WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Passing Time

Old 06-21-2008, 12:50 PM
PinkFloydian21 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Passing Time

What's a good way to pass time in a piece, other than saying "Two weeks later," or "After a while..."

I'm working on a short piece and need to jump quickly to get to the end but don't want to sound too corny or cliche.

[Sigpic][/sigpic]
Old 06-21-2008, 03:28 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Location: Tinian...a tiny isle in the middle of the farthest reaches of the Pacific
Thanks 0

this is really weird!... this is the second post i swear i just answered, but my answer isn't here... did you post the same question on another site i monitor?... such as critiquecircle.com, or writingforums.org?

if not, i must be having some alzheimer's moments! ;-(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi
Old 06-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Chloe (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to Chloe

I think when indicating that time has passed, using a separator (- - -) or introducing the time shift later on (She sat in the chair and stared moodily into the fire. It had been a month since Eric had left her..) can both work well. Sometimes, the time shift does not have to be in the reader's face, so to speak; you can allow a few paragraphs, particularly if the writing is obviously reflecting a change in time.

Just my two cents. =)
Old 06-21-2008, 08:27 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Location: Tinian...a tiny isle in the middle of the farthest reaches of the Pacific
Thanks 0

using a separator (- - -)
???... did you mean a 'line break' where you'd place a '#' in the center of the blank line to indicate change of time/setting/scene?... or what?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Chloe (Offline)

Thanks 4

Oh, sorry for not making myself more clear!

I meant a line break, yes. Often spaced dashes or addition signs are used to indicate a change of scene; I've never seen a single hash mark used, but I'm sure it is in other countries. I'm in Australia, so perhaps conventions are slightly different. It wouldn't be the first time.

I was using the term 'separator' as a kind of catch all, I suppose, for the varying marks and symbols used to indicate change.

Hope that clears things up for you, mammamaia, and for anyone else who may have been confused. =)
Old 06-21-2008, 09:41 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

I'm in Australia, so perhaps conventions are slightly different. It wouldn't be the first time.
So am I... I just call them dashes. Or, specifically, three dashes.

But the suggestion:
or introducing the time shift later on (She sat in the chair and stared moodily into the fire. It had been a month since Eric had left her..) can both work well. Sometimes, the time shift does not have to be in the reader's face, so to speak; you can allow a few paragraphs, particularly if the writing is obviously reflecting a change in time.
is better... from my perspective, anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-21-2008, 09:53 PM
mammamaia (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 0

well, 'line break' is the term publishers use in the us... don't know about in the uk and elsewhere...

Old 06-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Chloe (Offline)

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by SynonymousWords
But the suggestion:

Originally Posted by chloe.spencer
or introducing the time shift later on (She sat in the chair and stared moodily into the fire. It had been a month since Eric had left her..) can both work well. Sometimes, the time shift does not have to be in the reader's face, so to speak; you can allow a few paragraphs, particularly if the writing is obviously reflecting a change in time.
is better... from my perspective, anyway.
It would depend on the situation, I suppose.. but the second option does seem smoother, doesn't it? Still, it is used an awful lot, and doing something different every once in a while is good, also.

Originally Posted by mammamaia
well, 'line break' is the term publishers use in the us... don't know about in the uk and elsewhere...
Ah, well. I'm not 100% sure what we use in Australia (I would assume 'line break', but I am not a publisher, and I don't work in the industry - yet), but all the terminology can be a little confusing sometimes, especially when you throw in the fact that people here come from different countries.

Here's hoping that PinkFloydian can make sense of all this when he/she returns to the thread! I think we hijacked it a little, talking about symbols and separators, and line breaks and things. =)
Old 06-25-2008, 01:48 PM
purple_rose (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

How about just a simple line or two of how your character was getting along?

E.g. "The days that followed left Seb wondering if he had done the right thing"

Bad example, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues