WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

Howdy Doo.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 AM
PinkFloydian21 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Howdy Doo.

Hi folks,

Let me start off by saying hello to each of you. I hope that this can be a place where we can get along and share ideas with each other in a friendly environment. It sure would be different from work .

My name is Matt, and I have been writing for, oh, I guess 7 years or so. Actually, I have been writing for 11 years, but anything before 7 years isn't worth even mentioning. See, I started off in school writing because they "told me to", and it wasn't much fun then. Sure, I'd come up with some interesting ideas, at least to me, but when it was all said and done, I didn't have much of an interest in it.

Then, one night, I had a strange dream. It seemed like something I should write about. I know now that it wasn't, in fact, it was wretched. I wouldn't even tell my worst enemy the original idea I had. However, when I woke up, I had to start writing. And write I did. (Intentional bad grammar). It became all twisted and changed and turned into something completely different from my dream. What came next was a 90-something page "synopsis" of what would eventually evolve into my full-length, multi-part novel masterpiece. It had humble beginnings, but it was still a piece of... well, you're writers, make up a word. I changed it and reworked it into a better piece of, and one day asked someone, "Does this make sense?" Their response: "No."

That was what I needed. I sat down and started from the very beginning, not holding onto any of my original ideas, except for one character, whom I felt deserved to come to life on paper. I changed her ever so slightly and made a perfect universe for her. I created many background notes, constructing her world from the ground up, not missing out on any details.

It took almost seven years for it to become what it is now (I started when I was 13 or 14, wow!), but yet I have come to a stop. What is causing my stepping away? First answer, Laziness. Not in the sense of not wanting to do it, I WANT to finish. I'm just too lazy to think of a way to make it continue. I know how it should end, but I'm afraid that if I write it, it has to be final.

Second, I'm not political. It is a very political novel, and I don't know how to make it believable while still pushing the story forward. "If I say this, how will people react? Would they feel the same in real life that they would in the characters' world? Would the CHARACTERS even believe it?" That is my downfall.

Thirdly, I only have lunch breaks at work to write, and I can't find a quiet, inspirational place to write without being distracted. And when I'm home, my three-month old needs me. How do the professionals do it?

Anyways, I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me out and give me insightful ideas, proof-read, edit, criticize (in a nice, fun way), show me what needs improvement, and just have fun reading the silly story I have created to one day release into the world. I hope that I can do the same for you, though I admit right now that my online time will likely be limited, whereas I haven't got the 'net at my house (or a computer, since I inadvertently killed it ), but I will do my best to help in any way I can.

In closing, I look forward to talking and sharing with each of you and getting to know you all individually.

Best Regards, and Happy Writing,

Matt, "Author"

[Sigpic][/sigpic]
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Nemesis (Offline)
That Beautiful Insanity

Thanks 87

Hello Matt! Welcome to the Wonderful World of WB!

If you have any questions, make sure to check out FAQ. If you're looking for a new challenge, go and check out Prompts and Challenges. It's a great place to flex your creative muscle.

Here at the WB, we are a group of authors (aspiring and published) who work together to improve our craft. That being said, please critique when ever you get the chance.

I look forward to reading your work. Good luck and happy writing!

EDIT: Feel free to PM a staffer if you have any questions.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Welcome to the forum, Matt. I think you'll find this a very amicable community, with a lot of writers eager to help in any way they can. I'd be happy to take a look at any of your work.

SD.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Hi, Matt. Welcome to Writer's Beat. Critique and be critiqued. Browse and enjoy.

That was quite an introduction you gave there! I'm sure you'll find many people here of varying experience who'll help you get yourself back on track with your novel.

On the child care front, it gets easier. I have a fifteen month old who I care for during the day, and who also naps in my arms occasionally while I write. Writing at night, after the kiddies are in bed, is also a good time to snag. If you're a dedicated writer who's also a parent, you learn to make the best of any spare moments you have. (By the way, my wiggleworm daughter in my arms presently says hello, too. Lol)

Anyway, Nemesis has already mentioned the Prompts and Challenges forum in the Writing Craft section. Prompts/challenges are changed biweekly and are a fun way to get some spur-of-the-moment writing in.

Hope to see you around the forums.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Devon; 06-18-2008 at 10:57 AM..
Old 06-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Welcome to the forum.
*hands Matt a cookie*

Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Jarin

Hi, Matt. Enjoy the forum (and the free cookies).

Jarin

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions