it won't fix the problem.

Q: Why aren't they curing cancer?
A: because there's no money in curing it, only in 'treating' it.
Similar reason why people do not own software anymore. Back when I was a boy, the software that I bought used to be able to do everything I asked of it, nowadays it requires to be continually updated and continually made more secure.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-03-2017, 06:44 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

Hey, I just got this.

Here's another query. Say if, at best, the Russians persuaded people to vote for Trump, why is this a bad thing?

Surely in a democratic process, with a primary process in place, only the most worthwhile candidates will be put forward who are eligible and competent enough to govern the largest economy in the free world. What is the difference between a Clinton run America and a Trump run America?
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-03-2017, 08:32 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Here's another query. Say if, at best, the Russians persuaded people to vote for Trump, why is this a bad thing?

Surely in a democratic process, with a primary process in place, only the most worthwhile candidates will be put forward who are eligible and competent enough to govern the largest economy in the free world. What is the difference between a Clinton run America and a Trump run America?

There isn't a difference between a Trump run America and a Clinton run one. Both are shit. The best candidates don't rise to the top.

Shit vs shit = shit.

Anyone who WANTS to be a POTUS probably won't be a good one, and anybody who would probably be good at it, wouldn't want the job.
PickleBottom (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:51 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

There isn't a difference between a Trump run America and a Clinton run one. Both are shit. The best candidates don't rise to the top.

Shit vs shit = shit.

Anyone who WANTS to be a POTUS probably won't be a good one, and anybody who would probably be good at it, wouldn't want the job.
Absolutely,

If a government of another country funded, trained and weaponised some people who subsequently used a military coup to overthrow a ruling party (and this other country had an investment in this group / the country), than this would be something presumably frowned upon(?)

But if there are two (incompetent) candidates running for the same job, who gives a shit who wins?
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 354

The 71st Annual Tony Awards?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Next years Grammy's. I smell an Aerosmith comeback.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 354

I don't know -- with the Russians, I'm thinking something more lame like Styx or Journey.

But come to think of it -- they might dig those awful Aerosmith power ballads from the 90's.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table